What is your favourite Superhero adventure/storyline?

TheQuestionMan

Greetings HEROphiles, as the Thread Title says I wanted to know your favourite Superhero adventure/storyline? It could be from a Comic Book, a Cartoon/Anime/Film, or a Game Session.

My favourite Superhero adventures/storylines were?

1. Batman: No Man's Land

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man%27s_Land_%28comics%29

2. Annhiliation & Annhiliation: Conquest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_%28comics%29

3. Age of Apocalypse: X-Caliber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Apocalypse#X-Calibre

4. The Ultimates 1 & 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ultimates

5. Justice Society of America vol. 3 (2006 - current)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_Society_of_America#Justice_Society_of_America_vol._3_.282006_-_current.29

Cheers

QM

Re: What is your favourite Superhero adventure/storyline?

from tv spider man tas the six forgotten heroes

ff90's tas the inhumans saga,the mask of doom

street fighter american tas the cammy storyline[this was the graz animation series that was a spinoff from the jean-claude van damme street fighter movie]

teenage mutant ninja turtles 2003 tas the big brawl

Guest Goradin

Comics probably Dr. Strange vs. Dracula the Montessi Formula or maybe X-men Dark Phoenix Saga.

TV Justice League anything with Darkseid.

RPG wise, I 'd say Shades of Black. Its a very elegant adventure.

The Great Darkness Saga - Legion of Superheroes

The re-introduction of the Legion of Super-villains (the opening of the Baxter run) Which ends with KK getting killed - Legion of Superheroes.

White Martian Invasion - JLA

Tales of the Green Lantern Corps (with a rip in reality and Necron) - Green Lantern

Green Lantern / Sinestro Corps War - Green Lantern

Astro City. All of it. But if I have to limit it The Confessor Storyline - Astro City

JLA/Avengers

Tony beating Alcoholism - Iron Man.

Judas Contract - Teen Titans

I haven't really read comics for a long time, and most of mine have already been mentioned. Still:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga

Avengers: Masters of Evil take over Avengers Mansion, the Avengers take it back.

Watchmen

from tv spider man tas the six forgotten heroes

ff90's tas the inhumans saga,the mask of doom

street fighter american tas the cammy storyline[this was the graz animation series that was a spinoff from the jean-claude van damme street fighter movie]

teenage mutant ninja turtles 2003 tas the big brawl

i forgot some

space ghostvs the council of doom

justice league the savage time

But does the SPCA qualify as a silly storyline?

Hmm... I distinctly recall a Lois Lane adventure in which she was accidentally turned into an Atlantean, requiring exposure to water every hour or so.

Now, it just so happened that a mob hitman was on her tail, and knew this. So he decided to keep her away from water every hour on the hour as she went about her reporterly day. (At this point I'm supposed to add a snarky voiceover comment, but even at this point my imagination is failing me, and worse is to come.)

At one point, the moment comes as Lois is touring a thermometer factory. The who the what now? Anyway, since she just happens to have a violin by her side, when she realises that she can't get to water in time, she plays the violin, causing the glass on all the thermometers to crack, bathing her in liquid mercury.

Lois is saved!

And every day when I try to recall some lost bit of important information, I thank Mort Weisinger that I have brain cells tied down with that.

The Golden Age

Golden age Heroes vs Mcarthyism and Hitler's brain!

Mystery Men

Second-String (or perhaps third or fourth-String) supers take on the baddest of badguys when the Premier superhero of Champion city goes missing. Hilarity ensues.

Zoom

Poorly edited, included partly because the basic premise (retired super-speedster Zoom trains young replacement heroes) and partly because it has a scene we've always wanted to see: what happens when a super-speedster trips at high speed?.

The Fleischer Superman cartoons

A goldmine of Golden Age tropes and visuals. You can see Superman's powers evolve with each episode. And Lois was a knockout (I wonder if she was based on an actual person?)

The Marvel Superheroes cartoons

My first exposure to five of Marvel's heroes
:
Captain America
The Incredible Hulk,
Iron Man,
Thor
and
the Sub-Mariner

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is a classic.

The Killing Joke with Batman and the Joker.

Future Imperfect starring Hulk and the Maestro

Sin Eater story in Spectacular Spider-man (or was it still Peter Parker at the time?)

Korvac storyline that ended in Avengers #177

From DC

#1 The Suicide Squad- The Dirty Dozen with DC's supervillains

Checkmate- the current Greg Rucka run-Espionage in a super world

Teen Titans-The Judas Contract

(Justice League) The New Frontier

Independant

#1The Elementals-the initial arc vs Saker

Nexus

Marvel

#1 X-men the Dark Phoenix Saga

Thor The Sword of Doom/Surtur Story

Spiderman Kraven's Last Hunt

Spiderman- the first 8 or so Mike Stracyzinski issues where Pete becomes an inner city public school science teacher- my favorite non supervillain character story

Strikeforce Morituri "#1-Electric Undertow"- the powers with a price concept hooked me right away

Way of the Rat - the entire run - Crossgen

Camalot 3000 - DC

Kingdom Come - dark, but hopeful at the end.

