Lets talk about: Martial Arts

JmOz

Re: Lets talk about: Martial Arts

So why not get a Martial Strike and a Martial Throw, then MPA with them? +2d6, Target Falls, + v/5. Add in a Martial Block and hold your action, and you can do the classic Block+Strike+Throw.

Personally, I love Passing Strike and Flying Dodge. Full move maneuvers can be very effective in an open area.

Interesting points

I agree with a love of FMove

while not the same as FMove the character will be selling back all of there movement then buying it back at double the value I wanted them to have with No Non combat movement (So 12" of running, but no non combat) in practice this will be a close similarity to FMove, wait until I get to the speedster (FMove everything...)

I am thinking of a custom manuever right now to replace legsweep with, +1 OCV +1 DCV, Strike +1d6, should be 3 points

My brick's favorite was grappling block. Helped against speedsters and the like...

The only problem with the exotic blocks is that they lose the abort function. And if you are playing a brick you don't really want to be waiting with too many of your phases.

Ok, here is the current thoughts on a super hero based MA

11 points of martial arts:

Martial Flash: Sight

Martial Throw

Basic Strike (Custom +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Strike +1d6, cost 3 points)

1 point weapon Element

10 +2 HtH skill levels

35 25 point MP

2u 1d6 HKA, 0 end

1u +15 Str, NFC, No lift

1u Missile deflection

1u 5d6 Flash: hearing, no range, 0 end

2u 2d6 HA NND, 0 end

1u 2d6 HA AF 3, 0 end

1u 2" 0 end or 3" leaping (have not decided which yet)

1u +3 DCV

7 +6" running, No NCM (on all 12")

1 +2" swimming, no NCM (on 4")

2 +3-4" of Leaping, no NCM

2 KS: The art of a 1000 lands 11-

3 Breakfall

2 Ks: Chinnese Philosiphy 11-

2 KS: Chinese Healing 11-

----

75 points, now my guy might add 1-3 more slots in the MP, and will probably upgrade the KS's to INT based

Ok, here is the current thoughts on a super hero based MA

11 points of martial arts:

Martial Flash: Sight

Martial Throw

Basic Strike (Custom +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Strike +1d6, cost 3 points)

1 point weapon Element

10 +2 HtH skill levels

35 25 point MP

2u 1d6 HKA, 0 end

1u +15 Str, NFC, No lift

1u Missile deflection

1u 5d6 Flash: hearing, no range, 0 end

2u 2d6 HA NND, 0 end

1u 2d6 HA AF 3, 0 end

1u 2" 0 end or 3" leaping (have not decided which yet)

1u +3 DCV

7 +6" running, No NCM (on all 12")

1 +2" swimming, no NCM (on 4")

2 +3-4" of Leaping, no NCM

2 KS: The art of a 1000 lands 11-

3 Breakfall

2 Ks: Chinnese Philosiphy 11-

2 KS: Chinese Healing 11-

----

75 points, now my guy might add 1-3 more slots in the MP, and will probably upgrade the KS's to INT based

I'd drop the "no lift" Limitation or rephrase it so that you could be sure that all GMs would let you use it with the Martial Throw for Damage. My first gut instinct was to disallow it for the MThrow.

What is the Weapon Element, and is the MP meant to represent the weapon?

I'd drop the "no lift" Limitation or rephrase it so that you could be sure that all GMs would let you use it with the Martial Throw for Damage. My first gut instinct was to disallow it for the MThrow.

What is the Weapon Element, and is the MP meant to represent the weapon?

Well no lift is not saving any points, but is there for record keeping, and like you said, is ment to represent not being able to carry weight, as imagined it would add damage to MThrow, but not influence amount able to effect by it

No the MP is not actualy a weapon, the Weapon element is similar to people allowing TK to be used with a MA by a weapon element. This is hard for me to explain, so keep that in mind

Normal a MA can only be used with a single aspect, be it the characters str or a specific type of weapon, this can be increased by buying weapon elements

As imagined this art can use the MP to augment it, or can ignore the MP and just use what it has as part of it, this seems like two aspects to me, so to increase it's aspects should take a Weapon element.

It might not make a lot of sense, and definatly is heading into the house rules territory

The only problem with the exotic blocks is that they lose the abort function. And if you are playing a brick you don't really want to be waiting with too many of your phases.

Not quite. With Grappling Block for example, you can abort to block, you just can't use the Grappling part of the maneuver.

In that particulatr campaign, I wasn't much more than a shield anyway. I seldom got to get to anyone for fear of the uberweaapns being directed at me being used on fragile team mates. It was a funky build, so it worked fine. At speed 4 I was the slowest guy by a good margin anyway. That character only got to use the grappling block occassionally, stood in the way most of the time, and sometimes got to use his passing throw. Just how it worked out with the characters involved.

Well no lift is not saving any points, but is there for record keeping, and like you said, is ment to represent not being able to carry weight, as imagined it would add damage to MThrow, but not influence amount able to effect by it

No the MP is not actualy a weapon, the Weapon element is similar to people allowing TK to be used with a MA by a weapon element. This is hard for me to explain, so keep that in mind

Normal a MA can only be used with a single aspect, be it the characters str or a specific type of weapon, this can be increased by buying weapon elements

As imagined this art can use the MP to augment it, or can ignore the MP and just use what it has as part of it, this seems like two aspects to me, so to increase it's aspects should take a Weapon element.

It might not make a lot of sense, and definatly is heading into the house rules territory

Oh, I quite understand. I had a discussion about Weapon Elements with Steve not long after UMA came out, because of the Weapon Element in the Zero G Combat write up. I was just checking about the MP to make sure that was how you intended it.

Could you give me an idea of what you are envisioning the various special effects for the various slots in the MP? I can make good guesses at some of them, but I'd like to get a better over all feel.

Oh, I quite understand. I had a discussion about Weapon Elements with Steve not long after UMA came out, because of the Weapon Element in the Zero G Combat write up. I was just checking about the MP to make sure that was how you intended it.

Could you give me an idea of what you are envisioning the various special effects for the various slots in the MP? I can make good guesses at some of them, but I'd like to get a better over all feel.

Martial Arts =), while I am going to be slightly loose on F/X, an argument could even be made it should have the +1/4 verision of Vaious F/X, I don't feel that I am being that loose

35 25 point MP

2u 1d6 HKA, 0 end---Killing punches and kicks

1u +15 Str, NFC, No lift---of all of them this one is the one that most likely deserved the VF/X, it is being so well trained in his application of his natural strength

1u Missile deflection---Dodging or blocking incoming attacks

1u 5d6 Flash: hearing, no range, 0 end---mostly boxing someone's ears

2u 2d6 HA NND, 0 end---Defence is rigid body armor &/or most FF, it represents mostly nerve strikes

1u 2d6 HA AF 3, 0 end---hittling lots

1u 2" 0 end or 3" leaping (have not decided which yet)---him being able to jump further

1u +3 DCV---mostly sidestepping and such

Not quite. With Grappling Block for example' date=' you can abort to block, you just can't use the Grappling part of the maneuver.[/quote']

I'll have to check later. I thought the exotic blocks were built without the abort function, which costs a point iirc.

Me curses the fact that I don't keep a second copy of FREd and the UMA at work for times like this.