A different way of doing Disads

teh bunneh

I've been thinking about doing Disads a little differently in my next game. There's a few reasons for this….

1. One of my players struggles to come up with enough disads in Every. Single. Game. It doesn't matter if the disad point total is 50 or 150. I've more-or-less weaned him off the idea that he can take things like "Fear of Cats (Very Common Total), but he still struggles.
  2. Another one of my players will come up with 300 points of disads in a heartbeat. He doesn't get the points for them of course, but he likes filling up the sheet with psychlims and hunteds and whatnot.
  3. As a GM, I frequently forget to involve people's disads in the game. A 20-point Hunted isn't doing any good unless I have the Hunted show up every once in a while.
  4. I want a way for players to lose old ones without having to spend so many of their hard-earned XPs. I'd also like them to pick up new disads during play and not think I'm just picking on them ("How come I've have to take a Hunted by Dr. Destroyer and I don't get any points for it???") ;)

Anyway, I have a few scattered ideas about how to do this (though, as I said, they're pretty scattered so please bear with me). I'm stealing some ideas from other games, like 7th Sea and M&M. Also, someone may well have already come up with this idea; I do not pretend to be original or anything. So here it is (such as it is):

Instead of buying "negative" points with disads, instead make them positive. As in: You have 350 points to build your character. You also have up to X points to buy disads. You can buy as many as you like (up to the X-point limit), or as few as you like (up to X% limit).

Disads don't give you more points to build your character. However, if a disad you have comes into play during a game session, you get… I dunno, something. Extra XPs… Fate points… Something. Haven't decided what yet.

The way I'm thinking is that there are two types of Disads: Self-generated and GM-generated.

Self-generated disads: These are Disads you play yourself. If your Fear of Fire prevents you from helping a burning comrade, or if your Overconfidence makes you leap into a fight you have no hope of winning, those are self-generated. You can choose to ignore them ("I'm not gonna fight Firelord solo!"), but then you don't get any reward. If you ignore your Disad too often (3 times in a row, maybe?) then it goes away. You've worked through it and it's not worth points anymore, even if it comes up again. "Thank god I got over my crippling fear of fire."

Then there's the GM-generated disads. These are problems the GM throws your way. If your Hunted shows up, or your DNPC gets into trouble, or your Bad Rep means the cops won't listen to your pleas for help, these are GM-generated. Again, if your disad doesn't come up in play after X sessions, it goes away. I'm thinking maybe you get an XP bonus in this case, a "sell-back price" since obviously the GM didn't want to run with this one. (Maybe something like 1 XP per 5 points of disad, with no disad worth more than 20 points?).

I'm also trying to figure out some way to change disads around through play. I guess there's the obvious – trade one out for another of equal value. :think:

Anyway. Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Sacks of money and jewels? Throw 'em all my way. :D

Re: A different way of doing Disads

I think this is an excellent idea, and one I've used myself as a house rule. To me, there are three main benefits:

1. It allows all characters to take as many meaningful Disads as they want for their character, while simultaneously not requiring them to take Disads that may not fit the character concept, just because they feel like they need to get up to a certain amount of total points.
  2. It makes the issue of stupid Disads self-correcting. "You say your character is terrified of rainbow-colored trolley cars? Okay. Of course, he'll likely never encounter a rainbow-colored trolley car in this campaign, so you'll probably never get any benefit from this Disad, but it doesn't hurt anything to write it down."
  3. It also corrects the issue of changing Disads around through play. Namely, don't bother. If you want to add a Disad during play, go ahead and add it. From now on, you'll get additional XP (or whatever you decide the reward is... I always used XP) when that Disad complicates your character's life. Likewise, if you want to remove a Disad during play (between adventures, of course), go ahead and remove it. From now on, you won't get any reward from it, even if it somehow still complicates your character's life.

Hi Teh B: These are obvious ideas but they have worked for me. I typically allow these things...

+ If a player is having a hard time coming up with disads I let them float some points for a couple of games. Often after playing the PC a couple of times they come up with stuff.

