Martial Art: Tricking

fredrik_nilsson

Re: Martial Art: Tricking

Since it's a Champs character, how about modeling the Tricks as a special effect of a Power? If it's designed to throw the other guy off, make it a no range drain on DEX, or even a Suppress on DEX. I've been noodling with modeling a super-feint that way. It drops the oppo down a CV or two, which is sort of the point, I think.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the hostility toward toward Tricking comes from people who've believe the title of Martial Art is being gifted to gymnast tricks that haven't put in the time at the dojo. Check back in a few hundred years, you whippersnapper! I know more than a few people who don't believe any MA created in the twentieth century is 'real.'

But in HERO the title Martial Art gets bestowed on many a varied thing; I don't see any barrier to Tricking becoming a HERO Martial Art. I would make it with Martial Dodge, Sacrifice Throw, Defensive Strike, maybe some Full Move manuevers because it looks like practioners can cover some ground, Breakfall, Acrobatics, smidge of Leaping.

Let's not forget how successful a blind acrobatic boxer has been when ruling out what is or is not a martial art.

Here's a maneuver that would fit under the title "tricking":

Martial Cringe

UMA states that you may only abort into Blocks, Dodges and Escapes.

Since a standard Martial Escape already boosts STR why not make Martial Cringe a variation of that manuever?

Martial Escape +15 STR vs. Grabs

cost= 4 points

Martial Cringe -2 DCV +20 PRE vs. being attacked, Abort, DCV penalties last +1 phase

You make a 'suprise' surrender which startles your attacker. :eek:

+10 or +20 effect above target's EGO/PRE would be needed to cause the attacker to hesitate (either a half or full phase respectively).

cost= 4 points

:sneaky: Note, this manuever's success requires that the attacker has sufficient conscience to 'accept' a surrender and will probably only work once vs. any one opponent.

I expect Oddhat to post a character who's Martial Art maneuvers and powers are purchased with OAF: Bulky any time now.

Unless I beat him to it ;)

What? An old man with a wheelbarrow full of gym equipment? "Strength means Nothing! Agile movement is what counts!"

What I saw was a lot of Capoiera esque manuevers' date=' requiring similar speed and agility, including Break Fall, Acrobatics and so on. I'd just mod Capoiera and call it good.[/quote']

Yup... I was gonna say take a look at the Ultimate Martial Artist for Capoiera and modify it a bit to taste.