Some ideas on my spell casting system

JmOz

Just gathering thoughts, tell me what you think

Spell casting is a talent, you must have the prereq talent to advance higher

2 points, Mage sight: This talent requres a Magic Skill Roll and full concentration, it can be bought without concentration for +2, or without RSR for +1

2 Spellcasting ability: This allows for the casting of the simplist spells (level 0), the character does not know any spells however

+4 per spell level (Must have a minimum of 6 spells from the previous level to advance, except for level 1 where you must have 3 level 0 spells)

+1 per spell up to level 3, +0 after 6 spells

+2 per spell above level 3, +0 after 6 spells

The character must keep a list of spells that he knows, even after the 6 spells per level, all spells have RSR, Side effects, and -1/2 in other limitations, and have been created by the GM

Scrolls and potions, a character can make scrolls and potions for spells at 1/2 there spell level, there is in game costs and RSR that the GM will make (You never know wether or not you screwed up or not...)

that is basicaly the idea, the reason for the 6 spells is I want the heroes to work to advance but I also want wizards with LOTS of spells, I mean ungodly lots of spells, the way a VPP is, but when they are new I want them to work a little bit towards it

Re: Some ideas on my spell casting system

Just gathering thoughts, tell me what you think

Spell casting is a talent, you must have the prereq talent to advance higher

2 points, Mage sight: This talent requres a Magic Skill Roll and full concentration, it can be bought without concentration for +2, or without RSR for +1

2 Spellcasting ability: This allows for the casting of the simplist spells (level 0), the character does not know any spells however

+4 per spell level (Must have a minimum of 6 spells from the previous level to advance, except for level 1 where you must have 3 level 0 spells)

+1 per spell up to level 3, +0 after 6 spells

+2 per spell above level 3, +0 after 6 spells

The character must keep a list of spells that he knows, even after the 6 spells per level, all spells have RSR, Side effects, and -1/2 in other limitations, and have been created by the GM

Scrolls and potions, a character can make scrolls and potions for spells at 1/2 there spell level, there is in game costs and RSR that the GM will make (You never know wether or not you screwed up or not...)

that is basicaly the idea, the reason for the 6 spells is I want the heroes to work to advance but I also want wizards with LOTS of spells, I mean ungodly lots of spells, the way a VPP is, but when they are new I want them to work a little bit towards it

Why not just use a VPP? Initially they will have to spend a goodly chunk of points to get it functioning, but after that, they will be able to expand it as they go and there's no limit on how many spells they can learn.

cheers, Mark

Side effects:

I always have a problem with these.

I was thinking, how about Side Effect as a variable extra casting time. Spell never fails but if you roll over the hit number the difference is extra action phases you have to concentrate, uninterupted and undistracted, to get the effect.

Side Effect(-1/2) Difference is half action phases

Side Effect (-1) Difference is full action phases.

END and any other costs are expended as soon as player announces he's starting to cast the spell.

One reason I like this is that I can't recall any MU casting a spell that simply failed without a reason. The MU might not be strong/high level enough (not enough END) or get distracted by the arrow sprouting from his arm or whatever; but no MU starts casting a spell that might not work unless he's truely desparate. Even then it will probably happen but burn him out. The whole point of all that studying was to be able to cast the spell successfully.

The other reason I like this is that while a spell may go off instantaneously, easier spells are like that, a more powerful spell will still execute but may take longer to cast. May, not for sure, like with extra casting time as a LIM. Take the APs/5 or /10 to reduce the Hit Number so that spells generally take more than one 1/2 action phase to cast. For those times when speed is absolutely necessary scrolls, triggered spells, potions and such provide the means.

Keldrak

Why not just use a VPP? Initially they will have to spend a goodly chunk of points to get it functioning, but after that, they will be able to expand it as they go and there's no limit on how many spells they can learn.

cheers, Mark

2 reasons, there is a bit of a shell game going on with this game where the new players are not seeing all that is under the hood, the second reason is I am using a idea for a combined VPP/MP, that is where I got the pricing from...