Lower stats: disadvantage?

Dr Divago

hi guys

first time i read Turakina Age sourcebook i skipped all the "maths and stats" parts focusing on setting.

Now, about to start a campaign, i'm reading also the "maths and stats"

and i see sometime (ie for Orcs and Half Orcs) package state under disadvantage a stats reduction. i mean:

-2 INT, -1 DEX, etc.

now, my question is: stats reduction is a disadvantage?

if i get 8 at INT is a 2 -point disadvantage (-2 INT) or just i lower char point cost by 2?

(ok ok bad grammar... try to explain better)

if my stats are

12 STR

10 DEX

10 CON

10 BOD

8 INT

10 EGO

10 PRE

16 COM

3 PD

2 ED

2 SPD

4 REC

24 END

26 STUN

char cost is 8 or 10 + a 2 point disadvantage?

ty for answer

Re: Lower stats: disadvantage?

If I understand the question, no selling back a characteristic is not a (game mechanic named) disadvantage, it is a reduction on the characteristics total. There is some weird stuff that happens when you reduce COM below 0, but as a general rule you just get the points and can still take full disads.

Yeah, the book's a bit ambiguous about this, since negative stats are listed under Package Disadvantages, and it says that Package Disadvantages count against your character's Disadvantage total. Taking that literally, it'd mean you're not getting any points back for your lowered INT, but you get a 2 point Disadvantage. On the other hand, everything I've ever seen regarding Package Deals has negative stats working the same way they do when you buy 'em normally (i.e. as negative character points, not Disadvantage points).

As an aside... anybody remember when Package Deals had a bonus? Why was that removed? :(

Yeah, the book's a bit ambiguous about this, since negative stats are listed under Package Disadvantages, and it says that Package Disadvantages count against your character's Disadvantage total. Taking that literally, it'd mean you're not getting any points back for your lowered INT, but you get a 2 point Disadvantage. On the other hand, everything I've ever seen regarding Package Deals has negative stats working the same way they do when you buy 'em normally (i.e. as negative character points, not Disadvantage points).

As an aside... anybody remember when Package Deals had a bonus? Why was that removed? :(

4th edition, and I am not sure why the package bonus was removed, but it did only IIRC save you like 3 points so no big deal one way or another to me

4th edition' date=' and I am not sure why the package bonus was removed, but it did only IIRC save you like 3 points so no big deal one way or another to me[/quote']

I dunno, I liked the incentive to pick Package Deals. I think it's a Good Thing; it encouraged people to pick skills for flavor which they normally wouldn't, especially if they were trying to min/max. I'm all for reducing GM-imposed mechanics; I'd rather allow them to flesh out their characters without worrying overmuch about "wasting points".

We went rounds about this in my group, since I started with 5ER, and my players remembered package deals having point reductions. That got out of hand early on. :ugly: Got it fixed, finally, but it was a painful growing process. In answer to the first question:

Yes, in a package deal you get the points "back" for having your stats reduced, but they aren't "disadvantages" in the technical sense of the word; if you buy down your stats in a 75+75 campaign, you don't lose from the 75 disads you'd normally get.