DCV when running at full non-combat speed

Doc

Hi,

I'm presently reading the Core book and I find the system really, I mean, really realistic and all, but something keeps bugging me out.

I have a character in a msemi realistic campain that is built in heroic mode. She has SPD 3 and 9 hexes of running, wich make her a "trained" nomral human being.

If, let's say, she had to run in a field to flee form a machine gun at non-combat speed, she would lose half her DCV. Using velocity-based DCV gives exactly the same reasult (DEX=17, normal DCV=6, half DCV and velocity-based DCV=3).

Isn't it a little weird? I mean, wouldn't a person running at full speed be harder to hit by a machine gun? Is there any way to pass through this without changing my character's characteristics or is there something I just didn't get?

Thank you very much.

Re: DCV when running at full non-combat speed

Actually, I believe that being prone cuts the enemy OCV by half for ranged attacks....

More importantly, running at NCM implies a full-on, flat-out sprint from where you are to where you're going to be - trying to run the 4 minute mile, so to speak.

No ducking, no weaving, no dodging, as are assumed at combat speeds. It's not necessarily that you're running twice as fast - it's that you're wasting *zero* time and effort on extraneous movement.

I dont recall seening "Prone = range attackers get their DCV halved", I will have to look again when I have my book handy.

And even if it is in there, its still a bad thing to do if the attacker has a lower OCV than you have DCV.

Attacker = OCV 4, defender = DCV 6

Standing target (normal) : Attacker hits on a 9-

Prone target (attacker halved, defender halved) : Attacker hits on a 10-

Hi,

I'm presently reading the Core book and I find the system really, I mean, really realistic and all, but something keeps bugging me out.

I have a character in a msemi realistic campain that is built in heroic mode. She has SPD 3 and 9 hexes of running, wich make her a "trained" nomral human being.

If, let's say, she had to run in a field to flee form a machine gun at non-combat speed, she would lose half her DCV. Using velocity-based DCV gives exactly the same reasult (DEX=17, normal DCV=6, half DCV and velocity-based DCV=3).

Isn't it a little weird? I mean, wouldn't a person running at full speed be harder to hit by a machine gun? Is there any way to pass through this without changing my character's characteristics or is there something I just didn't get?

Thank you very much.

Hitting a target that is moving in a straight line at a constant speed is considerably easier than hitting one that is basically staying put but is actively trying to not get hit.

As a note, there is nothing I could see in the rules that gives any OCV penalty for attacking a prone target. However someone who is prone might also be able to get concealment bonuses which could potentially more than offset them being at 1/2 DCV.

I think we can assume that someone running from machine gun fire is moving as quickly as they can: the difference between combat and non-combat is not their speed, but their velocity: non-combat, you run in a striaght line and you run upright. Your motion is predictable, so you are easier to aim at, hence a lower DCV.

Non-combat you cover less ground in absolute trerms because you are bent double, jinking left and right, using available cover, maybe rolling and generally moving in an unpredictable manner whilst minimising your profile, so you are trading being in the firing line for longer against having a higher DCV whilst you are there.

I think the rules are pretty 'realistic', for a given value of realism :)

Ha, and as a GM I would also give a prone character some coverage against ranged attacks depending on the distance between the shooter and the target.

(It's easier to shoot in the head of a prone character when he is at your feet than when he is lying 20m away...)

I think we can assume that someone running from machine gun fire is moving as quickly as they can: the difference between combat and non-combat is not their speed, but their velocity: non-combat, you run in a striaght line and you run upright. Your motion is predictable, so you are easier to aim at, hence a lower DCV.

Non-combat you cover less ground in absolute trerms because you are bent double, jinking left and right, using available cover, maybe rolling and generally moving in an unpredictable manner whilst minimising your profile, so you are trading being in the firing line for longer against having a higher DCV whilst you are there.

I think the rules are pretty 'realistic', for a given value of realism :)

Since it is so rare that you mess up, I'm going to stomp on it. ;) Your "Non-combat" sounds a lot like doing it in combat. Cheers :)

In terms of philosophy, it more-or-less makes sense. When you're running at non-combat speed, you're going full tilt in a straight line, basically. It's difficult to maneuver, and if you don't watch it you're gonna trip and fall.

The type of action you're looking for, I think, is the Martial Arts maneuver, "Flying Dodge," which is a Dodge Maneuver (+4 DCV) that also allows for a full move action. You would still want to do this at combat speed, though, since the 1/2 DCV non-combat speed modifier occurs after all bonuses.