Energy Staff, Martial Arts

Tonio

I'm building a Superheroic character who has a "weapon" that's basically a staff (HA) that can shoot energy (EB) and use said energy to move stuff around (TK).

First off, would a MP be appropriate? (First reaction would be "yes", but mebbe not, since they're to be used with martial arts?)

Second, I want martial arts for use with this staff... would a style mixing HtH and Ranged maneuvers be appropriate, valid, legal, non-abusive/munchkiny? (I'm thinking "yes".) And would I need to buy two weapon elements for it (it's only one weapon, but it can be used two ways)? (I'm thinking "no", one WE works.)

Third, can I use the MA maneuvers with the TK from the staff? (I'm thinking "no way in hell".)

Please bear in mind I'm not trying to abuse the system or be a munchkin... I'd be more than willing to buy this as separate powers (no MP), no MAs (just CSLs or whatever), MAs with two weapon elements, only HtH martial arts, whatever... I just want to capture the "feel" of the character.

I realize the GM is free to allow any normally disallowed constructs, and disallow any normally allowed ones, but I'm asking from a "RAW, general opinion" point of view.

Re: Energy Staff, Martial Arts

Nice question Tonio.

1) Yes, an MP is the way to go. Stick an OAF limitation on it if you can only use it through the staff.

e.g. (off the top of my head, check book for details)

30 pt MP OAF (-1) Staff 15 points

u1 4d6 Strength, HTH lim (-0.5) OAF (-1) Staff

u3 6d6 Chi Energy Blast, OAF (-1) Staff

u3 15 str TK, fine manipulation, OAF (-1) Staff

2) No you cannot mix ranged and HTH maneuvers in a martial art.

3) There is nothing wrong with buying two Martial Arts, one HTH and one ranged. Well, nothing wrong apart from the cost. You could even buy a MA exclusively for your TK. YOU WOULD NEED TO BUT DAMAGE CLASSES SEPARATELY IF YOU BUY 2 MArts.

4) Buying your TK in either, or both HTH and ranged Martial Arts would be perfectly legal, and sensible, IMHO. All you need to buy is a TK element in your MArts. And, I would require you had the fine manipulation adder for your TK.

5) You could buy 6 point skill levels for HTH and ranged combat, but not Ego Combat.

Thanks!

Fiddling around with the character, I ended up using only a HtH MA, since I felt the Ranged MA Maneuvers were innappropriate, except for maybe one or two, and I didn't want to cherry pick maneuvers in a MA.

It still feels somehow wrong to use MA with TK; feels like I should be using Stretching instead, especially with the "doesn't cross intervening space" advantage. In any case, I think I'll just opt for HtH MA only. If mixing Ranged and HtH in a single MA were allowed, I'd add a couple of Ranged Maneuvers; I especially like the Ranged Disarms... is there a "free" ranged disarm, or can Disarm be used with Ranged attacks? From what I gather from UMA and 5ER, no... but mebbe I'm missing something?

I have a character like this, and this is how I built the staff and MA's. Hope this helps.

25 11) Battlesuit & Staff batteries: END Reserve (115 END, 20 REC) (31 Active Points)

27 BattleStaff (DEF 12): MP, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OAF Unbreakable (Staff; -1), OIHID (-1/4)

3u 1) Powerblast: EB 12d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6

2u 2) Cutting beam: RKA 4d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); Beam (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 6

3u 3) Electromagnetic Pulse: Dispel Electronic devices & equipment 10d6, Hole In The Middle (+1/4), AoE (2" radius; +3/4) (60 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 6

2u 4) Tractor/Repulsor beam: TK (30 STR) (45 Active Points); Affects Whole Object (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 4

1u 5) Levitation beam: Flight 15" (30 Active Points); Levitation (-1/2), No NC Movement (-1/4) (uses END Reserve) 3

2u 6) Staff Block: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), w/ Reflection, Adj Hex (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Not Against Hvy Missiles (-1/4)

1u 7) Staff Damage: +20 STR, (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only to do damage (-1/4)

Martial Arts: Staff fighting

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Poke (DS) +1 +3 2 1/2d6 / 4d6 Strike

5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 6 1/2d6 / 8d6 Strike

3 Legsweep +2 -1 3 1/2d6 / 5d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 Martial Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Martial Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 23 STR / 30 STR to Disarm roll

4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

1 Weapon Element: Staffs

That helps, somewhat. My main concern was the Martial Arts, specifically mixing Ranged and HtH, though. You seem to be paying 1pt for the WE: Staffs... is that standard? From what I understand, that means you can use those maneuvers either barehanded or with staffs. If it were only with staffs, wouldn't it be the default WE, and therefore free?

