Lucha Hero

pinecone

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lucha Hero

In the recent comic, 'Strongman' (http://www.slgcomic.com/Strongman-Volume-One_p_953.html), our hero has two comrades-in-arms.

El Bujo (The Owl) is a scientist who helps our hero out with his brilliant mind and inventive genius, however, his second ally is the weapons master, El Conejo!

Which is to say, The Bunny. Unfortunately, my web-fu isn't helping me find a picture.

Re: Lucha Hero Cover art!

tht wasn't a bunny that was the FLEA from kids wb/cartoon networks mucha lucha

Well, he has long floppy ears. Close enough! ;)

In the recent comic' date=' 'Strongman' (http://www.slgcomic.com/Strongman-Volume-One_p_953.html), our hero has two comrades-in-arms.

El Bujo (The Owl) is a scientist who helps our hero out with his brilliant mind and inventive genius, however, his second ally is the weapons master, El Conejo!

Which is to say, The Bunny. Unfortunately, my web-fu isn't helping me find a picture.

Very cool. If you find a piccie, let me know! My Lucha name would be El Conejito Mal! :eg:

The Lucha cover (featuring the incomparable art of Sam Kennedy!) is finished and shipped off to the printer.

And because teh bunneh is so good to his loyal fans, how about a little sneak preview?

I must admit I've never really been a fan of the Lucha Libre thing, not really getting it, but that cover might just change my mind :)

Brave going with a character called ElEspectro though, wearing a green and white costume...

I must admit I've never really been a fan of the Lucha Libre thing, not really getting it, but that cover might just change my mind :)

Brave going with a character called ElEspectro though, wearing a green and white costume...

he must've patterened his alter-ego with dc comics ghostly guardian the SPECTRE since el espectero means the spectre

he must've patterened his alter-ego with dc comics ghostly gardian the SPECTRE

Well, in the Champs-verse, El ESpectro is supposed to be the local equivalent of both Doctor Fate and Hellboy. Incredible magical powers, all contained in his silver mask, but used to protect innocent humanity from the Powers of Darkness!

Well' date=' in the Champs-verse, El ESpectro is supposed to be the local equivalent of both Doctor Fate and Hellboy. Incredible magical powers, all contained in his silver mask, but used to protect innocent humanity from the Powers of Darkness![/quote']

as did the golden and silver age versions of the spectre

now back to our regular topic

I must admit I've never really been a fan of the Lucha Libre thing' date=' not really getting it, but that cover might just change my mind [/quote']

I guess it's like American comic books; once you accept some of the genre's unique and improbable conventions, you can relax and enjoy what it has to offer. :)

Brave going with a character called ElEspectro though' date=' wearing a green and white costume...[/quote']

he must've patterened his alter-ego with dc comics ghostly guardian the SPECTRE since el espectero means the spectre

Well' date=' in the Champs-verse, El ESpectro is supposed to be the local equivalent of both Doctor Fate and Hellboy. Incredible magical powers, all contained in his silver mask, but used to protect innocent humanity from the Powers of Darkness![/quote']

Given how much Darren Watts, who created El Espectro, knows and loves lucha libre, there can be no doubt that El Espectro is a deliberate homage to the real-life greatest luchadore of them all, and an heroic cultural icon in Mexico, El Santo ("The Saint"): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo

For proof of his status, check out this grand bronze memorial statue of El Santo in Mexico City:

el_santo_statue_mexico.JPG

i guess it's like american comic books; once you accept some of the genre's unique and improbable conventions, you can relax and enjoy what it has to offer. :)

given how much darren watts, who created el espectro, knows and loves lucha libre, there can be no doubt that el espectro is a deliberate homage to the real-life greatest luchadore of them all, and an heroic cultural icon in mexico, el santo ("the saint"): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/santo

for proof of his status, check out this grand bronze memorial statue of el santo in mexico city:

el_santo_statue_mexico.jpg

very impressive

Given how much Darren Watts' date=' who created El Espectro, knows and loves [i']lucha libre[/i], there can be no doubt that El Espectro is a deliberate homage to the real-life greatest luchadore of them all, and an heroic cultural icon in Mexico, El Santo ("The Saint"): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo

That's gorgeous.

In 'Mondo-Lucha-A-Go-Go' (an almost indispensable resource for Lucha Hero GMs), the author's talking to a wrestling promoter in Southern California and he asks him who his favourite is.

"El Santo, of course!"

"How many times have you seen him wrestle?"

"I never managed to see him wrestle live."

"How is it he's your favourite then?"

"Dude! He's SANTO!"

Pretty much sums it up right there.

...I've always been a Blue Demon fan myself.

That's gorgeous.

In 'Mondo-Lucha-A-Go-Go' (an almost indispensable resource for Lucha Hero GMs), the author's talking to a wrestling promoter in Southern California and he asks him who his favourite is.

"El Santo, of course!"

"How many times have you seen him wrestle?"

"I never managed to see him wrestle live."

"How is it he's your favourite then?"

"Dude! He's SANTO!"

Pretty much sums it up right there.

...I've always been a Blue Demon fan myself.

Blue Demon battled both against and with Santo...so it's "OK" I suppose...