FRPG Ideas from Hero that ain't necessarily so

Curufea

Re: FRPG Ideas from Hero that ain't necessarily so

It is easier (fewer points) to be immortal than rich.

It costs fewer points, but that doesn't make it easier. ^_-

As regards the king perk: it's cheap to be the king. To be an effective king costs more than 150 points worth of contacts, allies, retainers, wealth, bases, etc. A 10-point 'king' merit is almost more a Disad than a Perk... or at the very least, it'll come with a whole scad of 'Hunted: More powerful, NCI, 14-, intends to dethrone and imprison/kill'.

Some perks ain't quite so cheap as they seem to be. :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It costs fewer points, but that doesn't make it easier. ^_-

As regards the king perk: it's cheap to be the king. To be an effective king costs more than 150 points worth of contacts, allies, retainers, wealth, bases, etc. A 10-point 'king' merit is almost more a Disad than a Perk... or at the very least, it'll come with a whole scad of 'Hunted: More powerful, NCI, 14-, intends to dethrone and imprison/kill'.

Some perks ain't quite so cheap as they seem to be. :D

This is why I don't use any Perks except Follower and Vehicle. All the others come with drawbacks and disadvantages that pretty much make them a wash.

How bout this one: if your duplicate dies you lose character points permanently.

That seems to be true of real life.

Well, inasmuch as when we lose something, we don't get something else in return. ^_-

I don't think many people other than Steve have duplicates.

I don't deny its logic, I deny its general entertainment value for me. I know lots and lots of people who love it, so I can't really argue with it. =) The magic replacing science idea is an interesting way to see it, though, and is certainly worth some thinking about in general... but in following that line, when magic replaces science and is predictable and no longer mysterious... isn't it just science? Isn't part of the definition of magic its mystery and improbability? It kind of loses its luster to me that way...

I like the idea of magic as a mystery and as awe-inspiring... scaring the yokels, terrifying those in the know, and always impressive. The rarity makes it more fantastic to me, whereas being festooned with it... well, its the whole "too much of a good thing" type of feeling I suppose.

Again, this is preference on my part, and certainly not fact for everyone... heck, I'm probably in the minority.

Hm, so does this mean that in science fiction, stardrives and blasters and light sabers aren't awesome or impressive because they can be reproduced by those who understand their principles and have the right tools?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that when Lucius ran a game once that was very light on magic items, a funny thing happened - a character went on a cross-continental quest to recover the equivalent of a +1 sword when it was stolen.

Hm, so does this mean that in science fiction, stardrives and blasters and light sabers aren't awesome or impressive because they can be reproduced by those who understand their principles and have the right tools?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that when Lucius ran a game once that was very light on magic items, a funny thing happened - a character went on a cross-continental quest to recover the equivalent of a +1 sword when it was stolen.

I think in science fiction its a bit different... perhaps its the genre conventions? Honestly, I can't say I have a big analytical reason so much as just a preference. =)

In campaigns with low magic, I must say that I usually prefer the item actually be pretty neat. I'm not much for "+x swords" in and of themselves... but magical swords on fire, or items like "sting" that have a certain "feel" to them are neat in my eyes. And if you're going to make magic items rare, you really should put some effort into making the few that players get be really neat. :D

And now that I think about it... blasters aren't special, they're the main tool of the trade in science fiction. Lightsabers are, because they can only be wielded properly by Jedi. But again, its just a "gut" thing and not a "I'm smart and know why I like it that way" thing :o

Please don't take my comments as argument so much as stating a preference. I'm not trying to down anyone else's opinions on the matter or anything like that. :hush:

*joins the others to form a trio...or maybe Voltron*

maybe we should just take a whole bunch of followers with the +5 doubling rules and then conquer the world and make everyone play fantasy games the way WE DESIRE!!

and maybe forge a cool ring (maybe we could alternate using it) or maybe we each have a single really powerful artifact that we rule the world with... or maybe we can invent some sort of psi-crown thing to control peoples minds.... or or or

*joins the others to form a trio...or maybe Voltron*

maybe we should just take a whole bunch of followers with the +5 doubling rules and then conquer the world and make everyone play fantasy games the way WE DESIRE!!

and maybe forge a cool ring (maybe we could alternate using it) or maybe we each have a single really powerful artifact that we rule the world with... or maybe we can invent some sort of psi-crown thing to control peoples minds.... or or or

Well, we have a triumvirate, right? We should invent some kind of 3 piece artifact, each wielding one appropriate to our particular strengths, that combine into one world dominating power only to be used in emergencies most dire... each item should be cool in its own right, though not excessively powerful, and combine to give us some mystical yet benign power only usable by us three together. See, that'd be more in the style, bro.. like.. uh... well, heck, perhaps it just brings to light the faith in men's hearts that we might unite many people. Like one of those deals where it doesn't change anyone's thoughts, but it allows the bravery and sense of right they have to come to the front instead... y'know, etc. etc. Not like I'm bringing an original thought out here... :o

Anyway...

