Looking For "Bird Style" Martial Arts

clsage

Here is the question:

While I know that there is Crane style in martial arts, are there other "bird related styles" as well ?

I ask because I was inspired, strangely enough, by a slightly broken sign at

a local eatery which was meant to advertise "Chicken Sandwiches". But the

first word had mutated into two words: Chi Ken. Which struck me as a

possible name for a martial artist who specializes in bird style martial arts.

So yes, he could almost certainly just have crane style and be done with

it....But I would really like something a bit more unique. Right now I will

most likely be giving him the additional wuxai skill of "Leaping Flight". Which

is basically Gliding linked to/must follow Leaping and probably a sound based

attack to emulate a birds call.

Any pointers to martial styles ? Or other input ?

Thanks.

-Carl-

Re: Looking For "Bird Style" Martial Arts

I don't have my copy of UMA handy but I believe there's a style called Swooping Eagle or something like that.

I do have UMA handy ;) , and while a quick search didn't turn up "Swooping Eagle," among the substyles for Kung Fu is "Eagle Claw," which "makes extensive use of grabs, joint locks, and takedowns" (UMA p. 40). The section on other substyles briefly mentions Fong Ngan, or "Phoenix Eye," "which relies almost entirely on hand attacks, including a distinctive raised-middle-knuckle punch" (UMA p. 42). For a bit more tongue-in-cheek approach (like your proposed name for him doesn't invite that), he might practice the popular "Resplendent Springtime" style, or in Chinese, "Wing Chun." :snicker:

On the Powers front, Ninja HERO offers a few suggestions related to Limited forms of Flight, such as "Superior Balance," Only To Balance On Small Objects like fences and small posts; "Superior Leaping" for those incredibly long but controlled wuxia film leaps; and "Object Riding" where characters effectively fly by "riding upon objects such as spinning shields, giant shuriken, whirling umbrellas, and like objects" (NH p. 36).

Pak Mai (White Eyebrow) makes extensive use of the Phoenix Eye Fist. IMX, it's mainly used to hit pressure points and as an entry for chokes (though the later application was taught to me by a judoka and thus may not be used in CMA).

Dog Style Kung Fu has various maneuvers that are bat themed, but I don;t believe any of them were actually bird themed.

I'm sure you know what Chi refers to in Chinese, but I note that Ken means Fist in Japanese ;)

There are also various other martial arts styles that include some bird themes. Bando and Silat, for example.

I'm sure you know what Chi refers to in Chinese, but I note that Ken means Fist in Japanese ;)

I had suspected that it had a specific meaning, but could not recall what it

was...Thanks !:D

-Carl-

After looking over some old character sheets it seems Swooping Eagle Kung Fu is a home grown style. It uses most of the Eagle Claw moves and adds a bit of leaping and two different kicks.

It's not my design but from what I recall it's intended to take down an opponent quickly and take advantage of the enemy while he's down on the ground.

Roy Jones, Jr actually used a "taunt" in his fights that he learend from watching cockfights. Craning his neck out in a "try to hit me" pose and dodging/counterpunching his opponent.

Kojiro Sasaki was a samurai who (fictionally, at least) used a sword technique called the "Swallow Tail Cut".

I created two bird style martial arts years ago. Steel Crane uses paired short swords and various kicks. Silk Swallow was a mostly soft art with hand strikes and a number of throws, sweeps and take downs

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Herolover is still posting to the boards.

If so we could ask him to repost the characters in this old thread: Re: My Martial Arts characters

http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29624&highlight=animal+martial+arts

they were all animal based styles and there might be a crane style in there.

HM

• 2 weeks later...

Roy Jones' date=' Jr actually used a "taunt" in his fights that he learend from watching cockfights.[/quote']

Some silat practioners carry dried rooster claws, they can be used as knives in a pinch and are easy to hide. In some cockfights they tie a metal blade to the back of the rooster's foot, some arnis practioners use that blade as well.

Some silat practioners carry dried rooster claws' date=' they can be used as knives in a pinch and are easy to hide.[/quote']

You sure about this one? I heard karambits referred to as a "rooster claw"

But it's Silat, so who knows.

In some cockfights they tie a metal blade to the back of the rooster's foot, some arnis practioners use that blade as well.

Yeah, one of my FMA instructors gave me one. Looks kinda like this:

277288415.jpg

I've seen them referred to as "cock spurs" before, but as far as I know, those are actually more like spiked anklets. I've also seen the terms "fork knife" and "sabong knife" used.

Not really sure if we should talk about this sort of thing here though... it's kind of a touchy subject with some folks...

IIRC, "Chi" in Japanese means "Earth>" (As in, dirt, rocks, etc.)

So "Chi Ken" means "Earth Fist."

The Chinese MA Hsing-I/Xingyi has a "rooster" animal style as one of its substyles. This was also incorporated in Li Ho Ba Fa.

A "phoenix" style could also be developed. Take Crane/Eagle style and add in the internal elements of Shaolin Dragon style.