Hm... I notice that in Ranged Disarms, you use the DC's of the attack power as STR. Does the same apply to normal Disarms? Say I have 15 STR and am using a +3d6 HA, OAF (Staff) and I execute a disarm using that staff. Is my STR for the purposes of disarm 15, or 30 (plus whatever the maneuver gives me, if anything)?

Even though the MA is named "Staff Fighting" it's not really "with staff only". All of the maneuvers were originally learned bare-handed; before he got the staff and armor, when he was an agent. He then learned how to augment the maneuvers with the staff, hence the WF. I believe that MA maneuvers are defined as "bare-handed" or "with weapon", but not both unless you buy a WF. This is just how I did it.

As far as the ranged MA, I had never really thought about it. Maybe that's something to look into after I pay for the 45+ Xp's worth of upgrades to the equipment. :D

Hm... I notice that in Ranged Disarms' date=' you use the DC's of the attack power as STR. Does the same apply to normal Disarms? Say I have 15 STR and am using a +3d6 HA, OAF (Staff) and I execute a disarm using that staff. Is my STR for the purposes of disarm 15, or 30 (plus whatever the maneuver gives me, if anything)?[/quote']

If this is a martial disarm, and you have the staff element, then you roll 6d6 plus whatever you get from the maneuver.

Thanks!
You're welcome.

Fiddling around with the character' date=' [/quote'] Kinky.

I ended up using only a HtH MA' date=' since I felt the Ranged MA Maneuvers were innappropriate, except for maybe one or two, and I didn't want to cherry pick maneuvers in a MA.[/quote']

It is indeed wrong. On many levels.

It still feels somehow wrong to use MA with TK; feels like I should be using Stretching instead' date=' especially with the "doesn't cross intervening space" advantage. [/quote']

Not to me, it feels right!

is there a "free" ranged disarm, or can Disarm be used with Ranged attacks? From what I gather from UMA and 5ER, no... but mebbe I'm missing something?

You can indeed disarm someone with a ranged attack. Shooting the gun out of someone's hand is a staple of fiction and Hero, both.

I'm building a Superheroic character who has a "weapon" that's basically a staff (HA) that can shoot energy (EB) and use said energy to move stuff around (TK).

First off, would a MP be appropriate? (First reaction would be "yes", but mebbe not, since they're to be used with martial arts?)

Second, I want martial arts for use with this staff... would a style mixing HtH and Ranged maneuvers be appropriate, valid, legal, non-abusive/munchkiny? (I'm thinking "yes".) And would I need to buy two weapon elements for it (it's only one weapon, but it can be used two ways)? (I'm thinking "no", one WE works.)

Third, can I use the MA maneuvers with the TK from the staff? (I'm thinking "no way in hell".)

Please bear in mind I'm not trying to abuse the system or be a munchkin... I'd be more than willing to buy this as separate powers (no MP), no MAs (just CSLs or whatever), MAs with two weapon elements, only HtH martial arts, whatever... I just want to capture the "feel" of the character.

I realize the GM is free to allow any normally disallowed constructs, and disallow any normally allowed ones, but I'm asking from a "RAW, general opinion" point of view.

1) It is how I would build it

2) It is fine to mix the two, however if you do you need to use 5 point skill levels with your martial arts, instead of the 3 pointers (3 pointers can be used for only either the HtH or Range elements).

2b) No you don't need two elements to represent the staff (You are in some ways building two martial arts in truth, a range and a melee, so to use it with your normal hands you need a element, if you wanted to also use it with guns you need one, etc...)

3)This is a common grey zone, but a common answer is to require a 1 point element with TK

Well, I ended up deciding to use Ranged MAs after all. In case anybody's curious, here's the end result:

http://www.mythosys.com/hero/gax.html

(Yah, his HtH damage is kinda, um, high... but the GM fully endorses using HA like this, not to mention that in a 600pt campaign having defenses against a 19d6 HtH strike is nowhere near inconceivable!)

I'd appreciate any and all comments regarding this character, especially regarding his MAs.

Thanks to all of you for your help! =D