Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

6 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Still gonna try to hit the grocery store tomorrow for Discount Chocolate Day. :D

We recently got around 50 pounds of Reeses cups in one cup packs for a dime and two cup packs for a quarter.

They're shaped like little footballs so the store marked them down to get rid of them as pro football season started to wind down.

Glad to get them because my strategic stockpile of 11.5 ounce bags of chocolate chips for a quarter is nearly exhausted.

2 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Recently I found the Iron Chef channel on Pluto. The original series from Japan. I forgot how much fun this show can be. 

The first year shows were really stilted and formal...or maybe that was just the first few.  Been forever since I saw them.  My only issue is, they used insanely exotic, expensive ingredients to excess...just because they were there.  Truffles or other exotic shrooms.  Sea urchin roe.  The Christmas battle where one of the chefs made a lobster broth using MULTIPLE!!! live lobsters.  Just for the broth.  The whole lobster.  The meat got tossed.  At the time, IIRC, the comment was he used $1000 worth of lobsters...in mid 90's dollars, mind.  (OK, fact checking myself, it was the asparagus battle.  Which makes some sense.)

But hey, HIGH end dining has a fair bit of that.  And it was fun, as were the earlier seasons of Iron Chef America.  The latter years got rather gimmicky, and had several IMO incompetent judges at times.  ICA's slide, as I recall, was largely a mirror of Food Network's slide.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

My only issue is, they used insanely exotic, expensive ingredients to excess...just because they were there.

True, but they'll turn around and have the secret ingredient be onions, or carrots. Weird mix. I saw that asparagus one, and one judge said something really odd... "Oh, it's crunchy! we're not used to that, we only get asparagus in a can here." Huh? Fresh asparagus was exotic to them! That's a real clash of cultures there. 

My friend Marti and I used to parody the show with our own called (creatively enough) Crazy Chef! Today's secret ingredient...

... live cats!

... crystal meth!

... water! 

Ahh, good times.

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The Christmas battle where one of the chefs made a lobster broth using MULTIPLE!!! live lobsters.  Just for the broth.  The whole lobster.  The meat got tossed.  At the time, IIRC, the comment was he used $1000 worth of lobsters...in mid 90's dollars, mind.  (OK, fact checking myself, it was the asparagus battle.  Which makes some sense.)

If memory serves me correctly (😇), that chef got called out for the waste of meat too.

And thanks for the lead, Logan.  Got to watch a couple episodes last night.  It was like seeing an old friend...

I watched the most disturbing episode this morning, Battle Octopus! Even Sakai didn't want to touch the live octopuses.

Live, as in crawling out of the tank, off of the counters... *shudder*

I won't even eat anything with tentacles. The first time I tried to watch that episode (20 years ago) I turned it off because I couldn't take it. This time was easier, but still unsettling. 

That episode was surrounded by escargot and oysters... bring back the potatoes episode! 

5 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

I watched the most disturbing episode this morning, Battle Octopus! Even Sakai didn't want to touch the live octopuses.

Live, as in crawling out of the tank, off of the counters... *shudder*

I won't even eat anything with tentacles. The first time I tried to watch that episode (20 years ago) I turned it off because I couldn't take it. This time was easier, but still unsettling. 

That episode was surrounded by escargot and oysters... bring back the potatoes episode! 

I'd bet many of us have a fear of octopi.  Maybe from bad horror movies as a kid?  More likely the thought of some creepy critter dragging us off to a watery death.  I do vaguely remember that one, with the octopi not going quietly into the night.  

How much seafood is handled raw?  The shellfish are;  IIRC crab goes south REALLY quickly if you don't deal with it;  you don't keep dead, raw crab around.  And it's that whole visual with octopus...even more than squid.  I think I could break down a squid;  octopus would be weird.  I'll eat squid, from time to time, but it's not something I look for.  Relatively bland.  I don't recall ever having had octopus.

Speaking of that, tonight and tomorrow is sockeye salmon.  Looked decent.  Kinda funny, too...there was a smallish tail chunk, and a larger, more complete one.  Took the larger;  looked like, and turned out to be, perfect size to make 2 pieces.  I said I'll be cutting it, counter guy was going, most of my customers ask me to do that...they don't even have knives.  We were both rolling eyes more or less. :)  

Salmon...see, there's a protein I prefer in its raw, smoked or cured forms...I'm not a fan of it cooked (baked/grilled/poached).

There's a seafood place in the Flats of Cleveland that's like THE go-to place to get ingredients. We picked up cast-off cuttings of tuna to make homemade poke this past summer for a really good price.

Salmon is a local product here, and readily available from Alaska; used to have family connections in the local industry.

We tend to bake it, but you have to pay attention.  The thickness of the fish changes importantly, and if you are careless, it'll be overdone on the tail end and not fully cooked further up.  Since my wife's family included commercial fisherman and ate salmon frequently during her formative years, I let her cook it: she knows what she's doing and I don't, really.  Until I married her, salmon was something I ate only in restaurants, or out of a can.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I think I could break down a squid;  octopus would be weird.  I'll eat squid, from time to time, but it's not something I look for.  Relatively bland.  I don't recall ever having had octopus.

I quite like squid salad and ika nigiri, and calamari is pretty decent if it's not overcooked into rubber. But two of the worst things I've ever put in my mouth were tako nigiri and a whole baby octopus. Twice is enough for this lifetime.