Guns in Fantasy

Evil Steve

Re: Guns in Fantasy

How did these Lorenzoni thingies work? It's a flintlock' date=' so despite there being a couple of cartridges in the picture with it, it can't use them...it has to have powder exposed to the sparking of the hammer as it falls. How was it set up to put powder and ball in place after firing a shot?[/quote']

RepeatingFlintlock.jpg

See that long crank handle? The butt contains reservoirs for both shot and powder. Turning the crank in the correct direction witrh the barrel pointing down rotates the breechblock and allows first powder, then a ball, to be gravity-fed into the chamber. When the crank is in the firing position, the chamber is once ahain lined up with the barrel. All that remains is to charge the flashpan, close the frizzen, cock and fire. And, of course, hope like hell that hot gases don't leak into the butt and cause the pistol to explode. shock.gif

I tried like heck to find an illustration of the mechanism but my google-fu seems weak today.

One thing that is usually not considered in Fantasy campaigns featuring black-powder weapons is the devating effect of fire-based spells on musketeers.

One little ball of fire and you can see the enemy's ranks go up in colourful explosions of their own!

Also works on pesky pc-shootists ...

One thing that is usually not considered in Fantasy campaigns featuring black-powder weapons is the devating effect of fire-based spells on musketeers.

One little ball of fire and you can see the enemy's ranks go up in colourful explosions of their own!

The wizard-musketeer in my last game had a number of spells that were used in creative ways. He had one that allowed him to "keep his powder dry", effectively allowing him to ignore penalties in light rain, and reduce them in a heavy downpour. He could also create a penetrating mist that increased misfire in the weapons carried by his opponents.

Additionally, barrels of gunpowder amongst the ranks of the bad guys were frequent targets of lightning or fire-based spells throughout the campaign. This was perhaps another reason that nobody played a musketeer until quite recently. I'm guessing that they did the calculations, and figured that at some time, they would be on the receiving end. (Though to be fair, the casks that the PCs were blowing up were substantially bigger, given that they were for the cannons).

JoeG

My game uses a variation of the magic system from L.E Modesitt Jr.'s Recluse series, so in general gunpowder weapons are VERY dangerous to the users if there is a mage about. In order to have something resembling peace of mind the weapons have to be infused with Order magic at creation (rendering them effectively "antimagic" and resistant to interference), in a location that is by it's very nature inherently damping on fire/chaos magic (such as over deep water), or being actively protected by another mage (which means you're banking on your mage being stronger than the opponents mage). This lets me have my shipboard cannons, but keeps land based warfare somewhat gunpowder light, because of the rarity and/or expence of protected weapons

Terry Pratchett's "Men At Arms" offers an interesting variation on "mediaeval" firearms. The "gonne" in question has a rifled barrel ("I had to make quite a complicated tool for that," said Leonard [da Quirm]) and operates on the flintlock principle although it fires self-contained metallic cartridges held in clips of six. The clip is fitted into the breach and moves sideways as the rounds are fired.

However, this IS the Discworld, and technology there is . . . idiosyncratic, to say the least. The "gonne" is a bodge of tech levels and was devised by the local equivalent of Leonardo da Vinci who is subject to "inspirations".

It is also sapient and has two distinctive character traits. It actively tries to prevent its own destruction and takes control of anyone who comes into contact with it. For Capt Vimes, for example, it tries to get him to shoot the Assassins, since Vimes despises Assassins and thinks the Disc would be a cleaner place without them.

I've seen pictures of examples of some of the other tricksty handguns, but they're hard to come by. My google-fu isn't quite up to par this AM, but here are a few over glitzy non firing reproductions I imagine most folk have stumbled across at novelty stores or Ren Faire vendors

A 3 barreled revolving flintlock, a double barreled model, and a pistol dagger

I can't do anything right now, because I fly back to the US tomorrow morning, but if you remind me of this thread in a couple of months. I'd be happy to go the national museum here in Copenhagen and take some photos in the "odd weapons" room. They have gun/bucklers, gun/swords, gun/spears, gun/daggers, gun/maces, gun/axes, multi-barreled flintlocks, wall guns, punt guns (like a wall gun, but boat mounted), etc.