+ I also allow players to trade around disads for the first couple of game session or even later if they ask and I think it is ok. Again...as long as the points break even then hec everyone is happy.

+ Sometimes I tell the players that 20 points of disads are Mystery disads which are revealed during the first few sessions. Sometimes they are hunteds, DNPC, etc based on my stories. Different characters can have different mystery disads.

Just some ideas... :thumbup:

They could always get Heroic Action Points for their troubles.

This idea is interesting but it seems to allow characters to not take any weaknesses at all.

OTOH, perhaps the value of the Disadvantage/5 could generate that many HAP every time that it comes into play, thus presenting an incentive to take them.

If I have a 20-pt Hunted that shows up, I get 4 HAP's.

If my 30-pt Susceptibility to Holy Objects is exploited I get 6 more.

Meanwhile Mr. Perfect gets nothing because he didn't take any Disadvantages.

I like the idea of removing Disad's from the point structure.

One thing I've thought about and like the idea of is every Character has to choose 2-3 Disads for their character

1 Internalized (Psych Lim: CvK; Hunting; Phys. Lim; etc) - something that comes from the character itself.

1 Externalize (Hunted; Psych Lim: Subject To Orders; Money) - something that can change rather fluidly and sometimes quickly in play (your Hunted is captured, you get a high paying job, whatever) and can usually be replaced as quickly.

1 Other - a group Disad, a Mystery, or an extra one of either of the above.

You can choose more, but by highlighting 2-3 of them (at a table of even just 4 players) gives the GM a reasonable number to work with as part of the scenario, allows for more players Disads to get 'stage time' and for those who have trouble coming up with Disads the method is easier.

Disads coming into play can be treated however. Simply just Plothooks, XP, whatevers.

I think I posted something on a very similar subject somewhere. Basically, the idea was that the GM would "tag" Disadvantages (perhaps all of them) with XP (1 per session). Every time a player brings a Disad into play, he can collect the accumulated points on it. When the points on a particular Disad accumulate to a certain level (recommend 5), those points go into buying down or off the Disadvantage instead, and reset to 0. This would be the only way a character gains Experience, maybe. This reflects the notion that the only Disadvantages that should be on the sheet are the ones the player finds interesting to roleplay.

Wow. I like it. I've seen similar things, but I think I might try to roll with something like this my next game:

1. The character doesn't get any points for Disadvantages at the start of play. Base Points only. They don't even have to take any if they don't want to.
  2. During play, each and every time I see a Disadvantage roleplayed well or brought into play creatively by the player (or I am tempted to use it against them in a wicked way), I'll mark down an extra point of experience for the session or adventure.
  3. Once the normal value of the Disadvantage is attained in this way, the character will not continue to gain experience from the Disadvantage (at least not as easily; there still might be normal roleplaying awards). At that point the player will have some options. They can figure out how to remove the Disadvantage through story, or transform it significantly into another Disadvantage (no need to make it the same point value, though I might place a cap on the number of Disadvantages active at any given time). Players can even add Disadvantages to their characters as time progresses, and work them into play gradually (as long as we pay attention to our limit on number).

Meaning the players will have to find other creative ways to use the same or a similar concept; morphing their characters' stories as they go. I think that will keep things dynamic, encouraging interesting and long-lasting storylines. I tend to like to see characters advance quickly too, as I often have trouble getting players to stick with a game for significant periods of time and I admit to a little impatience to see things grow anyway. Heh.

While your group of gamers seems too ethical to do so, Bill, I could see people taking this rule and surreptitiously scribbling down relevant disads during the game to compliment actions they just did to try and garner some extra xp.

Maybe put an incrementing Activation Roll on awarding the bonus? First demonstration of compliance and roleplaying the disad, there's an 8- chance for the bonus xp, next demonstration 11-, next 14-, fourth showing automatic +1 xp. Act Roll resets whenever xp is awarded. It would reward consistency in character.

