Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Couldn't you just get one or two and eat them off by yourself? That's pretty much what I have to do on the few occasions when I get something from KFC.

I dunno, my wife's schnozzola is significant and her sense of smell is pretty keen. I'm not sure I could eat one anywhere in the house without her knowing it (either that, or the house would smell like Lysol, Febreze, and scented candles).

In very broad terms' date=' are high amounts of fats and sugars both equally bad?[/quote']

Not exactly. Obesity is mostly a matter of insulin response, and insulin resistance. Calorie per calorie, sugar is more of a problem, as it (generally) produces more of an insulin spike, and thus is more of a factor in obesity. That said, too many calories from any source can contribute to obesity. But if you have to cut one thing, cut processed sugar first. Don't worry about natural sugar in whole fruits & vegetables unless you're already lean and trying to get super lean, though processed fruit juices and dried fruits can be a problem for anyone.

"Eat real foods, not too much, mostly plants." Simplistic, but mostly correct.

I'm not a big fan of microwave pancakes. I find their texture rubbery' date=' and they never taste as good as freshly-made pancakes.[/quote']

I've never had a proble with them myself. It does help if you keep them covered while cooking with a microwave-safe bowl--paper towels don't quite do it.

But yes, freshly-made pancakes are best, provided you don't overcook them, and you eat them almost immediately off the griddle. Mmmmmmm. :thumbup:

I've never had a proble with them myself. It does help if you keep them covered while cooking with a microwave-safe bowl--paper towels don't quite do it.

But yes, freshly-made pancakes are best, provided you don't overcook them, and you eat them almost immediately off the griddle. Mmmmmmm. :thumbup:

Reheating is one area where waffles are better then pancakes (They are about the same in other ways IMHO). Make a big batch on the weekend, eat more then you should, then freeze the rest. Straight from the freezer to the toaster oven, and Voila! Instant yummy breakfast on a workday. Pancakes can never recapture that fresh-from-the-griddle aura, while waffles can make a pretty good show of it.

Reheating is one area where waffles are better then pancakes (They are about the same in other ways IMHO). Make a big batch on the weekend' date=' eat more then you should, then freeze the rest. Straight from the freezer to the toaster oven, and Voila! Instant yummy breakfast on a workday. Pancakes can never recapture that fresh-from-the-griddle aura, while waffles can make a pretty good show of it.[/quote']

I agree. I generally prefer waffles, although I haven't had freshly-made ones in a while.

I agree. I generally prefer waffles' date=' although I haven't had freshly-made ones in a while.[/quote']

I finally got a waffle iron last year for Christmas, so we've been eating a lot this year. I could never justify buying one, as for the most part it's a uni-tasker (and not the fire extinguisher), but it made a fine gift. I never order pancakes or waffles while at a restaurant, Years living in New Hampshire taught me that the proper thing for waffles was real maple syrup, and time in Kentucky showed me what some people actually use . Now that I'm back in the north, I can sometimes get real maple while out, but I don't risk it. Plus, when I'm out, I like to get things I can't make at home. Unless I'm near http://www.pollyspancakeparlor.com/ Everyone should go there if they have a chance. Polly's is a NH maple farm that started a pancake house to help push their products. So yummy.

Back on the topics of "food for those who don't care..." and "waffle irons" I give you a recipe of my own creation-- Eggs St. Patrick. Every year for St. Patrick's day we have corned beef and boiled veggies, so leftover meat and potatoes end up in homemade hash on the following weekend. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cook a lot more then I needed to, just for the leftover hash. Now we are trying to keep out weight down here, so I was looking for a way to get nice, crispy hash without frying it up in a lot of oil. The answer: waffle iron. While not as good as a traditionally cooked hash, it was quite good. I would not try it without a good, non-stick iron though (which mine is) I spent more time cleaning the eggs out of the muffin tin I was using to bake a dozen at once (Hint: use a silicone muffin tin). So Eggs St' Patrick: Half an english muffin, wedge of corned beef hash waffle, baked egg (you could poach them, but I was cooking for a crowd) hollandaise sauce on top. It's a riff on eggs benedict, something I often get for breakfast when out, due to how irritating they are to make at home.