"Rechargeable Batteries", one for each SFX

Round 2:

I am trying to make a character who can absorb any form of energy and then release it again (the same type of energy, in due proportion). For example, He absorbs X amount of heat energy and it adds to his reserve for Fire/Heat SFX. Later, he can release ~X Fire/Heat energy through an EB of some kind. Similarly, he could release electricity by absorbing electricity, light by absorbing light, sound by absorbing sound... And he can store all of these at once, giving him a wide range of options for dishing it back out.

How exactly would one model that? (Actually, light would be harder... let's drop that for now and think only in terms of EB's... Unless you want to.)

I was thinking that absorbing into END reserves would be appropriate, but the problem becomes how to have an END reserve ready for when you have to absorb some arbitrary energy? That kind of variance and multiplicity seems to demand a VPP, but Hero Designer at least complains when an END reserve is placed in a pool. And anyways changing powers in a VPP costs at least a 0-phase action, right? That would still keep the END reserves from being available right when they're needed. Would the option "Cannot control when or how powers change" be appropriate and/or useful?

What would you do?

Re: "Rechargeable Batteries", one for each SFX

Variable Special Effects; Any.

The a Limitation: Must "Absorb" SFX before able to use it.

How the absorption is done is up to you.

One idea is Absorption to a VPP with nothing but END Reserves in it. You could switch out which END Reserve you needed by SFX, only using those that have END in them.

Or, simply talk it over with your GM; perhaps getting Hit with an SFX allows you to "absorb" or "store" that SFX for later use - maybe use it as many times as it had Active Points/10 or some other formula.

...And he can store all of these at once' date=' giving him a wide range of options for dishing it back out...[/quote']

END Reserve for each SFX Grouping that powers a matching VPP Powers Set.

Just An Idea

- Christopher Mullins

As has been pointed out several times, the big problem with END reserve is that it often paying points for what is effectively a limitation to your power.

I would think about going with recoverable charges - it requires the player to record the number of times they have been hit with attacks of particular SFX and can then replicate later.

So having bought eight charges the player will begin by being unable to fire any Energy blasts at all (or agree some mix of SFX with the GM). As he runs out of charges the player has to record each time that he gets hit with a particular SFX and mark it down on the list of eight charges that he can then call on later. I would make the player purchase anf SFX on his EB (but limit the cost of the advantage by 'only those SFX recently hit with' -1/2).

I would allow the player to decide if their charges are fully there whether to change SFX or retain the ones already stored.

Doc

As has been pointed out several times, the big problem with END reserve is that it often paying points for what is effectively a limitation to your power.

I don't think so in this case. If you don't by a recovery (since it recovers with absorbtion) you are essentially buying 5 END for 1 CP. The "only recovers in certain circumstances" limitation, if bought on regular END, would have to be worth a -1 (well -3/4 technically) which I think is about fair.

Your way also has the limitation of no matter how many times he's hit, he can only shoot back 8 times (or however many charges he has).

So in this case, I think END Reserve with Variable SFX Energy Blast is the way to go.