While your group of gamers seems too ethical to do so' date=' Bill, I could see people taking this rule and surreptitiously scribbling down relevant disads during the game to compliment actions they just did to try and garner some extra xp.[/quote']This would only work if the GM didn't have copies of the character sheets. Do any GMs not keep updated copies of the character sheets?

Well, one of the things we have toyed with in a homebrew superhero system that we have been playing with is that of a 'spotlight' mechanism.

We have done it a number of ways but the essence of it is that there is some mechanism by which one of the characters can be placed into the spotlight (reflecting the way that group books often have one character in the forefront of the story for a period, an issue or even a whole story arc).

When that character has the spotlight pointed at them they seem to be capable of of mightier feats and/or more flexible use of powers than they tend to display in normal stories.

I was wondering what you might think of rating disadvantages in terms of added capabilities. For example:

Code versus Killing, total provides +4DC of effect on powers while the disad is in play.

Smaller effect disads might provide less impact.

The added DC might be used to do more damage, be more accurate vary the power by adding some level of area effect, added flash to a laser etc

Disads are often seen to be a way to screw over the character - this would put them more in the light of a way for a character to rise to adversity....

Just a suggestion....

Doc

I think what you propose would work.

Here's what I do. You receive X points to build the character. These are base points. There are no disadvantage points. Instead, you take disadvantages, traits, quirks, or even some things that might currently be considered double edged perks (certain reputations, distinctive features, etc) as 0 point line items. If it comes into play you receive a "hero point." If its something that could theoretically work in your favor, you can spend a hero point to bring it into play.

I've toyed with having even mostly positive perks (such as contacts, who may well want something in return) appear in this format as well. I haven't taken it that far, however, because that requires me to do more work in terms of "hero point economics." I may go that direction in the future, however. As it is, I have players who want their "line items" to come into play because they want the hero points - and they like the flexibility of being able to use some of their defining psych lims as a form of "defense" when social situations come up.

This has settled a lot of the debate about having social skills that have determinant effects over a player character (taking control of their character), which has always been a touchy subject. If the player strenuously objects to the situation (though I tend to take the character's persona into consideration when adjudicating results) they can burn a hero point. If they don't have one - and this only applies to interaction rolls and avoiding character death - I allow them to nullify the situation at the cost of handing out a "villain point."

They become what are essentially narrative tokens. They allow you to take control of aspects of the narrative when you dont like it. The GM, by handing them out is inviting you to take some control over the direction of the storyline as a whole as well as just your character.

As a player you are indicating what hooks you'd like the GM to use in stories and when he does you get benefits.

Doc

They become what are essentially narrative tokens. They allow you to take control of aspects of the narrative when you dont like it. The GM, by handing them out is inviting you to take some control over the direction of the storyline as a whole as well as just your character.

As a player you are indicating what hooks you'd like the GM to use in stories and when he does you get benefits.

Doc

I like the term "narrative token." Stolen. Kudos.

1. One of my players struggles to come up with enough disads in Every. Single. Game. It doesn't matter if the disad point total is 50 or 150. I've more-or-less weaned him off the idea that he can take things like "Fear of Cats (Very Common Total), but he still struggles.
  2. Another one of my players will come up with 300 points of disads in a heartbeat. He doesn't get the points for them of course, but he likes filling up the sheet with psychlims and hunteds and whatnot.
  3. As a GM, I frequently forget to involve people's disads in the game. A 20-point Hunted isn't doing any good unless I have the Hunted show up every once in a while.
  4. I want a way for players to lose old ones without having to spend so many of their hard-earned XPs. I'd also like them to pick up new disads during play and not think I'm just picking on them ("How come I've have to take a Hunted by Dr. Destroyer and I don't get any points for it???") ;)

Anyway, I have a few scattered ideas about how to do this (though, as I said, they're pretty scattered so please bear with me). I'm stealing some ideas from other games, like 7th Sea and M&M. Also, someone may well have already come up with this idea; I do not pretend to be original or anything. So here it is (such as it is):

Instead of buying "negative" points with disads, instead make them positive. As in: You have 350 points to build your character. You also have up to X points to buy disads. You can buy as many as you like (up to the X-point limit), or as few as you like (up to X% limit).

