Indestructible Extra Limbs/Stretching?

Re: Indestructible Extra Limbs/Stretching?

I just realized there's one problem with the whole Clinging + Ranged idea. Under the RaW' date=' it's not allowed. Clinging is a power that has a range of "Self". On page 101 of 5ER, it says this about Self-ranged powers:[/quote']

There you go, reading the rules and spoiling everyone's fun. :)

I think that I would, as GM, consider this as one of the times that doesn't fit into the general category. Other GMs will vary which would make this build pretty much non portable between games.

Doc

Since this is my first post on the forums I'd like to start by saying hi to everyone. :)

I've been a fan of the hero system for years but I'm no means an expert so I figured I should ask the gurus.

Here is my question: How can I have extra limbs/stretching that can't be attacked and/or damaged in any way?

Thanks in advance.

Er...no

:D

If you can see them then they are part of the power and can be attacked, even if only by a dispel. Presumably there are things that can cut through dense shadows, swords of light and such.

Even the stretching/does not cross intervening space will only prevent you being damaged in the intervening space - at the point of grab the target, for instance, should still be able to damage you. The clinging with range - wildly inventive - slightly confused as to how that works (even if it could, legally - we worry not about such trifles)

Now I know this is not what you asked for, but I get the impression that what you are actually after is something that CAN be damaged, but that isn't going to damage you.

How about you buy TELEKINESIS - bear with me - and limit it that it DOES have action/reaction (say -1/2), which means you could be pulled about by the tentacle (although you can always turn teh power off to prevent this. It also means you could pull yourself about by the tentacle - to simulate that just buy linked swinging, or maybe flight. If you want people to be able to hack through the shadow tentacles without harming you (and amke the power cheaper) buy the TK with the limtiation 'physical manifestation'.

Good to go.

This version is physically indestructible and allows you to pull stuff (including yourself) about but not be pulled. The inches of flight should be equal to the distance you can running throw a 100kg object (yourself) with the TK strength - haven't got the book, but you can look it up and adjust.

Shadow Tentacles

60 1) Shadow Tentacles: Telekinesis (33 STR), Fine Manipulation 6 END

24 2) Shadow Tentacle Reaction: Flight 12", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (36 Active Points); Linked (Shadow Tentacles; -1/2) 0 END

I think this is an excellent question. Spears and other long weapons are also often built with Stretching' date=' and while they can be attacked, it doesn't (or shouldn't) harm the character when they are. A Focus maybe?[/quote']

Certainly a spear is (or can be built as) a focus and so it is the focus that would take the damage. Trouble is, once it has, it is all broke. Boo hoo.

Ultimately you have to decide what it is you want to be able to do with your tentacles befre you can meaningfully sit down to build them.

But TK still feels right :D

Shadow Tentacles

60 1) Shadow Tentacles: Telekinesis (33 STR), Fine Manipulation 6 END

24 2) Shadow Tentacle Reaction: Flight 12", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (36 Active Points); Linked (Shadow Tentacles; -1/2) 0 END

Thanks for all the help. I really like the build concept with TK and flight. It’s simple and makes more sense then I ever have :)

I added your other suggested limitations to your build. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Shadow Tentacles

- Shadow Tentacles: Telekinesis (30 STR), Fine Manipulation (55 Active Points); Action/Reaction (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Normal Limited Range 10” (-1/2) Total Cost: 24 Points.

- Shadow Tentacle Reaction: Flight 16”, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (48 Active Points); Linked (Shadow Tentacles; -1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) Total Cost: 27 Points.

I just have a couple questions:

1) If I have opponents or other objects currently in a grab would those things come with me if I were picked up by a flying character? I assume yes as long as I have enough TK STR.

2) I added ‘Only In Contact With A Surface’ limitation to the flight since I would have to use the side of a building to ‘fly’ to the top. Would touching and object with my TK be considered as being in contact with that object?

3) Would I need to increase my flight if I wanted to carry dates to the top of a building to watch the sunset? Or is this covered by my TK STR?

I think this is an excellent question. Spears and other long weapons are also often built with Stretching' date=' and while they can be attacked, it doesn't (or shouldn't) harm the character when they are. A Focus maybe?[/quote']

Not Focus... Physical Manifestation. I believe that Physical Manifestation on Stretching & Extra Limbs would prevent the character from taking damage done to the "Limbs". I *think* this is legal, though I haven't researched it yet.

Thanks for all the help. I really like the build concept with TK and flight. It’s simple and makes more sense then I ever have :)

I added your other suggested limitations to your build. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Shadow Tentacles

- Shadow Tentacles: Telekinesis (30 STR), Fine Manipulation (55 Active Points); Action/Reaction (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4), Normal Limited Range 10” (-1/2) Total Cost: 24 Points.

- Shadow Tentacle Reaction: Flight 16”, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (48 Active Points); Linked (Shadow Tentacles; -1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) Total Cost: 27 Points.

I just have a couple questions:

1) If I have opponents or other objects currently in a grab would those things come with me if I were picked up by a flying character? I assume yes as long as I have enough TK STR.

2) I added ‘Only In Contact With A Surface’ limitation to the flight since I would have to use the side of a building to ‘fly’ to the top. Would touching and object with my TK be considered as being in contact with that object?

3) Would I need to increase my flight if I wanted to carry dates to the top of a building to watch the sunset? Or is this covered by my TK STR?

That looks like it will fly :)

I'd say objects already grabbed would come with you, subject to overall weight, the 'only in contact with a surface' limitation sounds sensible. You might want to change it to 'only within 10" of a surface', but that is still worth a limitation in my book, and you wouldn't need to increase your flight to carry someone - the TK should deal with that.

All only my opinion though - best to check with your GM.