Middle-earth

Guest voodoo54

Guest voodoo54

Re: Middle-earth

Well, it didn't. It killed their horses, which were ordinary flesh and blood (if a bit psychotic) and shredded their clothes and gear. They all turn up again later, good as a box of fluffy kittens, and obviously spent their experience on mounts that wouldn't get washed away this time.

Basically I read it as being that they can't be physically killed - being animate plot devices - erm... partially not-of-this-world. But since normal horses wouldn't carry them and black robes and magic swords being hard to come by in the wilderness, they straggled back to Mordor to say "Sorry boss, we lost him at the last minute - he made it to Elrond's place."

That means - depending on how you see them - they're transdimensional or desolid (like ghosts) but can become physical, or just really, really, tough. Personally I'd build 'em as automatons, since nothing apart from the invisibility suggests they were desolid/intangible: just scary-dangerous.

cheers, Mark

Well I know they weren't really destroyed.:) My main question is how do you simulate the river flood attack, regardless of the target, or would that fall under a plot device by the author/GM.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know they weren't really destroyed.:) My main question is how do you simulate the river flood attack' date=' regardless of the target, or would that fall under a plot device by the author/GM.[/quote']

If you wanted to simulate it, I'd go with a very large AoE telekinesis, on a trigger: it carried them away, but by itself would do no damage. OTOH, all that beating against the rocks and banks would do damage. Sounds like TK to me.

cheers, Mark

Ring wraiths would be an interesting build - lots of powers.

Including a damage shield that destroys all weapons, and only particularly magical weapons being able to affect them at all - Meriadoc killed the Witch King of Angmar with his Barrow found blade, after all, while Eowyn distracted the Wraith.

Witch-King of Angmar - MERP.com

http://www.merp.com/search?SearchableText=Witch-King+of+Angmar

Witch-King of Angmar - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-king_of_Angmar

Witch-King of Angmar - The Thain's Book

http://www.tuckborough.net/witchking.html

Witch-King of Angmar - Tolkien Gate Way

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Witch-king_of_Angmar

Witch-King of Angmar - Youtube

LOL

QM

Nope - that was just flippant repartee. A play on the assumption that man means male in the english language.

There is no background to the wraith being invulnerable to males only.

. . . What, apart from the prophecy of Gildor Inglorion?

Edit: Scratch that -- the prophecy was made by Glorfindel . . .

Guest voodoo54

I'm doing a write up for the Nazgul's Fell Beasts and am having as one of it's powers the powerful scream as seen in the movies, can't remember if they did this in the book, but either way it seems like a pretty neat power for them to have. Any suggestions or improvements would be appreciated. So anyway here it is:

Terrible Scream: Entangle 5d6, Takes No Damage From Attacks(+1/2), AOE(Line, +1), Set Affect(Hands Only, -1)

I think this power is better simulated with Entangle than Flash based on the fact that the characters were more or less immobilized other than being able to run away.

Guest voodoo54

I'd just modify a pterodactyl from the bestiary.

You mean a Pteranodon on pg 155? Way to weak, I want the fell beasts to be powerful and resemble the movie depiction.

I'm doing a write up for the Nazgul's Fell Beasts and am having as one of it's powers the powerful scream as seen in the movies, can't remember if they did this in the book, but either way it seems like a pretty neat power for them to have. Any suggestions or improvements would be appreciated. So anyway here it is:

Terrible Scream: Entangle 5d6, Takes No Damage From Attacks(+1/2), AOE(Line, +1), Set Affect(Hands Only, -1)

I think this power is better simulated with Entangle than Flash based on the fact that the characters were more or less immobilized other than being able to run away.

I'd agree it's not a flash, but I'd model it using a PRE attack: victims who are overwhelmed cower or run away, which sounds about right, with possibly a small PRE drain with a delayed return, to explain the long term effect, whereby repeated cries ground down even the toughest. It'd also explain how the hobbits (who seem to have Power DEF; this explains their resistance to many things such as the corrosive effect of the ring, some poisons, the morgul blade, etc) were able to bear its effect.

As for a physical template, I'd start with a wyvern. :D

cheers, Mark

Guest voodoo54

I'd agree it's not a flash, but I'd model it using a PRE attack: victims who are overwhelmed cower or run away, which sounds about right, with possibly a small PRE drain with a delayed return, to explain the long term effect, whereby repeated cries ground down even the toughest. It'd also explain how the hobbits (who seem to have Power DEF; this explains their resistance to many things such as the corrosive effect of the ring, some poisons, the morgul blade, etc) were able to bear its effect.

As for a physical template, I'd start with a wyvern. :D

cheers, Mark

Interesting, I'll take it into consideration:sneaky:

Guest voodoo54

I wrote up the fell beast on my own and now that I'm looking at the wyvern they do look extremely similar and I probably could have saved some time.

I have another question for anybody out there in Herodom. How would you simulate the river flood destroying the Ring-wraiths in Fellowship of the Ring in Hero terms?

Hmnn, how about the Nazgul being denizens of another dimension (spirit world). Build morgul blades with whatever power you want, and include extra D effect (real world). Then make the blades breakable foci. Vulnerable to water damage would add flavor. I'm thinking of Gandalf's comment something to the effect of "unable to hide their nothingness" being the effect of the flood at the ford.

Also, though they were able to sense the Real World, it was dimly. Though one had a bonus to scent rolls. :hush:

2cents from the hoard of,

Midas