How would you use a true name as a vulnerability?

Doc

Hi guys, long time no see...

Here's a sticky question for my come back on the site:

How would you build a vulnerability (not necessarly in game terms) to someone knowing and using your true name?

I'm going to play a character coming from another world and I want him to have to keep is true name secret, but I don't know how to build this in game terms and what could be the negative effects?

Any idea? Thanks a lot!:)

Re: How would you use a true name as a vulnerability?

Vulnerability might just be the way to go. x1.5 (or x2) BODY, STUN, and Effect (or whichever of those you choose), and adjust the frequency depending on how easy it is to obtain the character's name. If it's plastered across his forehead, it's Very Common. If it needs to be read off his mind, Uncommon. If it's just his regular name (which people who know him might know, but not total strangers), Common. It's a little coarse grained, but might work.

As ever I have to ask what the problem of someone knowing your name actually is?

Can he force you to do his bidding? If so it sounds like an uncommon total physical limitation to me.

Does it render you powerless and unable to attack him?

A pysch lim as has been stated is not a bad idea.

Another idea is to make an anti-demon spell (I assume we are talking about demons here) with the limitation: "caster must know target's true name", -1.

Which is of course the problem: There are MANY different (often mutually exclusive) ways of dealing with what true names do. So without knowing the effect that the OP is looking for, it is somewhat difficult to model.

My initial reaction is to say it is a psychological limitation that is uncommon in occurance, but total in conviction. It depends, however, on why the individual must obey. If its constitutionally impossible for the target to disobey because that's its nature and not a psychological conviction, then it might actually be a physical limitation (read how they are both built). And, if the target is disobeying because it will have negative consequences from its fellows, then it might be a social limitation "Oh no! if I don't obey and the other Abyssians find out - and they always find out; they have their super-evil-demonic--crafty ways! - I will suffer the nefarious consequences!" Basically, you have to decide why they are obeying and from there your answer becomes clear.

Which is of course the problem: There are MANY different (often mutually exclusive) ways of dealing with what true names do. So without knowing the effect that the OP is looking for' date=' it is somewhat difficult to model.[/quote']

I think Doc was actually looking for ideas on possible ways of dealing with what true names do, rather than mechanics to describe an effect he'd decided on. More of a "I have this idea, help me flesh it out" than a "how do you build this?", I think.

I think Doc was actually looking for ideas on possible ways of dealing with what true names do' date=' rather than mechanics to describe an effect he'd decided on. More of a "I have this idea, help me flesh it out" than a "how do you build this?", I think.[/quote']

Ah, I hadn't gotten that.

Well, I've seen true names used to make the person whose true name you know unable to disobey. I've seen true names used to make someone more vulnerable to magic and/or psionics from the person who knows their true name, or sometimes uses it in the casting of the spell. I've seen true names used such that they force the entity whose true name you know to truthfully answer questions you put to them.

I'm probably forgetting some others...

I think Doc was actually looking for ideas on possible ways of dealing with what true names do' date=' rather than mechanics to describe an effect he'd decided on. More of a "I have this idea, help me flesh it out" than a "how do you build this?", I think.[/quote']

You're right, Tonio, but I also was looking for game mechanics too.

Thanks Archermoo for the new ideas. In fact, my character is a kind of angel who is sent to a mission on the campaign world. I wanted him to stay incognito and imagine that his true name could be a flaw to him, just like it is more classically to demons.

I'm open to any suggestion to flesh this out, maybe with some propositions on game mechanics.

Ah, I hadn't gotten that.

Well, I've seen true names used to make the person whose true name you know unable to disobey. I've seen true names used to make someone more vulnerable to magic and/or psionics from the person who knows their true name, or sometimes uses it in the casting of the spell. I've seen true names used such that they force the entity whose true name you know to truthfully answer questions you put to them.

I'm probably forgetting some others...

Thanks Archermoo for the new ideas. In fact, my character is a kind of angel who is sent to a mission on the campaign world. I wanted him to stay incognito and imagine that his true name could be a flaw to him, just like it is more classically to demons.

I'm open to any suggestion to flesh this out, maybe with some propositions on game mechanics.

Well, for most of them I woud just make them either Psych Lims or Phys Lims, depending on if he can will himself past it or not. For being more vulnerable, just take Vulnerability to whatever attacks are appropriate, only if the attacker knows your true name.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you want a True Names to be a campaign feature, or just something for this character. Generally true names allow you to compel obedience, that sort of thing. I might even make it a Physical Lim or two:

Phys Lim: cannot attack anyone who knows his true name (infrequent, fully) 15 points

Phys Lim: must obey anyone who knows his true name (infrequent, fully) 15 points

You could make it a vulnerability, but I doubt it would be worth the points, given that (presumably) opponents who know your true name are infrequently encountered.

Another approach is you can build it into powers for enemies:

Mind Control 12d6 (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Must know target's true name; -2) 20 real points

Finally you could just make it a campaign rule that any opponent whose true name you know takes double damage or effect from you.

I would go for vulnerability I think. PRE Attacks x2, or even stun.

By the way: I've got a character in my group who has vuln versus PRE Attacks, but since he is a Telepath, he also sports an insane EGO near 30. In Essence he's not vulnerable so much more than anyone else. How would you deal with it?

I would go for vulnerability I think. PRE Attacks x2, or even stun.

By the way: I've got a character in my group who has vuln versus PRE Attacks, but since he is a Telepath, he also sports an insane EGO near 30. In Essence he's not vulnerable so much more than anyone else. How would you deal with it?

Well, vulnerability doubles (or 1.5x, but then you get less points for it) the attack, so a 6d6 PRE attack (not that unusual) would normally do 21 points, or thereabouts. Many characters have a 15 EGO/PRE, at least, so EGO level effect. Against your chap, that's 42 points, which is EGO+10, and for higher level attacks it gets bad fast.

Vulnerability to PRE attacks is probably common, but it may be very common in your game, so a double hit is worth quite a few disad points, but bear in mind that even with a 30 EGO he'll be catatonic if he's hit with a 9d6 PRE attack - and an awful lot of villains can probably manage that.

Assume three Attacks: 4d6 (small), 6d6 (medium) and 8d6 (villain). Basic PRE/EGO is 15 for everyone else, 30 EGO (but lousy pre) for him.

Attacks are 14, 21 and 28, respectively 28, 42 and 56.

Against the others, that is: No Effect, EGO, EGO + 10.

Against him, that is: No Effect, EGO +10, EGO + 20/30.

Ok, assuming I use it a lot, it is a real disadvantage...

Hi guys, long time no see...

Here's a sticky question for my come back on the site:

How would you build a vulnerability (not necessarly in game terms) to someone knowing and using your true name?

I'm going to play a character coming from another world and I want him to have to keep is true name secret, but I don't know how to build this in game terms and what could be the negative effects?

Any idea? Thanks a lot!:)

A lot of possibilities, I think it would depend on the campaign:

1. True Name counts as a Susceptibility or Vulnerability.

2. True Name adds "x" dice or percent to any effect rolled.

3. True Name serves as a "free" modifier like Armor Piercing that ignores all rules such as END cost and power point limits.

4. True Name lets you bypass defenses entirely. But it only works once.

5. True Name gives you a huge aid to Mind Conttrol or any other type of domination.