Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

I can never get either grilled cheese sandwiches or patty melts right. OK' date=' I've never tried to make a patty melt myself, but I have trouble making grilled cheese. I'm tempted to use my Forman grill, which ought to work but the results are awfully messy and unpleasant. I wonder whether toasting the bread first would make a difference.[/quote']

I screwed up my first few grilled cheese sandwiches, but I got the hang of it pretty quick. How I do it:

1. Skillet on stove, I'd say medium heat. My stove's knobs are labelled from 1-7, I usually put it on 2 1/2-2 3/4s.

2. Melt butter in skillet.

3. Butter one side of a piece of bread (not-toasted). Put in skillet butter-side down.

4. Put cheese on bread. I like to mix cheeses, but of course, do what you like.

5. Butter the other slice of bread; place atop cheese in skillet butter side up.

6. Wait a couple of minutes and flip it. Sometimes I have to do this several times to get them as grilled as I like them. Sometimes, I need to add more butter.

Yes, I know that sounds like a Paula Deen recipe (MOAR BUTTER), but it works for me. :)

You can also, of course, make cheaty grilled cheese sandwiches by making toast, putting the cheese between, and sticking it in the microwave for a little bit, but it's not as good.

I can never get either grilled cheese sandwiches or patty melts right. OK' date=' I've never tried to make a patty melt myself, but I have trouble making grilled cheese. I'm tempted to use my Forman grill, which ought to work but the results are awfully messy and unpleasant. I wonder whether toasting the bread first would make a difference.[/quote']

Sounds like you're using too much... [grasps at a straw] butter or cheese?

I use my Foreman grill to cook Grilled sandwiches.

[Disclaimer: product as described is grilled and made with cheese but only approximates] grilled cheese. I use a very simple recipe:

2 pieces of bread

1 piece of cheese cut to fit between the above pieces of bread.

Butter (or whatever oil/fat you use for grilling your sandwich)

Butter each bread slice on one side only

When the grill is hot enough for cooking, put one piece of bread butter-side down on the grill, followed quickly by the cheese and the last piece of bread, this time, butter-side-up.

Close the grill.

Wait 5 minutes (I use a kitchen timer, preferably with a loud, obnoxious sound)

Open grill and decant a striped approximation that's close enough to grilled cheese for my tastes, and besides, it tastes good with tomato soup!

(Upon rereading the above, maybe it's not so simple?)

I would think the butter would drip out of a Foreman grill too fast to make proper grilled cheese. Collie's tips should get you a pretty decent result though. Probably the most important thing to remember is that it's almost impossible to cook something too slow; too fast is easy...burnt outside and underdone inside...but aside from baked Alaska, too slow is hard to even imagine....

My wife's method for grilled cheese is similar to Collie. (maybe less butter)

Thin layer of mayo on one bread, thin layer of mustard on other bread.

Thin slices of tillamook chedder. (grated works well.)

You actually don't want too use a lot of cheese.

Low to medium heat in skillet. Let the pan heat up to temp.

Butter outside of bread and place in skillet. I usually butter the non-down side as the first side cooks.

Cook until bread is browned (cheese is usually soft by the time first side is done)

Flip

Cook until down side is browned and cheese should be melted then. If cheese is running out a lot, then you probably used too much cheese, but this is mostly YMMV gauge.

Really lazy "grilled cheese" sandwiches:

Toast two pieces of bread

Place toasted bread on microwave safe plate, as if you were making an open face sandwich

Place slices of cheese* on each piece of toast

Microwave on high for 30 - 60 seconds, until cheese melts

carefully slap the two cheesy surfaces together, let cool a moment, and serve

JoeG

*works with processed cheese slices, but I think it's best with Tillamook cheddar

419078_372197502793041_203785576300902_1521820_584311910_n.jpg

Surf N Turf taco: (left taco) shaved strip steak, cooked medium rare, over crispy scalloped potatoes and baby spinach, topped with a browned butter and crab queso blanco sauce

Vegan falafel taco (right taco): Homemade hummus, roasted eggplant caviar, spring greens, fried falafel and shaved bermuda onions. Drizzled with a meyer lemon infused oil

419078_372197502793041_203785576300902_1521820_584311910_n.jpg

I have to stop reading this thread when I am already hungry. You post pics of some simply awesome food, and I know where I will be going if I am anywhere near Cleveland. I've been out there once in 2001, but haven't been back since.

I can't remember if Al's (the drive-in near my high school back in the day) had bacon milkshakes. They had just about every other kind (ketchup and mustard --not together, those are two separate milkshakes -- I remember specifically) but I don't remember bacon on the long list of available flavors. Might've been there; there's lots of it I don't recall.

Onion jam? :nonp: I'm ... intrigued.

From a distance.

I have a recipe kicking around somewhere, never attempted to make it. IIRC you basically caramelize a whole mess of onions. It's kinda like french onion soup, but concentrated. Really good on sandwiches, tarts/quiches, or canapés. Potentially lots of things you can do with it. The only thing stopping me from trying is the sheer volume of onions I'd have to cut. (They might be using something completely different, don't know)

Kinda like jalapenio pepper jelly. It sounds crazy, but once you try it, the world opens up with things to do with it.

I've gushed about B Spot's Vanilla Bean Apple Pie Bacon milkshake before. They do it right. No grease' date=' the bacon is crumbled to a fine consistency and blends well with the apple pie. For $3 extra a shot of bourbon can be added to it. :eg:[/quote']

I'd need to spend about $15 on those extra shots before the milkshake started sounding like a good idea. :drink: