Weird Idea: Clairsentience as a Disad

JmOz

Re: Weird Idea: Clairsentience as a Disad

You might want to base Clairsentience as a Disad on the various RAW for Reputation. Reputation can be both a Perk (5ER page 83) and a Disadvantage (5ER page 337).

Accordingly, Clairsentience purchased as a Disadvantage may sometimes be useful, but usually it should cause problems for the character.

Keep in mind that you could purchase Clairsentience as both a Power and take it as a Disadvantage if that better fits your character conception.

And therein lies the point of contention: I don't necessarily believe that to be the case. See the story of Cassandra of Troy for an excellent example. .

But does the GM want to run a railroad? If the only purpose of the visions is to make the character miserable then I don't suppose it matters whether they are true or not. But a Cassandra should probably have a design representing exactly what she had. A power, and a curse that made the power functionally useless, a physical and social disadvantages that made her a totally helpless (and useless) social outcast.

But does the GM want to run a railroad? If the only purpose of the visions is to make the character miserable then I don't suppose it matters whether they are true or not. But a Cassandra should probably have a design representing exactly what she had. A power' date=' and a curse that made the power functionally useless, a physical and social disadvantages that made her a totally helpless (and useless) social outcast.[/quote']

...and in Hero, you are Cassandra because you've chosen to be her :)

...and in Hero' date=' you are Cassandra because you've [i']chosen[/i] to be her :)

You also have a Code vs Killing, Susceptibility to Salt, take 2x STUN and BOD from firearms and are Hunted by powerful people because you chose to be, so that doesn't seem to have any bearing on whether the disadvantage carries a point value.

You also have a Code vs Killing' date=' Susceptibility to Salt, take 2x STUN and BOD from firearms and are Hunted by powerful people because you chose to be, so that doesn't seem to have any bearing on whether the disadvantage carries a point value.[/quote']

I was responding to the question: 'does the GM want to run a railroad?' My point was that if it is a railroad, it is a journey the player wants to make, and of course poor old Cassie never had the option of taking other disadvantages instead * (and was she REALLY that vulnerable to firearms, do you think? :whistle: )

* Unless Hero more accurately reflects the underlying structure of reality than anyone suspects...

But does the GM want to run a railroad?

Basically, if that's what the player wanted, and if it will enhance or at least not hurt the enjoyment of other players and himself, yes. Otherwise, no.

I see no reason why a given character concept / special effect can't cost points AND be a Disad.

It can and generally should. The question here is, must it? I think there are times when the character's abilites are used exclusively for actuating the plot, in which case why must they cost points?

It can and generally should. The question here is, must it? I think there are times when the character's abilites are used exclusively for actuating the plot, in which case why must they cost points?

Clairsentience in this fashion can never be described by this phrase. The character will definitely receive visions which may or may not be true, and has the choice of how they wish to respond. It would be like arguing Indiana Jones has a Physical Disadvantage: Archaeologist, which causes him to know enough about artifacts to try to obtain or protect some of them.

Clairsentience in this fashion can never be described by this phrase. The character will definitely receive visions which may or may not be true' date=' and has the choice of how they wish to respond. It would be like arguing Indiana Jones has a Physical Disadvantage: Archaeologist, which causes him to know enough about artifacts to try to obtain or protect some of them.[/quote']

Not really, since he has the skills and abilities to actually know what to do with them, which gives him an advantage in doing so. He has both the Disadvantages that drive him to do so and the skills to be able to.

I can easily see a character, however, that gets visions that really only help the GM get the character involved, but not much else. In fact, I played one. He had the equivalent of Weirdness Magnet, which sometimes manifested in disturbing visions, but not enough concrete information to be able to act more than to get involved. It happens.

If JmOz wants more than that, and it wouldn't surprise me, I'm all for buying Powers or Skils for it, but I don't believe it is an absolute necessity.

Anyway, that's enough, I've presented the opinion in three different ways and I'm not really interested in convincing anyone, just in getting in my thoughts in case they might be useful. Bowing out of the thread now.

I've suggested it before, receiving the warm welcome of a Jehovah's Witness on your doorstep, but I've found that taking Susceptabilities to the use of your own powers works really well sometimes. STUN doesn't always have to represent pain; it can be confusion, weakness, distraction or a fugue state.

I can easily see a character, however, that gets visions that really only help the GM get the character involved, but not much else. In fact, I played one. He had the equivalent of Weirdness Magnet, which sometimes manifested in disturbing visions, but not enough concrete information to be able to act more than to get involved. It happens.

The idea of the character was that he is clairsentience, as for the visions it is viewed mainly as a "GM get me involved" ability, while I did plan on buying some other powers defined as clairsentience (Bonuses to deduction, danger sense, and some DCV, these I plan on paying for), the actual "Visions" were what I am dealing with here