Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Didn't any of you suckers get the genegrafted Jaw Expansion 3000 yet?

It's less a matter of jaw extension as 'after the first bite, 75 percent of the contents will squirt out the back onto the plate, thus requiring me to use a fork and knife anyway, so I might as well do so from the get go'.

Looks like a burger with nachos and spanish rice and stuff ... I dunno if I'd like nacho chips on a burger.

And I'd definitely eat it with a fork and knife.

I think there are three patties on top of a sloppy joe mix, topped with nachos, and then the usual burger sides. (Possibly more than three patties, we just see one side. This must be one of those iron stomach dishes that some places see if people can choke down)

You're right. It's a good thing other people doing stuff doesn't bother me. Just so long as they return the favor.

By not bothering you when you're doing stuff?

Lucius Alexander

I was going to bother the palindromedary, but why bother?

His quote for recommendation #13:

It's the best BBQ in Kansas City, which makes it the best BBQ in the world.

made me laugh out loud. Though I suppose it's possible that Bourdain has never actually deigned to travel to Memphis, the Carolinas, or Texas to sample the BBQ before making his pronouncement about the world's best.

It's been my impression that BBQ is like sports teams: people will back their chosen city/team to the death if they have to.

(Partial to Carolina style here myself)

Oh, definitely. It's just that even if everyone agreed that a particular place had the best example of Kansas City style BBQ, there are still three other major styles just as valid and different enough that it's comparing apples to oranges. And my impression of Bourdain is that he'd have made that statement even if the particular restaurant were the only BBQ restaurant he'd ever eaten at. (Personally I prefer Memphis style with dry rub ribs from the Rendezvous being my all-time favorite; public consensus seems to favor Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ.)

It's been my impression that BBQ is like sports teams: people will back their chosen city/team to the death if they have to.

(Partial to Carolina style here myself)

Oh, definitely. It's just that even if everyone agreed that a particular place had the best example of Kansas City style BBQ, there are still three other major styles just as valid and different enough that it's comparing apples to oranges. And my impression of Bourdain is that he'd have made that statement even if the particular restaurant were the only BBQ restaurant he'd ever eaten at. (Personally I prefer Memphis style with dry rub ribs from the Rendezvous being my all-time favorite; public consensus seems to favor Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ.)

I think there needs to be an impartial judge. Tell you what, I'll take the onus upon myself to sort this all out. Send samples, plenty of samples, and I'll tell you what's the best

:D

I'll have to check out Salumi. It's on the south end of downtown and I don't get down there often, but if he's that enthusiastic about it I'd better check it out, since it's local, and the only one on his list within 2000 miles of me.

I'll have to check out Salumi. It's on the south end of downtown and I don't get down there often' date=' but if he's that enthusiastic about it I'd better check it out, since it's local, and the only one on his list within 2000 miles of me.[/quote']

Hey! French laundry is only an 800 mile drive.

Though Seattle has it's share of great eating places.

It's my dream to hit St. John's if I'm ever lucky to visit London. I have a copy of "The Whole Beast", but I've yet to really use it as unfortunately, the husband isn't a fan of innards/weird meats like I am. On the other hand, it does have a very nice roasted tomato recipe that I can vouch for.

I made grey chili yesterday. No red chiles or tomato stuff. The meat was pork. There was half a can of green chiles in it but no tomatillos, and the beans (a can each of kidney beans, black beans, and pinto beans) gave the stuff a somewhat off-putting grey color. Tasted good, though.