Disads don't give you more points to build your character. However, if a disad you have comes into play during a game session, you get… I dunno, something. Extra XPs… Fate points… Something. Haven't decided what yet.

What you get seems less crucial, at this point, then "you get rewarded when your disadvantages come up rather than getting rewarded up front for simply taking the disadvantages". It could be modified somewhat. Maybe you get a Fate Point for every X points of disadvantages you start the game with, as well as a Fate Point when one comes up in play.

The way I'm thinking is that there are two types of Disads: Self-generated and GM-generated.

Self-generated disads: These are Disads you play yourself. If your Fear of Fire prevents you from helping a burning comrade, or if your Overconfidence makes you leap into a fight you have no hope of winning, those are self-generated. You can choose to ignore them ("I'm not gonna fight Firelord solo!"), but then you don't get any reward. If you ignore your Disad too often (3 times in a row, maybe?) then it goes away. You've worked through it and it's not worth points anymore, even if it comes up again. "Thank god I got over my crippling fear of fire."

Then there's the GM-generated disads. These are problems the GM throws your way. If your Hunted shows up, or your DNPC gets into trouble, or your Bad Rep means the cops won't listen to your pleas for help, these are GM-generated. Again, if your disad doesn't come up in play after X sessions, it goes away. I'm thinking maybe you get an XP bonus in this case, a "sell-back price" since obviously the GM didn't want to run with this one. (Maybe something like 1 XP per 5 points of disad, with no disad worth more than 20 points?).

Combining this with the ability to change disad's around, why should I, the player, not decide, after I got +4 xp because my Hunted didn't show up, to take another Hunted (generated in game this time) because it seems pretty clear the GM is not interested in running my Hunteds, so I get +4 XP every X sessions by continually changing the name of my Hunter. In the X sessions, there must be someone I've motivated to dislike me!

I'm also trying to figure out some way to change disads around through play. I guess there's the obvious – trade one out for another of equal value. :think:

I think this should be a possibility at all times. There's no reason a character who has resolved a disad should not be able to replace it with another. Maybe that Sociopathic Loner has worked through his trust issues, but in the process now has a DNPC Girlfriend who helped him get there. You've finally defeated Lord Destruction, and while he still hates you, he no longer had reason, or means, to hunt you. But you've picked up both a Watched (by others affiliated with LD) and a Reputation in the course of defeating your former Nemesis.

+ If a player is having a hard time coming up with disads I let them float some points for a couple of games. Often after playing the PC a couple of times they come up with stuff.

The player decides on a personality trait - often something that was central to his concept, but not something he could put into words. I think this is a great approach.

+ I also allow players to trade around disads for the first couple of game session or even later if they ask and I think it is ok. Again...as long as the points break even then hec everyone is happy.

Why can't they do this 50 game sessions in, if it makes sense in-game? The character has, after many years, had his faith in the sanctity of life broken by the criminals who hurt and kill innocent people and can't seem to be stopped by anything but death, and has killed the DeathMonger because he just couldn't see any way around it. Rather than "buy off your CVK", why can't the answer be new disadvantages (Hunted: Son of Deathmonger; Protective of Innocents; Reputation: Killer of Deathmonger; Watched - hero group with CVK) that add up to the 20 points CVK buyoff.

This needs to be monitored - revising a full suite of 150 in disad's should not be happening every few sessions - but it seems a far better approach than "either you keep the disad forever or you buy it off; your Disad's are carved in stone".

+ Sometimes I tell the players that 20 points of disads are Mystery disads which are revealed during the first few sessions. Sometimes they are hunteds' date=' DNPC, etc based on my stories. Different characters can have different mystery disads.[/quote']

Combine with #1 - over time, you and I will jointly fill in those disadvantages. Our group rarely has the hero know his Hunted at character design. This seems more consistent with Supers source material.