JLA Foreign Bodies - a bodyswitch GN. Really fun, one of my favorite JLA stories during the Big Guns run the Morrison started.

Busiek/Perez Run on Avengers.

More a favorite moment than a story but:

An old Avengers issue with Henry Peter Gyrich having a hearing to disband the Avengers. A monster comes out of the bay - and Beast breaks a chair, and says "Maybe you are right. Maybe the Avengers are passe" hands him a chairleg "In that case you go deal with it". Gyrich taps the stick in his hand a couple of times like he is thinking about it, and then drops his head and says "Go".

On a personal note:

I look over my lists, and I find almost all of my favorites have been DC. I read marvel (And have for decades) the stuff that they put out is, in my tastes, good but not amazing. DC just fits my preferred style. The three best Marvel (by general consensus) I didn't read until years later, and by that point they had lost thier impact - I never read Dark Phoenix until after the X-Factor happened and Jean was back, and the Phoenix Force idea was implemented - so when I did read the original it just didn't have anywhere near the impact it had for those that read it when it came out (I started reading Xmen a year or two after that). Same with the Avengers Mansion assault - I only read the avengers sporadically, and only after that storyline. So it just doesn't resonate with me. Same with Days of Future Past.

Marvel: Most of the early Alpha Flight... I loved the fact that they were a team of individuals that needed each other, not a team of individuals that don't need each other...

Strikeforce Mortui (sp?)... The idea of "heroes for a year/save the Earth" just struck me as the ultimate form of heroism... People who, for whatever reason, decided to sign up for a terminal project that would help them save the rest of humanity.

DC: Identity Crisis... It was sad to have many DC heroes suddenly humanized, but the humanity (in the, HA HA no spoiler here!) of the characters actually made me enjoy it.

Watchmen: It's dark but it did present meta/super humanity in a realistic aspect in my opinion...

Independents: Rising Stars... Yet another example of "human" super humanity...

I like the idea of metahumans (what I call them in my games) being people first, heroes/villains second... In fact the players have met many a meta who does not put on tights and fight crimes... Most of my players also have in-depth histories (two who play husband and wife in game are also married in real life, and it's funny the "married banter" that goes on between them...) and I encourage role-playing over roll-playing...

(Sorry for the bit of a tanget...)

I like the idea of metahumans (what I call them in my games) being people first, heroes/villains second...

That is the reason I love Astro City. These are stories about people, who also happen to be supers. And because they are supers there are some different and interesting stories to be told, different from the norm, but still about the people rather than the powers or the action.

Marvel Secret Wars 1, Infinity Gauntlet, MCP Barry Windsor Smith Wolverine Origin (The only real origin), X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills and the Phoenix Saga, the Death of Captain Marvel, Daredevil Born Again ('86)

DC Crisis on Infinite Earths, Batman: The Killing Joke, Most of the Batman Elseworld stories, Doom Patrol Crawling From The Wreckage, Animal Man- Origin of the Species, Kid Eternity, The Trenchcoat Brigade, the original Books of Magic, Mister E, Justice League Giffen

Other Bratpack

There's a lot more, but I am sticking to mostly a superhero theme where I can remember story arcs and not just naming a whole series- which I could do for a lot more.

Wow, memories...

Uhm, let's see. Defenders: Six Fingered Hand made me start collecting comics. X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills made sure I wouldn't stop. Watchmen. Batman: Prodigal. Pretty much every issue of the Teen Titans with Wolfman/Perez. Pretty much every issue of Nightwing. Pretty much everything Devin Grayson or Ed Brubaker write.

VtR

1. Nightwing: Sidekick gets bad deal on his mentor and ovecomes it to be his own man and a hero in his own-right.
  2. Batman: The Killing Joke, Cataclysm & No Man's Land.
  3. Birds of Prey: The First Hundred Issues. After that, not so much.
  4. Incredible Hulk: Mr. Fixit storyline.
  5. Uncanny X-Men: Phoenix Saga, Dark Phoenix Saga; Most Stories Up to #210.
  6. X-Factor: Up until the Mutant Massacre Crossover w/ Uncanny X-Men (#210).
  7. Justice League: The Justice League International era of the late 80's.
  8. Daredevil: The Frank Miller Era (and a little afterward).
  9. Spider Man: Kraven's Last Hunt, The Night Gwen Stacy Died, and The Wedding.
  10. Superman-Batman Series.
  11. Daredevil/Black Widow: Abattoir
  12. Nick Fury/Black Widow: Death Duty