6th Edition WAGs

nexus

What do you think will or won't change for 6th edition?

My guesses are:

The characteristic Comeliness will be eliminated. It might be kept as an optional rule but I'm not optimistic about that

An "Appearance" Talent will be introduced which will provide a set bonus to Interaction skills under certain conditions.

Figured Characteristics will be eliminated.

The Speed Chart will remain but more options for it will be provided.

Energy and Physical Defense will remain separate entities

I think the skill list will remain largely unchanged but some of the suggestions form Ultimate Skill for combing certain skills might placed in the corebook. Seduction will likely be dropped as a separate skill and subsumed under Persuasion.

Re: 6th Edition WAGs

Characteristics will be pared down considerably to FI and TH (Fightin' and Thinkin')

The Speed Chart will be considerably enhanced, retaining the 12-second Turn but splitting it into 120 1/10-second Segments to increase combat granularity. Actions, movement etc. will be determined Segment-by-Segment to make sure that combatty goodness lasts as long as possible so that all that embarrassing social-interaction roleplaying crap gets crammed into whatever time is left.

Skills will be simplified and rationalised down to the basics: Fightin' Things (incorporating Breakin' Things), Fixin' Things (incorporating Makin' Things), Findin' Things and Fakin' Things

Powers will be reduced to three fundamentals: Attackin' Things, Avoidin' Things and Being Cool.

That, in a nutshell, is my vision for the future. Excelsior!

What do you think will or won't change for 6th edition?

My guesses are:

Comeliness will be eliminated. It might be kept as an optional rule but I'm not optimistic about that

Figured Characteristics will be eliminated.

The Speed Chart will remain but more options for it will be provided.

Energy and Physical Defense will remain separate entities

I think the skill list will remain largely unchanged but some of the suggestions form Ultimate Skill for combing certain skills might placed in the corebook. Seduction will likely be dropped as a separate skill

I'd say Comliness isn't going to be dropped entirely, just moved over to being a Talent.

And Seduction just needs a new name, and it'll fit in fine.

TB

Characteristics will be pared down considerably to FI and TH (Fightin' and Thinkin')

The Speed Chart will be considerably enhanced, retaining the 12-second Turn but splitting it into 120 1/10-second Segments to increase combat granularity. Actions, movement etc. will be determined Segment-by-Segment to make sure that combatty goodness lasts as long as possible so that all that embarrassing social-interaction roleplaying crap gets crammed into whatever time is left.

Skills will be simplified and rationalised down to the basics: Fightin' Things (incorporating Breakin' Things), Fixin' Things (incorporating Makin' Things), Findin' Things and Fakin' Things

Powers will be reduced to three fundamentals: Attackin' Things, Avoidin' Things and Being Cool.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

As to the actual post, what do I think will change?

I think figured characteristics will go. I think, other than that, it will be mainly tightening up.

I'd like to change everything to CHAR/3 or CHAR/5, rather than having both, and have everything work off a single central mechanic.

I'd love to have an 'official' thread on presentation ideas. I wouldn't even post anything on the thread, I promise - what do I know? I'll tell you what I know. Not what. Who. I know several people who could make really positive contributions to that thread.

I'd like to change everything to CHAR/3 or CHAR/5, rather than having both, and have everything work off a single central mechanic.

In which case you might as well reduce the attributes values themselves to that same divisor. E.g. if rolls are CHAR/3, then divide all CHAR by 3 and increment the roll directly with the Attribute and call it done. Without figureds there is no point in having an attribute at anything but either the break point or the exact (e.g. 3,6,9,12 [CHAR/3] or 5,8,10,13,15,18 [CHAR/5], etc...).

In which case you might as well reduce the attributes values themselves to that same divisor. E.g. if rolls are CHAR/3' date=' then divide all CHAR by 3 and increment the roll directly with the Attribute and call it done. Without figureds there is no point in having an attribute at anything but either the break point or the exact (e.g. 3,6,9,12 [CHAR/3'] or 5,8,10,13,15,18 [CHAR/5], etc...).

I understand the logic of that but it is not an approach I would take.

STR, for example, already yields partial advantages for STR, from increased damage blocks to being able to wield heavy weapons without penalty and for lifting capacity.

DEX uses the value for determining action order.

CON uses the value for determining if you are stunned.

BODY uses the value for determining if you are dead.

PRE uses the value as a defense as does EGO.

COM uses the value for bragging rights.

In fact it is only really INT that you could reduce in that way but, I've seen some excellent notions as to how you can differentiate between 11 and 12, for example each point over the break point allows you a +1 attempt with teh relevant characteristic once per day.

Major things? I think it is likely that:

Comeliness will be converted into a Talent.

What are currently figured characteristics will be no longer based off of other characteristics, but instead will have their own base set to what they would currently be figured at with base stats of 10s.

All references to inches will be gotten rid of and actual distances will be used instead.

The Speed Chart will remain intact, though more official optional rules may be presented.

3d6 will remain the basis for determining successes, though more official optional rules may be presented.

Much to Steve's chagrin, the metric system will remain the basis of the units in the system. ;)

Other that that, I'm guessing most other changes will be on the order of tightening up the language and presentation.

Major things? I think it is likely that:

Comeliness will be converted into a Talent.

What are currently figured characteristics will be no longer based off of other characteristics, but instead will have their own base set to what they would currently be figured at with base stats of 10s.

All references to inches will be gotten rid of and actual distances will be used instead.

The Speed Chart will remain intact, though more official optional rules may be presented.

3d6 will remain the basis for determining successes, though more official optional rules may be presented.

Much to Steve's chagrin, the metric system will remain the basis of the units in the system. ;)

Other that that, I'm guessing most other changes will be on the order of tightening up the language and presentation.

Pretend that my name was on that post instead of Archermoo's, and you've got my post. ;)

:weep:

There is no "head asplode" emoticon, so that's the best I can do.