Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

It was the most horrible thing I've ever had in my mouth. I can not even describe it. I gasp out' date=' "That wasn't guacamole!" And the girl says, "No, it's tuna with green food coloring." I hate tuna to begin with; turning it into ice cream is a new form of evil. :sick:[/quote']

I think I see where you get your inspiration. :)

I love tuna sandwiches and raw tuna in sushi, but flavoring ice cream with it just sounds wrong.

For bacon lovers, if you're ever traveling through Arkansas I would highly recommend stopping here for a meal. The Ozark Folk Center's Skillet Restaurant has far and away the best bacon I've ever tasted. Not sure what they cure it with (it's possible magic is involved).

I love tuna sandwiches and raw tuna in sushi' date=' but flavoring ice cream with it just sounds [i']wrong[/i].

Went to a small but high-end seafood resturant one time with about 25 of my closest friends; we literally filled the whole dining room. The chef comes out and says, "There's an army of you; each of you ordering individually would be chaos, so I'll tell you what. I'll personally prepare a big bunch of my favorite dishes and bring them out to you; you can share them, mix and match, have a bite of everything." So of course we agree!

One of the dishes that comes out is this big fish steak, swimming in butter, covered in these little red and green and black peppercorns. My mouth is watering just looking at it. This looks like heaven. I take one bite, chew it briefly, then quietly spit it out into my napkin. It's tuna. It's not reconstituted tunafish that some hash-slinger spooned out of a can; this is tuna flown in fresh this morning and prepared by a master seafood chef.

I decided that day that if the best tuna in the world tastes that awful to me, then tuna is simply not my thing.

Now, mix that with ice cream (which even you tuna lovers are thinking sounds pretty gross), and imagine my reaction... :nonp:

I should point out, for the record, that this place's homemade ice cream is really, REALLY good. Puts dang near any other ice cream I'd tasted to shame. It's just the "Joke of the Day" flavors that you gotta watch out for. :eek:

It's called Walrus Ice Cream. If you're ever in the area, bunneh highly recommends.

Went to a small but high-end seafood resturant one time with about 25 of my closest friends; we literally filled the whole dining room. The chef comes out and says, "There's an army of you; each of you ordering individually would be chaos, so I'll tell you what. I'll personally prepare a big bunch of my favorite dishes and bring them out to you; you can share them, mix and match, have a bite of everything." So of course we agree!

One of the dishes that comes out is this big fish steak, swimming in butter, covered in these little red and green and black peppercorns. My mouth is watering just looking at it. This looks like heaven. I take one bite, chew it briefly, then quietly spit it out into my napkin. It's tuna. It's not reconstituted tunafish that some hash-slinger spooned out of a can; this is tuna flown in fresh this morning and prepared by a master seafood chef.

I decided that day that if the best tuna in the world tastes that awful to me, then tuna is simply not my thing.

Now, mix that with ice cream (which even you tuna lovers are thinking sounds pretty gross), and imagine my reaction... :nonp:

I like tuna sushi but when heat is applied it's just awful.

I should point out, for the record, that this place's homemade ice cream is really, REALLY good. Puts dang near any other ice cream I'd tasted to shame. It's just the "Joke of the Day" flavors that you gotta watch out for. :eek:

It's called Walrus Ice Cream. If you're ever in the area, bunneh highly recommends.

Is it served in a bukkit?

The Fantasy Hero thread "teleport beacon" would get lots more traffic if it was here in NGD-land and titled "Teleport Bacon". Of course, teleporting someone's bacon away is a terrible, terrible thing that none of us would ever do. :hush:

I looked at that site,and they had a listing for Guinness flavored ice cream. That sounds kind of good if done the right way. Have you had it, or is it one of their jokes?

Just in time for Easter!

Choco-thulu

choco_thulhu.jpg?a=49

I would totally eat a breakfast cereal named Choco-thulu. What's the prize you inside the box? INSANITY.

They could have a whole series of them like those cartoon monster cereals (Count Chocula, BooBerry). My favorite would probably be The Colour Out of Space. I'm imagining wacky fruit flavors and a unique mix of food coloring...and INSANITY

I would totally eat a breakfast cereal named Choco-thulu. What's the prize you inside the box? INSANITY.

They could have a whole series of them like those cartoon monster cereals (Count Chocula, BooBerry). My favorite would probably be The Colour Out of Space. I'm imagining wacky fruit flavors and a unique mix of food coloring...and INSANITY

The problem is that non-euclidian boxes don't fit well on supermarket shelves.

I looked at that site' date='and they had a listing for Guinness flavored ice cream. That sounds kind of good if done the right way. Have you had it, or is it one of their jokes? [/quote']

Pretty sure the Guinness ice cream is for real, but since I'm not a beer lover I've never tried it.

Guinness ice cream is real. I haven't tried it, not a Guinness fan, but dad loves it and liked the ice cream, too. There's also a black & tan ice cream.

black_tan.gif

They brought this out for St Paddy's Day. Then they found out who the Black and Tans were.

I will push anything Michael Symon does to high heavens and tonight was no exception. Tonight, I got to indulge in a glorious pork belly salad as an appetizer at Lola's here in Cleveland. I may have in fact tasted something that is actually better than bacon. :king::hail:

I will push anything Michael Symon does to high heavens and tonight was no exception. Tonight' date=' I got to indulge in a glorious pork belly salad as an appetizer at Lola's here in Cleveland. I may have in fact tasted something that is actually better than bacon. :king::hail:[/quote']

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't pork belly just really thick bacon? I've had it in a sandwich before, and liked it, but that was my impression.

Yeah, it was a bit controversial. Dad never got to try that one, poor guy.

Guinness ice cream was actually a natural evolution when you consider how popular Guinness floats are. (Another one I won't go near.)

36100.jpg

I would do that.

Also, I used to drink Black and Tans all the time made with Guinness and Harp lager at this Irish style place here in Seattle. I didn't realize that it was essentially a British/Loyalist thing. It reminds me of a conversation I once had with someone about Bushmill's vs. Jameson's. A lot of pent up hostility was evident in that one.

Anyway, the pub was nice. They even hired real Irishmen and Irishwomen to work there. They had a really sweet bar maid who was over on some kind of student or work visa. That accent gives me warm feelings in my special place.

I also thought of a new flavor for my Lovecraft cereal brand: Marshmallow Mi-go. Sort of like Luck Charms, but....Oh, you get the point.

Pardon my ignorance' date=' but isn't pork belly just really thick bacon? I've had it in a sandwich before, and liked it, but that was my impression.[/quote']

Consider it "fresh bacon". As in, not smoked or cured.

My Dad used to work at that Ranch Way on Willow Street. I know right where that is. Next time we're in town, we'll have to check it out.