If Earth was hit by a Meteor

Susano

Re: If Earth was hit by a Meteor

Because most people aren't focussed on survival of the species' date=' but on survival of self. They are more concerned with their own job, where to get food, gas, clothing, etc... and barely pay attention to anything outside the 5 foot bubble around themselves.[/quote']

Speak for yourself. There isn't anything outside my bubble :D

Cool link to the videos, thanks to the original poster (repp'd as well, or I would if I could, that is). A disaster like that really makes the ol' biblical ones look pretty tame.

Re: If Earth was hit by a Meteor

I've seen 1000-km asteroid impacts referred to as "ocean-boiling", i.e., enough energy is deposited to vaporize all the water on Earth's surface and, effectively, sterilize the surface of the planet. That wouldn't sterilize the whole planet, because it wouldn't kill the deep biosphere, but life would have to start all over from single-celled organisms reinvading the surface from ocean floor vents.

The comets we see are several-kilometer objects, though there is nothing preventing some really big ones (Pluto-class objects) from being on hairpin orbits such that they spend most of their time in the Oort Cloud.

If that happend I don't think nature would have enough time to re-evolve intellegence, some experts think the earth has already used 90% of it's habitiable life span. The unavoidable truth is that sooner or later we will die in a firey blaze, a meteor, a red giant sun eating us, or worse if we survive all that we can die as entorpy consumes the universe. Cheery thought.:drink: