Tracer Bullet

Edsel

This is a bullet that can be fired at a, for instance, a car. The bullet contains a tracking bug. So the point is you shoot a fleeing car in the trunk and then you can track them due to the bug the bullet just planted. According to Dark Champions a tracking bug is normally built as Images to Radio Group with a single continuing charge to represent the battery life of the bug. The real question is how to build a gun and bullet delivery system that works with this?

Re: Tracer Bullet

That would give OTHER people the ability to see the Images Power.

Not sure if that is a problem myself, g-a.

Now, I don't recall the exact rules from DC - but if it just grants images to radio, wouldn't any one be able to pick it up anyways. Sure, they may need to find the correct frequency... but... well unless it was bought in such a way that only you could pick it up (no, I don't like that, either).

On the other hand, I'd probably go simpler.

Since Images is a ranged power, this should work fine.

Now, you'll probably have other issues... since there would likely be a noise when the bug hits the car, etc...

I allow AoE attacks to be targeted on objects or even characters so long as the roll to hit beats their DCV rather than a 3 DCV hex, but I'm not sure that is 'official'. Images (if that is how you want to buy this - there are other ways) is effectively AoE.

If it worries you, add the 'mobile' advantage for AoE on page 250 of 5ER.

This is one of those things that can be built a dozen ways - many of them expensive - but doesn't amount ot much more than a useful/midly-annoying special effect. All it tells you is: go that way. What about:

Bump of Direction, Requires Successful Attack Roll (-1/2), range limited to X (-1/2), signal can be interupted by sufficiently dense-thick intervening materials as with any radio signal (-1/2).

This is a bullet that can be fired at a' date=' for instance, a car. The bullet contains a tracking bug. So the point is you shoot a fleeing car in the trunk and then you can track them due to the bug the bullet just planted. According to Dark Champions a tracking bug is normally built as Images to Radio Group with a single continuing charge to represent the battery life of the bug. The real question is how to build a gun and bullet delivery system that works with this?[/quote']

The other way to think about this might be to not worry about the mechanical build of the bug itself. Instead, just build the tracking ability which is then limited by the use of 'bugs'.

11 Radio Locator: Detect A Single Thing (Tracking Bug) 16- (Radio Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Microscopic: x10, Targeting, Telescopic: +10, Tracking, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0) (36 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (must be able to see detector; -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) - END=[1 cc]

Where's that car? Summon 100-point creatures, Specific Being (+1) (40 Active Points); Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2)

40 Active 20 Real

This allows you to find a specific vehicle that is nearby. The 'arrives under own power' limtiation is reversed: you have to go to it.

I'm KIDDING.

This problem stems from a Cyber-Hero game that I am a part of. Specifically I am trying to build the gun in the attached picture. "The ID Sniper"

The skill Bugging and the actual build of the tracer itself are pretty simple. I am just having a hard time getting my head around how a character manages to plant a bug at extreme range. The rifle should be good to a range of about 1000 meters (500").

This problem stems from a Cyber-Hero game that I am a part of. Specifically I am trying to build the gun in the attached picture. "The ID Sniper"

The skill Bugging and the actual build of the tracer itself are pretty simple. I am just having a hard time getting my head around how a character manages to plant a bug at extreme range. The rifle should be good to a range of about 1000 meters (500").

So is the tracker intended to be used against anything?

(Vehicles as well as human targets)

If used against a human it seems reasonable that the human might notice something. This all depends on how realistic you want to stay with respect to current 'real world' technology. It's possible that the gun's designers thought of this and made the trackers tiny enough with expendable fin-stabilizers for flight that a target can't notice them any more than they would a mosquito.

The real question boils down to:

Do want the tracers to possibly be noticed by the targets?

I think Von D-Man essentially gave you the answer. If you want something to simulate the shooting then require a skill roll - in this case an attack roll - that ensures the delivery of the bug properly.

Doc

Yeah, Images is already a Ranged Power. You don't need to add anything to get Images to attach to something like a car.

The mere acting of "shooting it" is simply a Special Effect of the Ranged aspect.

No need to over-complicate this.

Your right, it doesn't need Ranged. Not sure what I was thinking there.

But I believe it would still need Usable as Attack to actually stick to the target. Otherwise the car pulls away and the Image stays in the hex it was fired into.

All the inherently AoE powers (Darness, CE, Images) work this way as I recall, but don't have a book handy to check that.

Er... not sure what you're doing for, but:

11 Tracking Device: Detect A Single Thing 14- (Unusual Group), Concealed (-4 with Detect PER Rolls), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Telescopic: +4, Tracking, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Day (Battery powered tracking device; +0) (25 Active Points); Requires Scanning Device to Perceive (-1/2), Requires A Bugging Roll (-1/2), IIF (Tracking Bug; -1/4)

Look at it this way:

when you build a gun - do you model the gun, or do you model the damage the bullet is doing to the target?

You model the end effect and the "gun object" itself it either completely SFX, or possibly a Focus.

So - if you're using the Tracking Device from Dark Champions you're essentially done. Remove the Range Based On Strength to increase the range of the device.

I think I will go with the Requires A Skill Roll method, in this case an attack roll. Originally I had thought about this just being a device used to tag vehicles and the like but since our game is set in 2068 I imagine that a version usable against humans probably realistic. If the target character is wearing body armor or heavy clothing they'd be unlikely to notice the bug.

Thanks all for the help.

Now I just have to figure out how to categorize this in our equipment book. It is a (1) Sensor/Scanner, (2) A Weapon, (3) Something else?