No scarring

Re: No scarring

There is no game mechanism for "scarring", so technically by the letter of the rules NO character scars up. If you choose to describe a character as scarred its either just fluff or if extreme a DF. The absence of either fluff or DF effectively means no scars.

If you are in a game with (odd) house rules on scarring and its an important enough part of the campaign that not scarring would be advantageous, then its at most a 1 point "quirk" unless something really outre is afoot.

When I recently asked about building a similar ability for my immortal martial artist Zl'f, who also has Regeneration, I was advised that with her 20 COM unless I bought down her COM it was reasonable to assume that she healed without scarring since a 20 COM would seem to preclude someone with scars. Seemed reasonable to me.

There is no game mechanism for "scarring"' date=' so technically by the letter of the rules NO character scars up. If you choose to describe a character as scarred its either just fluff or if extreme a DF. The absence of either fluff or DF effectively means no scars.[/quote']I've generally been of a mind that the COM loss in the Impairing/Disable rules works as scarring.

But, overwhelmingly, it does seem like a "handwave" effect.

I've generally been of a mind that the COM loss in the Impairing/Disable rules works as scarring.

Sure, if you are using the Disabling rules and you get a COM ding scarring and/or disfigurement is a reasonable assumption -- but the chart only takes COM on a head shot IIRC which is inconsistent w/ the fact that in reality a person can be scarred their body over. Impairing not so much -- its very nature is to be temporary and IIRC the write up doesnt give hit specific effects like Disabling does.

Here are the only systems for scars I was able to find in 5ER.

pg. 444

Damage from chemicals may result in scars

and disfi gurement (permanent reduction of COM).

Consider this a Transform whose results can only

be reversed via plastic surgery, some types of healing

magic, or similar methods.

pg. 445

Radiation burns can cause minor damage (perhaps ½d6

NND Killing Damage to several diff erent locations

on the body), but this damage takes

a very long time to heal (triple the normal

healing time, at best). It may also cause scars

(resulting in loss of COM).

Based on the likelihood that the only time you may risk getting a scar is from a Chemical or Radiation based villain or deathtrap built using a Transform, I would buy scar immunity as Power Defense, COM Transforms only (-2), only to prevent scars (-2).

Given that:

- the only references in the book are to environmental damage

- scarring could be caused by something other than an adjustment power (eg. a sword blow to the face with a disabling wound)

- the intent is to be immune to any but the most minor scarring

I suggest we make this a Life Support immunity. It's a minor effect, applies primarily to environmental damage and is an absolute immunity. With this in mind, Life Support seems the most appropriate mechanic.

Given that:

- the only references in the book are to environmental damage

- scarring could be caused by something other than an adjustment power (eg. a sword blow to the face with a disabling wound)

- the intent is to be immune to any but the most minor scarring

I suggest we make this a Life Support immunity. It's a minor effect, applies primarily to environmental damage and is an absolute immunity. With this in mind, Life Support seems the most appropriate mechanic.

This is extremely logical. Now it's just a matter of assigning a point value.

This is extremely logical. Now it's just a matter of assigning a point value.

I'd say 3 points at most. It's no more useful, in most games, than the ability to survive a high radiation or extreme temperature environment. I could be persuaded to go less, but now we're getting into "no real impact so just handwave it as SFX" territory.

Talent: Does Not Scar. 1 Point.

Built by stretching the rules slightly...

0d6 Healing, Regrowth, Self Only (-1/2), Only For Preventing Scarring (-2) Real Cost: 1 (1.43 actually which rounds down)

Regrow Limbs explicitly protects from impairing and disabling wounds.

Basically any body from an killing attack is going to scar. You can limit the scarring with medical attention.

I haven't played in a game where a character accrued scars unless he had a Distinctive Features or the player wanted to track them as 'trophy wounds'.

Handwavium or Distinctive Features for me.

I've generally been of a mind that the COM loss in the Impairing/Disable rules works as scarring.

IMHO a Disabling Head Wound (even one that only lowers COM) is a bit more severe then a scar. "Hey, anyone seen my nose?"

The only case I can think of is if an enemy (a sadistic enemy) had an "ugly them up" ability, probably bought as a transform. you could use a few levels of Power Defense, only vs scarring attacks (+2). But the other methods mentioned work too, especially the handwaving.