Does anyone have any idea why this is legal?

CaptD

Big Teleport: (Total: 125 Active Cost, 83 Real Cost) Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 33) plus Clairsentience (Sight Group), Targeting, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only with Mega-Movement; -1/2) (Real Cost: 50)

This is in one slot in a 150 point multipower and Hero designer is accepting it. As far as I can tell it's 200pts worth of powers. Is it me or am I missing something. Also, does anyone else think this is a campaign killer power?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Does anyone have any idea why this is legal?

Big Teleport: (Total: 125 Active Cost' date=' 83 Real Cost) Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 33)[b'] plus[/b] Clairsentience (Sight Group), Targeting, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only with Mega-Movement; -1/2) (Real Cost: 50)

This is in one slot in a 150 point multipower and Hero designer is accepting it. As far as I can tell it's 200pts worth of powers. Is it me or am I missing something. Also, does anyone else think this is a campaign killer power?

Because the first set of Active and Real costs are for the two powers combined. The Teleport is only 50 Active points.

As to "campaign killer", some campaigns can handle galactic level movement, dimension travel and time travel; others can't work if one character has a 45 STR. Hero supports a wide range of power levels.

The GM always has the right and obligation to, when necessary, say "No".

This power gives the character and their team-mates, if they can figure out a location to teleport to, a 'mostly' safe teleport (invisible barriers, traps, illusions, dispel/suppress effects notwithstanding) build for getting places at the speed of plot.

It's END-intensive enough to discourage overuse, and as a slot in a multipower not so large a fraction of an overall character as to make them a one-trick pony.

Many GMs might want their teams to have such a power, at the very least for the ability to run world-spanning campaigns or spice up their storylines with interesting exotic locations.

Many GMs don't want their teams to have it, since it can be plot-busty, especially if defenses against teleportation and clairsentience aren't part of their campaign setting.

I don't see how it is worth 200 pts? Am I missing something?

Caris explained the point cost legality.

I'd need to know more about the campaign to know if this was a campaign killer.

I will say that this particular power would NOT allow the character to teleport behind every locked door I could put into the game. In fact, I don't know that I've ever seen a door, real or in a game, that was 1000 metres thick.

They could teleport themselves and three of there closest friends to anywhere on the planet EXCEPT for a circle, 2000 metres in diameter, centered on the teleporter.

I will say that this particular power would NOT allow the character to teleport behind every locked door I could put into the game. In fact, I don't know that I've ever seen a door, real or in a game, that was 1000 metres thick.

They could teleport themselves and three of there closest friends to anywhere on the planet EXCEPT for a circle, 2000 metres in diameter, centered on the teleporter.

Oh, I get that. I'm just generically anti-teleport. :D

It is 200 active points. T-Port + Clarsentience.

As Caris noted, it is 125 Active points. The Teleport portion is 50 Active (33 Real), and the Clairsentience is 75 Active (50 Real). The power as a whole is 125 Active (83 Real), as noted in your initial post.

Big Teleport: (Total: 125 Active Cost' date=' 83 Real Cost) Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) [b'](50 Active Points)[/b]; Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 33) plus Clairsentience (Sight Group), Targeting, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only with Mega-Movement; -1/2) (Real Cost: 50)

Check out the parts that I've emboldened.

Many GMs might want their teams to have such a power, at the very least for the ability to run world-spanning campaigns or spice up their storylines with interesting exotic locations.

In my "legacy" game, where the PCs started at 750, I had a character with similar abilities. She could teleport to the moon, and had a sense that covered the earth that detected teleports (and gave her save teleportation to just about anywhere). She also had a full LS costume.

Wasn't a game breaker, and led to some cool moments, like when she was first introduced and the PCs saw a stranger peeking in their windows on the Moonbase. :)

Caris explained the point cost legality.

I'd need to know more about the campaign to know if this was a campaign killer.

He has a normal 25" teleport as well.

Here's the barebones powers

Cost Power

22 Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group)

150 Space Bending: Multipower, 150-point reserve

5u 1) Force Field (20 PD/15 ED/5 Power Defense), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points)

9u 2) Force Wall (15 PD/10 ED; 4" long and 4" tall), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (93 Active Points)

5u 3) Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Smell/Taste, Touch and Radio Groups , No Fringe (50 Active Points)

10u 4) Teleportation 25", Position Shift, x4 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (97 Active Points)

8u 5) Big Teleport: (Total: 125 Active Cost, 83 Real Cost) Teleportation 5", x4 Increased Mass, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 33) plus Clairsentience (Sight Group), Targeting, MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only with Mega-Movement; -1/2) (Real Cost: 50)

10u 6) Away You Go: Teleportation 13", x4 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (99 Active Points)

10u 7) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Triggered by Ranged Attack (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) (100 Active Points)

10u 8) Stasis: Suppress Movement 4d6, all movement powers simultaneously (+2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (100 Active Points)

10u 9) Change Environment 8" radius, -5 DCV, -6 OCV, Long-Lasting 20 Minutes, Multiple Combat Effects, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (100 Active Points)

7u 10) Moebius Strip: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

7u 11) Dimensional Rip: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Invisible to Sight Group (+1/2) (90 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4)

6u 12) Dimensional Warp: Energy Blast 15d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (94 Active Points); OIF (Objects of Opportunity; -1/2)

10u 13) Dimensional Distortion: Energy Blast 10d6, No Normal Defense ([standard]; Telelport, Extra Dimensional Travel; +1) (100 Active Points)

the circumference of the earth is only like 25k (rounded).

"So you can teleport really far?"

"Oh yeah. Real far. Like, amazingly far."

"How far is far?"

"Dude, like, around the Earth."

"Really?"

"Oh yeah!"

"And what about just halfway around the Earth?"

"Um..."

"So you can teleport until you're standing next to yourself, but you've crossed the entirety of the planet to do it. Well. That's ... reasonable."

:Thia calmly takes a step to the left:

Look! I barely spent any END at all!

[This post intended in good humor and nothing else; taking it as something other than me being amusing is a breach of contract. You hereby indemnify Thia Halmades from any momentary pain, frustration you may feel before reading this disclaimer. Additionally, you indemnify me after it as well, and hold me harmless in the event you snort, milk comes out your nose, sprays your keyboard and you have to turn it upside down, clean up and then hope your keys aren't sticky.]

the circumference of the earth is only like 25k (rounded).

Very true. Geostationary orbit is around 36,000Km. There are at least potentially reasons to Teleport places that aren't on the planet. ;) If there aren't in your campaign, you might want to mention to the player that being able to teleport further away than they will ever have any reason to do so is somewhat pointless.

just x4

Ah, so a gap from 200 metres to 1,000 metres. Not too bad.