This idea is interesting but it seems to allow characters to not take any weaknesses at all.

If the rewards are balanced, this is not unreasonable, is it? If I want my character to have no holes, and as a result no Fate Points get generated, why should I not have that option? I'm more concerned about the opposite extreme. "I will not swat the fly for I have a Code vs Killing. I loudly criticize the people in the restaurant eating meat - MEAT IS MURDER! MEAT IS MURDER! Look at me, I'm playing my CVK, where's my Fate Point?"

OTOH' date=' perhaps the value of the Disadvantage/5 could generate that many HAP every time that it comes into play, thus presenting an incentive to take them.[/quote']

In order to make this functional, the value of a disadvantage cannot be increased by its frequency. More common disadvantages should not both provide more opportunities for reward, and greater rewards when they show up.

If the rewards are balanced, this is not unreasonable, is it? If I want my character to have no holes, and as a result no Fate Points get generated, why should I not have that option? I'm more concerned about the opposite extreme. "I will not swat the fly for I have a Code vs Killing. I loudly criticize the people in the restaurant eating meat - MEAT IS MURDER! MEAT IS MURDER! Look at me, I'm playing my CVK, where's my Fate Point?"

I think that this would be a close cousin of "a Disadvantage that doesn't limit a character is worth no points (paraphrasing here)," meaning that if the Disadvantage is not actually limiting the character in the heat of the moment will not generate HAP's.

When they are facing a villain who has been a right brutal son of a gun and maybe deserves to die in many's eyes, then the hero may get those points if he doesn't.

In order to make this functional' date=' the value of a disadvantage cannot be increased by its frequency. More common disadvantages should not both provide more opportunities for reward, and greater rewards when they show up.[/quote']

Agreed. Basically one or the other would have to go.

Great ideas, guys. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't honestly know if this would work well for most groups, but I do have a pretty good suite of players that I trust not to abuse the idea (though they will most certainly work to test it!). :)

Oh, and the "if the GM doesn't use it after X sessions, you "sell it back" for points" is stolen right out of 7th Sea. It was one of the mechanics that I liked. You didn't automatically get to replace it, but the GM could assign you new ones; f'rinstance if the villain's lieutenent survived your last adventure, you might suddenly find yourself with a 2-point Enemy or something. After that, each time the lieutenent showed up, you'd get additional points. If he never shows up again, you can "sell him" for XPs. Don't exactly remember what would happen if you killed him; don't know if you had to pay the points for him or what... :think:

I'll have to look that up when I get home. Anyway, it seemed to work fairly well when we played. :)

Some things i use for disads in other games that fit in with the notions presented -

1 - i give bonus xp for a pc for a session in which his flaw occurs. I give +1 xp if it occurs and +2 xp if it occurs by the player bringing it up in play. This encourages him to remember and remind me as gm of his flaws when they bite. Furthermore, i give +1xp to everyone as a bonus if everyone had a flaw occur during a session - so this encourages everyone else to help remember your flaws and point them out. Since the payoff for flaws is "when they occur you get more" its ridiculously easy to change them and remove them whenever the character traits change - no additional accounting required.

Also, i tend to define flaws as actual hampering the character as in something definable. So for instance when someones fear of snakes comes up, i can "spend their flaw points" to do things like apply penalties to die rolls or to cost them actions "your character is momentarily overcome, lose one action" or even in extreme cases to choose actios "you jump back behind the corner when you spotted the snakes" So in this way, the psyche lims dont rely on player roleplaying to determine their payoff and they switch from "my character's personality" to "an actual limitation and hindrance"

Adapting this to hero, various psych lims could have a default "what happens" or several defined and when the circumstances occur the character be fored to roll to avoid the penalty.

it would be very simple to provide a short list of possible effects (such as move at half dex, lose half action, lose full action, and "gm choose action )

penalties to all die rolls (-1, -2, -3 etc) and how long they last (initial phase of exposure, first 1d6 phases of exposure, or full time of exposure), how hard it is to ignore (routine ego rolls to beat penalty, difficult ego roll to beat penalty, or cannot roll to ignore ) and give each a price and let the player build his "psych lim" from the ground up as a concrete thing that will limit the character.

