Energiser Bunny Effect

Re: Energiser Bunny Effect

I have played a few characters like this and noticed that they all are built differently depending on what "special effect" they where based on. The character that worked the best in champions (4ed) was simply built with resistant damage reduction and damage resistant for 8 PD/ED. In all fights he came out on the other end with torn clothes, broken teeth/bones, and often covered in his own blood. Later on I converted him to 5er and added Aid Stun/END with Cumulative and Trigger "when at <1 Stun", and this made him even more tough!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Physical and Energy Damage Reduction 75%, STUN Only (-1/2), Not vs Con Stun (-1/4) and buy plenty of STUN. Your guy will keep getting knocked down, but be able to keep getting back up.

Only in HERO can you have a power that both works specifically only against stun and specifically not against stun. Also, 'stun' is kinda fun to say. Stun stun stun.

So is badger.

BadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadgerBadger...

Edit: BadgerBadgerBadger

But you are using it because it adds to whatever STUN you had beforehand. And a Charge' date=' once activated, doesn't "hang around" until you choose to activate the power. That's what the Advantage [i']Delayed Effect[/i] (or possibly Trigger) does.

Now, what I'd posibly do is make a Continuing Charge that lasts an Extra Phase (1 1/4) and apply that to +50 REC. Then I'd take a Recovery. :D

Well yes, but it would clearly be insane to apply an advantage to limit an ability. The REC idea is nicely innovative but taking recoveries is not always practical (and you are not necessarily clsoe enough to a PS 12 for it to count).

... inherently Persistent Powers, such as Life Support or Knockback Resistance, are an exception; for them, the value caps at -0

The question is then, "Is STUN an inherently Persistent Power?". According to the Characteristics Power (p139), it is (according to it, they all are). And after all, if you are Stunned your STUN doesn't shut off (drop to 0).

Or we could just build a Slow-Fade Aid STUN and use 1 Charge... ;)

The question is then, "Is STUN an inherently Persistent Power?". According to the Characteristics Power (p139), it is (according to it, they all are). And after all, if you are Stunned your STUN doesn't shut off (drop to 0).

Or we could just build a Slow-Fade Aid STUN and use 1 Charge... ;)

....again a very expensive way to do it: you'd probably be better off just buying more STUN, from a cost benefit POV. The point aboutt he 'charged STUN' is that it does not recover, except by the charge rules: it seems a nice way to simulate someone who can take a lot of punishment but is not indestructible and has their limits. Almost like an ablating defence.

I'm not sure Hero does this well.

I wonder...if you could buy STUN (or something very like it) for defences, that would open up some interesting possibilities.

For example, your Force Field could be bought for PD and ED, but also have a STUN and REC type charatceristic. So you could have a 5/5 force field with (say) 40 Stun and 10 REC: when the force field gets hit it stops 5 points of damage (the defence) and the rest is subtratced from the stun of the FF before being applied to the charatcer the FF is protecting. The Stun of the defence recovers over time.

I'm not sure we can do anything quite like that at present.

I wonder...if you could buy STUN (or something very like it) for defences, that would open up some interesting possibilities.

For example, your Force Field could be bought for PD and ED, but also have a STUN and REC type charatceristic. So you could have a 5/5 force field with (say) 40 Stun and 10 REC: when the force field gets hit it stops 5 points of damage (the defence) and the rest is subtratced from the stun of the FF before being applied to the charatcer the FF is protecting. The Stun of the defence recovers over time.

I'm not sure we can do anything quite like that at present.

This is an ablating defence isn't it? It's a much better system than we have at present....

Hmm. I like it - worth presenting to steve on the 6th edition forums.

Just now it is simply a matter of buying limited STUN (only when force field active, 1/4 at best I think) and limited REC (only for recovering FF STUN - I might give this 1/2 or 3/4).

A messy character sheet but possible.

I would have thought that recoveries would take place regardless of PC actions and so should be timed and take advantages or limitations for faster or slower recovery of STUN.

You might even have BODY for defences such that when the BODY is gone you have to wait for the forcefield to recover it before you can use the power again.

More book-keeping but possibly worth it for spaceship shields and weird and magical talents in Pulp or Fantasy games.

Doc

This is an ablating defence isn't it? It's a much better system than we have at present....

Hmm. I like it - worth presenting to steve on the 6th edition forums.

Just now it is simply a matter of buying limited STUN (only when force field active, 1/4 at best I think) and limited REC (only for recovering FF STUN - I might give this 1/2 or 3/4).

A messy character sheet but possible.

I would have thought that recoveries would take place regardless of PC actions and so should be timed and take advantages or limitations for faster or slower recovery of STUN.

You might even have BODY for defences such that when the BODY is gone you have to wait for the forcefield to recover it before you can use the power again.

More book-keeping but possibly worth it for spaceship shields and weird and magical talents in Pulp or Fantasy games.

Doc

The Body thing would work well with Force Walls too: penetration would not necessarily mean it comes down, but it would be weakened. The problem with FW at preent is that if your opponent can regularly damage the wall, the power is almost not worth it and if they can't, you are invulnerable. This approach would allow lower defences, but, with a Body component, a reasonably tough wall that is not actually invulnerable.

Pretty good for Halo Hero too :)

For a while now I've been thinking about linking a BODY purchase to Force Field (maybe Force Wall w/ Feedback?) and having Regeneration to restore the BODY for starship shields (especially Star Trek-like shields). I haven't settled on anything yet, however.

The Regeneration power would have a Limitation that gives it essentialy a Burnout Roll if the Body is reduced to Zero. That way a shield that has been knocked completely down might have burned out a component and need the crew to fix it before the shield can come back up.

For a while now I've been thinking about linking a BODY purchase to Force Field (maybe Force Wall w/ Feedback?) and having Regeneration to restore the BODY for starship shields (especially Star Trek-like shields). I haven't settled on anything yet, however.

The Regeneration power would have a Limitation that gives it essentialy a Burnout Roll if the Body is reduced to Zero. That way a shield that has been knocked completely down might have burned out a component and need the crew to fix it before the shield can come back up.

I think there is a definite need for something like this as a power or power option: far less messy than building it every time :thumbup: