Extended breathing: Howzat work?

SSgt Baloo

I'm a little cornfewsed by the description of "extended breathing. Example: LS: Extended breathing, 1 END per minute.

Okay, just how does this work? If the character isn't *really* breathing, does he get recoveries using this LS or not? If not, why bother? You can't simulate a dolphin or a whale or a penguin able to remain submerged for long stretches of time but still able to expend a lot of energy chasing after fish (or whatever). If you can, what's the disadvantage?

Somebody explain this to me carefully and using small words.

Thanks in advance.

SSGT40x33.pngBalooAni.gif

Re: Extended breathing: Howzat work?

I'm a little cornfewsed by the description of "extended breathing. Example: LS: Extended breathing, 1 END per minute.

Okay, just how does this work? If the character isn't *really* breathing, does he get recoveries using this LS or not? If not, why bother? You can't simulate a dolphin or a whale or a penguin able to remain submerged for long stretches of time but still able to expend a lot of energy chasing after fish (or whatever). If you can, what's the disadvantage?

Somebody explain this to me carefully and using small words.

Thanks in advance.

SSGT40x33.pngBalooAni.gif

Seems to me the way it is written, you don't get recoveries, you just take longer to drown if you are not burning END anyway.

I'd personally change that so that 1 point gave you 1 minute before you started drowning after the air goes away, and each point moves one point up the time chart, so a whale might have 20 minutes before losing recoveries, for instance.

Characters holding their breath must spend 1 END each phase in addition to their normal END for things like STR and movement. So a PC with 30 END who is doing nothing but holding his breath at the bottom of a swimming pool will run out of END after 30 phases and start burning stun (and then body).

LS: Extended Breathing pushed back the rate at witch you have to spend "breath endurance". So if our hero had LS: Extended Breathing (1/minute), he could chill at the bottom of the pool for half an hour before taking any damage.

LS does not help with the END cost for things like using your STR, so to create a dolphin-like character who can swim and fight underwater you would still need a lot of END/extra END only for swimming/reduced END/ etc.

I've used an alternative method for running Extended Breathing in some of my games. Characters can elect to take Recoveries, but the END lost as per the rate for Extended Breathing is treated like Long Term Endurance, only recovered through rest or over long periods.