Basically, any HTH weapon you can imagine had a gun built in at some point.

cheers, Mark

Terry Pratchett's "Men At Arms" offers an interesting variation on "mediaeval" firearms. The "gonne" in question has a rifled barrel ("I had to make quite a complicated tool for that' date='" said Leonard [da Quirm']) and operates on the flintlock principle although it fires self-contained metallic cartridges held in clips of six. The clip is fitted into the breach and moves sideways as the rounds are fired.

Truth is stranger than fiction. I hereby present the Harmonica Gun.

Illiterate peasants can be trained to load and shoot a firearm. There's an old saying about' date=' if you want to train a longbowman, you start by training his grandfather.[/quote']

Who is almost certainly an illiterate peasant. :) And quite likely a poacher if he wants to get really good with a bow. :eek:

Illiterate peasants can be trained to load and shoot a firearm. There's an old saying about' date=' if you want to train a longbowman, you start by training his grandfather.[/quote']

You are probably thinking of crossbows :D

Early guns were very expensive and initially the exclusive property of nobles. Later - as they came to dominate the battlefield - they were mostly used by professional mercenaries (who often cost more to hire per head than landless knights). The real advantage of early guns was not ease of use (matchlocks are far harder to use reliably than bows and to get a decent rate of fire required lots of training), and it certainly wasn't accuracy. It was firepower. Late medieval armies that faced a lot of bow-armed opponents had evolved to use cavalry more often dismounted and the increase in mass-production of plate armour meant that heavily-armoured foot was also more common. In that situation, the longbow became largely ineffective (it's why in England over the 15th century, the archers used were more and more often provincial levies: professional soldiers - even commoners - were abandoning the bow for plate armour and a heavy polearm).

The gun put an end to that. At medium range, guns could scythe through any sort of troops, regardless of how heavily armoured and at close range, they were devastating. Team them up with pikemen to prevent a rapid cavalry charge sweeping your gunners away whilst unprepared and you have a winning combination. Also - not coincidentally, you have the army form that ushered out the middle ages.

So, I don't use gunpowder weapons in my fantasy games, but if I did, they'd likely be AP, a DC up from the heaviest bows and -1 range mod.

cheers, Mark

If I can't find my Early Firearms for HERO notes I may just have to reconstruct them.

I agree with what MarcDoc said.

I'm a bit more than a bit of an ancient firearms geek.

I've shot basically everything from a match-fired handcannon up through percussion cap revolvers. I have a deep and abiding love affair with 16th & 17th century guns. I've built a variety of the buggers, matchlocks, flintlocks, cannon...

That said I'm also a pretty damn good archer, so I can do a decent comparison.

I think the rules I came up with pretty well showed why black powder would eventually change the face of war. The rate of fire is the biggest limitation.

In early tech levels/fantasy games I tend to give guns the "exhibiting a power" or "Violent actions" PRE attack bonus, while volley fire gets "Extremely violent action".

The first time I was downrange from a cannon battery trying to charge it, even KNOWING they were shooting blanks the urge was VERY strong to grab dirt. While the "hail of death" slithering of a volley of arrows speeding home can be very creepy, it doesn't hold a candle to the "holy FRACK" factor of being in the concussion zone of a 4 pound field piece.

Some other points I've pondered on this topic...

Smoke.

Probably best as a semi-useful side effects (like jet exhaust or blowback from a rocket launcher). Black powder makes a LOT of smoke. Some period tactics discussions factor this into play. It was a big deal with naval warfare because of how it interacted with wind. Volley fire effectively creates a smokescreen in front of your troops. Part of why Pike & Shot squares are so scary to attack.. all that smoke is full of pointy bits you can't see.

Sure, It messes with your ability to aim too... but you're busy reloading, right?

I'm also pretty inclined to give guns a +1 Stun Mod, especially if Slings get this too.

bullets are also more likly to cause infected wounds from carrying foreign matter into the wound site, but now we're getting out of the scope of what's usually covered in Hero...

"Shield with sword blade, gauntlet, sword catchers, and lantern"

Good thing they had the lantern in there, otherwise it'd have been too specialized.

It was used by the Renaissance Green Lantern.

"In brightest day, in blackest night, ..."