Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

My new personal goal is to become healthy enough to tackle one of those.

To be on the safe side, the husband and I split it between the 2 of us (to be fair, they were charging $16 for the sandwich). On the not so safe side, since orders for that sandwich were backed up, we had as an appetizer the chocolate chip bread pudding.

To be on the safe side' date=' the husband and I split it between the 2 of us (to be fair, they were charging $16 for the sandwich). On the not so safe side, since orders for that sandwich were backed up, we had as an appetizer the chocolate chip bread pudding.[/quote']

Damn, I love bread pudding, too. This sounds like a meal worth going back in the hospital for! :help:

5 Undefeated Eating Challenges

'That Burger' Challenge

Restaurant: That Bar

470_2102577.0

The Inferno Bowl

Restaurant: Nitally's ThaiMex Cuisine

470_2102583.0

The Full-o-Bull Challenge

Restaurant: Cowtown Diner

470_2102585.0

The J&J's Kitchen Sink Challenge

Restaurant: J&J's Pizza Shack

470_2102591.0

The Hail Mary Challenge

Restaurant: Stadium Grill

470_2102617.0

I feel so shamed...this year for Thanksgiving I...

...put aside my turkey leg and didn't eat it until Friday 'cause I was already full. What was wrong with me?!

Anyhoo, the in-laws drafted me to make roasted butternut squash and that turned out well. Loaded it with honey, fresh ginger, cream, cinnamon, a dash of chili powder, black pepper, salt and butter.

In Portland, the legendary Sayler's Country Kitchen steakhouse has a 72-ounce steak that is free if you can finish it and all the trimmings in an hour. The success rate among people who have challenged the massive slab of dead cow is approximately 8% if I have my sums right.

That's about four and a half pounds of beef in one sitting. Once one of my sisters commented it looked more like a roast than a steak (they have a mockup at the lobby entrance).

Even their normal steaks tend to be pretty big. I've had a 16-ounce tenderloin there once (about twice the size of the standard filet mignon -- sorry, guys, no bacon wrapping this time).

In Portland' date=' the legendary Sayler's Country Kitchen steakhouse has a 72-ounce steak that is free if you can finish it and all the trimmings in an hour. The success rate among people who have challenged the massive slab of dead cow is approximately 8% if I have my sums right.

That's about four and a half pounds of beef in one sitting. Once one of my sisters commented it looked more like a roast than a steak (they have a mockup at the lobby entrance).

Even their normal steaks tend to be pretty big. I've had a 16-ounce tenderloin there once (about twice the size of the standard filet mignon -- sorry, guys, no bacon wrapping this time).

I'd gone to Saylar's twice. Once with coworkers and it was ok, but not great. Second time with my wife, the one who went to culinary school (just graduated), they brought her steak and you could smell it rotting. It had been frozen/thawed/frozen at least one cycle. We never went there again.

Changing gears slightly, has anyone worked with speck before? Specifically as a way to bard meat/poultry before roasting? Barding in cooking involves the wrapping of fat (usually bacon) around meat/poultry before roasting so it doesn't dry out. Nothing I've read so far tells me that it'd be a problem to use it in place of bacon, but I don't want to ruin or waste food -- especially since this year I might be roasting a pheasant for Xmas.

I've heard of lard being used, but whatever you use, you'll flavor your meat with it, assuming the fat source has a distinctive flavor. You can get away with bacon on beef (and I think I've heard of it used on venison) because red meats have a pretty strong flavor of their own. I've never had pheasant, so whether its flavor can stand up so that introduced by the added fat ... I have no idea.

Well, the pheasant recipe I've got recommends the barding and it's also just seasoned simply with salt & black pepper. Speck is usually seasoned with juniper when it's cured, so transferring that flavor to the bird might be a possibility. However, that shouldn't be too much to worry about as I've got another recipe, this time for braising the pheasant with juniper berries, so the combination of the two is at least feasible.

Barding in cooking involves the wrapping of fat (usually bacon) around meat/poultry before roasting so it doesn't dry out.

Reminds me of when we had turducken a couple of years ago. A friend commented on how succulent the duck was. "Of course it is, it's meat roasted while stuffed with meat and wrapped in meat."

Melt, as usual, making me drool...

Hot Cocoa Rice Krispie Treat Bread Pudding

Rich cocoa flavored bread pudding with chocolate chunks topped with old fashioned, HOMEMADE rice krispie treats. Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and topped with cocoa marshmallow sauce.

IIRC' date=' Speck is more along the lines of prosciutto. Usually drier and leaner than bacon. If your looking to get some of the flavor ...I might suggest under the skin with the speck, but I would still use bacon on the outside.[/quote']

The small slab I picked up billed itself as "Hungarian Speck" and it looks like it's got paprika on the fat side. Are you familiar with that style?