Red Ensign

L.Craig

I'm reading Champions of the North, and Iam reading about this character Red Ensign, has anyone else read the book, if so does it say what his powers are, ive tried to find it but I cant. There were 3 versions of the character im just trying to find out what his abilities are

Re: Red Ensign

I'm reading Champions of the North' date=' and Iam reading about this character Red Ensign, has anyone else read the book, if so does it say what his powers are, ive tried to find it but I cant. There were 3 versions of the character im just trying to find out what his abilities are[/quote']

Red Ensign was cut from the book because Steve was concerned with the number of NPC heroes. I'll submit him to Digital Hero after I get my author's copy of CotN and see what needs to be included.

In brief though, all incarnatioms of the Red Ensign (as well as the Black Banner) were well-trained martial artists who wielded the Canada Staff, which was created by the Golden Age hero Doctor Cerebro from the melted remains of King Vultok's crown, itself an alen artifact of unknown origin.

Red Ensign was cut from the book because Steve was concerned with the number of NPC heroes. I'll submit him to Digital Hero after I get my author's copy of CotN and see what needs to be included.

In brief though, all incarnatioms of the Red Ensign (as well as the Black Banner) were well-trained martial artists who wielded the Canada Staff, which was created by the Golden Age hero Doctor Cerebro from the melted remains of King Vultok's crown, itself an alen artifact of unknown origin.

thanks

Red Ensign' date=' Art by Storn [/b']

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=379312&highlight=Red+Ensign#post379312

Commissioned by bcholmes for his Northern Guard Campaign

This is one of the sad things about books like Champions of the North coming out: in my campaign world, the supers in Canada were already all fleshed out, and now my vision of the super world in Canada is out of synch with the official Champions Universe. Do I recton my campaign to be "in continuity" with the newer books, or do I keep on my merry way with telling stories on Earth-BCH instead of Earth-SB?

In my world, Red Ensign was one of the two WWII Canadian supers (the other being The Great Canadian Shield). He was a top soldier -- recruited because he was the best of the best, but had no powers.

In my world, Celestar was, essentially, Celine Dion: media darling, stylish, scarily skinny, and with a charming Quebecois accent. And commands cosmic powers.

In my world, COMET, StarForce and all versions of the Northern Guard have all played significant (although supporting) roles in stories.

All those years of reading comics have fueled, in me, a dislike for continuity problems. But now, there's a potential for a major continuity change, and I've got all these characters wandering around like the '60s version of Animal Man saying, "hey, what about me? What happens to me?"

Sad now. But I'll still get the book.

BC

This is one of the sad things about books like Champions of the North coming out: in my campaign world, the supers in Canada were already all fleshed out, and now my vision of the super world in Canada is out of synch with the official Champions Universe. Do I recton my campaign to be "in continuity" with the newer books, or do I keep on my merry way with telling stories on Earth-BCH instead of Earth-SB?

In my world, Red Ensign was one of the two WWII Canadian supers (the other being The Great Canadian Shield). He was a top soldier -- recruited because he was the best of the best, but had no powers.

In my world, Celestar was, essentially, Celine Dion: media darling, stylish, scarily skinny, and with a charming Quebecois accent. And commands cosmic powers.

In my world, COMET, StarForce and all versions of the Northern Guard have all played significant (although supporting) roles in stories.

All those years of reading comics have fueled, in me, a dislike for continuity problems. But now, there's a potential for a major continuity change, and I've got all these characters wandering around like the '60s version of Animal Man saying, "hey, what about me? What happens to me?"

Sad now. But I'll still get the book.

BC

My advice is: don't change a thing. If it's easier to accept, make the new CotN material an "Earth II" (Earth-SB, heh) and keep what you're doing the same. Do what you need to do to keep what's special about your campaign intact.

I don't blame you for being soured on continuity, especially after the literally eye-hemmoraging experience of Civil War.

My advice is: don't change a thing. If it's easier to accept, make the new CotN material an "Earth II" (Earth-SB, heh) and keep what you're doing the same. Do what you need to do to keep what's special about your campaign intact.

I don't blame you for being soured on continuity, especially after the literally eye-hemmoraging experience of Civil War.

you should sue Marvel for that, Scott.

• 1 month later...

So, basically he was a Canadian version of Star (from the Stars & STRIPE and JSA) comics? Sounds cool to me.

What are the prospects that we'll eventually get to see Red Ensign now that DH is on indefinite hiatus?

Don't have the book' date=' but the first thing that came to mind is the ability to teleport to a planet's surface with several people...and then get killed by a vicious alien. :)[/quote']

That's what I thought this thread was about after reading the title. "Summon Sacrifice - I mean Security - Guard" Summon 250 pt character, ranged, Trigger (first combat phase 12), Slavishly Loyal, Use once per encounter, Dies after 1 turn (or less). Sacrifice Guard has one power, an invisible AE Mind Control with single telepathic command, "Attack Me".

That'll be up to Darren. I never statted the Golden Age Red Ensign.

I also made an error in saying he had the Canada Staff. That staff was first given to Red Ensign II at the beginning of his career by Dr. Cerebro. However, it'd be perfectly appropriate for the original Ensign to use a non-powered staff, though I imagine fists (and guns) were his primary weapons.

That'll be up to Darren. I never statted the Golden Age Red Ensign.

I also made an error in saying he had the Canada Staff. That staff was first given to Red Ensign II at the beginning of his career by Dr. Cerebro. However, it'd be perfectly appropriate for the original Ensign to use a non-powered staff, though I imagine fists (and guns) were his primary weapons.

Okay, that avoids the question of whether or not the anti-supers field around Nazi territories had any effect on artifacts lilke the Canada Staff.