My game gauges the intensity with flaw points, and the more of the points i spend the greater the effect and so far it has worked just fine.

Another option for HERo would be to define the severity using LUCK POINTS, and the luck dice options presented in the book. in this case the player would choose to buy between 1-3 UNLUCK dice that would be given as LUCK POINTS to his advarsaries when the disads occur. They can use them for forcing rerolls getting rerolls and such as appropriate. The rationale for "the enemy rerolled and the miss hit me" would be something like "if you weren't distracted by the snakes you normally would have avoided that one"

The difficulty with 'reward dsadvantages' is that some of them are going to be entirely int he control of the GM, like Hunted type disads, and some largely in the control of the player - many psych lims, for instance.

If you get a reward, say in XP, for each instance of the disad in play, you run inot eh problem that either the application is a GM fiat, or the player may keep pushing the character into situations just to trigger the disadvantage.

I like the idea in principle but I think the application would need to be carefully consdered, or you could get substantial imbalances in character power levels.

One possible way to go might be to consider allowing only a certain number of instances of disadvantage use you can get rewarded for, perhaps based on the number of points you have spent on that before the reward halves.

For instance, if you have 20 points in 'Fear of cats', you get an X every time you deal with a cat for the first 20 XP, then only 1 XP per 2 instances of dealing with cats thereafter - your ability to learn from the experience attenuates over time.

The difficulty with 'reward dsadvantages' is that some of them are going to be entirely int he control of the GM, like Hunted type disads, and some largely in the control of the player - many psych lims, for instance.

If you get a reward, say in XP, for each instance of the disad in play, you run inot eh problem that either the application is a GM fiat, or the player may keep pushing the character into situations just to trigger the disadvantage.

I like the idea in principle but I think the application would need to be carefully consdered, or you could get substantial imbalances in character power levels.

One possible way to go might be to consider allowing only a certain number of instances of disadvantage use you can get rewarded for, perhaps based on the number of points you have spent on that before the reward halves.

For instance, if you have 20 points in 'Fear of cats', you get an X every time you deal with a cat for the first 20 XP, then only 1 XP per 2 instances of dealing with cats thereafter - your ability to learn from the experience attenuates over time.

At its essence, what a lot of us are doing (albeit in our own hero-centric way) is implementing a version of the Aspect system from FATE. Fate has a set of guidelines that, if using "Hero points" as the reward / cost for the "narrative token" coming into play (be it for or against you) curtails the "syndrome" of which you speak - because the essential currency of that game is Fate Points.

It boils down like this: if, during the course of an adventure, a "narrative token" is used, it is checked off. It can be "invoked" by the player at the cost of 1 Fate Point (Hero Point), or "compelled" by the GM at a reward of 1 Fate Point. Nevertheless, it cannot come into play again until 1) a new adventure starts, 2) a pre-agreed upon set of conditions are met, or 3) the GM decides enough time in narrative or change in circumstance has occurred to "reset" the Aspect.

However, you can also set a "number of uses per scenario" for each Aspect. You can also, if you want to dig deeper and add another layer, implement a bidding system to determine when an aspect comes into play. That's more complex, and not really within the scope of our conversation, but its an option that can be researched.

In summary: I agree that the potential problem you perceive exists, but its also very easily addressed.

I'm totally for removing disads from character points too. Heroic Points (or luck dice if you want) should work well. Everytime you succumb to a disad, you get some HPs, everytime you strain to ignore it, you have to pay some (probably less than you would get, I propose 1:3). Mainly carrot, very little stick.

And yeah, I would sooooo drown in HPs, I would not need more than 3 OCV ever :)