- A normal can quadruple his strength, becoming a Schwarzeneggerian freak of nature, after a few months of adventuring.

- A slight speed advantage translates into a huge advantage in combat.

- Higher agility generally means you can run faster.

- You are most likely to hit your opponent in the chest, even in melee, regardless of what weapon you're using.

- Shields are totally awesome. Wait, that is so. Never mind.

- Hammers and axes suck when compared to spears (in 5th) or swords (in 4th).

I think in science fiction its a bit different... perhaps its the genre conventions? Honestly, I can't say I have a big analytical reason so much as just a preference. =)

In campaigns with low magic, I must say that I usually prefer the item actually be pretty neat. I'm not much for "+x swords" in and of themselves... but magical swords on fire, or items like "sting" that have a certain "feel" to them are neat in my eyes. And if you're going to make magic items rare, you really should put some effort into making the few that players get be really neat. :D

And now that I think about it... blasters aren't special, they're the main tool of the trade in science fiction. Lightsabers are, because they can only be wielded properly by Jedi. But again, its just a "gut" thing and not a "I'm smart and know why I like it that way" thing :o

Please don't take my comments as argument so much as stating a preference. I'm not trying to down anyone else's opinions on the matter or anything like that. :hush:

I appreciate your ideas; and I'm not trying to be critical of anyone's preferences either. I think it's wonderful that Hero can accomodate all KINDS of styles.

And remeber, "Sting" probably WAS a "+1 sword" in D&D terms! BUT it was a sword with a NAME, and with an atmosphere.

Old Man:

Thanks a lot for getting us back on topic!

Lucius Alexander

The Palindromedary reminds Me that we need to visit the Pob Ox.

I appreciate your ideas; and I'm not trying to be critical of anyone's preferences either. I think it's wonderful that Hero can accomodate all KINDS of styles.

And remeber, "Sting" probably WAS a "+1 sword" in D&D terms! BUT it was a sword with a NAME, and with an atmosphere.

Old Man:

Thanks a lot for getting us back on topic!

Lucius Alexander

The Palindromedary reminds Me that we need to visit the Pob Ox.

Don't forget that it warned you if orcs were coming.:thumbup:

I appreciate your ideas; and I'm not trying to be critical of anyone's preferences either. I think it's wonderful that Hero can accommodate all KINDS of styles.

And remember, "Sting" probably WAS a "+1 sword" in D&D terms! BUT it was a sword with a NAME, and with an atmosphere. (snip)

In many cases, I think atmosphere is a lot to it. I appreciate a great visual and a story more than the power of an item. Cool powers is also neat, though, of course. :D And as later mentioned, Sting did have that "orc detection" ability, and I believe it actually worked a bit more effectively in the books or at least the characters reacted better than having a 30 second pow-wow when it glowed. :P

And the whole reason I love Hero is because it accommodates the various play styles and allows for everyone to do what they want rather than force you into a style and type of play.

Don't forget that it warned you if orcs were coming.:thumbup:

And everyone seems to forget that it ignored defences of Morgoth's creatures. It was one of the few weapons in the world capable of wounding Shelob. It was even extra-effective against orcs.

The movie didn't handle the orc detection well, it always detected them when any idiot already knew there were orcs around. Sort of a Betazoid empath of orc detection. I sense hostility, captain. No kidding?

And yeah, Sting was a very powerful weapon (as powerful as Gandalf's sword and the king's weapons the other hobbits got from the Barrow Downs).

- The difficulty of a spell has only to do with its overall power, not its intricacy.

- The requirements for casting a given spell are set--you can't take extra time or use additional materials to make it any easier, for example.

- Fire hurts exactly the same as cold.

- Flight is the easiest spell to learn.

- The difficulty of a spell has only to do with its overall power, not its intricacy.

- The requirements for casting a given spell are set--you can't take extra time or use additional materials to make it any easier, for example.

- Fire hurts exactly the same as cold.

- Flight is the easiest spell to learn.

An immortality spell is an apprentice-level cantrip. =D

You can't Haymaker a door to blast it down! (unless it is somehow threatening you or you are at a disadvantage for using Haymaker)

You can't Push to blast said door down. (Unless the world will be destroyed if that door does NOT come down!)

I understand why these rules exist... but sometimes it seems kind of trite.