New To Character Design, need a little help

Sindark

Re: New To Character Design, need a little help

Great suggestion and I think you are right. I am going to go with that wonderful 350pt build of Incrdbil.

I will start researching Variable Power Pools, Multipower, and Elemental control.

It seems for a character like this, I will have to use some or one of these.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and sorry for my noobism.

Midnight Ghost

Re: New To Character Design, need a little help

Wow Incrdbil that is awesome.

Let me ask you a couple of quick noob questions please?

Always.

Can I possible save points by combining some characteristic cost into what I have seen called Elemental control, that includes Dmg Resistance?

As susano pointed out, there are rules restrictiosn on what can go in an Elemental cOntrol, also, EC's are supposed ot a sort of logical group of abilities that are almost one ability, just manifested in different ways. Many GM's play very loosely with this, to the point of anythign goes though. But Elemental Controsl have a unique vulnerability versus drains and other adjustment powers that you might want to read up on.

Also instead of Radio Perception, should I get N-Ray vision to see through walls and stuff?

Well, the radio is a gadget, I assumed thats just sort of a common thing you'ld Fine. N-Ray will cost you a bit. Truthfully, the radio is handy for a first game--it gives you ways to get in touch with people, and hear about things happening.

I have been told not to put things in a Multipower that I want to use together, instead place them in an Elemental Control. Like Flight, Desolidification and possible Invisibility. What do you think?

EC's with a lot of abilities get very expensive. I went with a Multipower as your character is starting out--maybe you can, with XP, replace the multipower with an EC. I placed many of the abilities for simplicity--I tried to work the Desol and invisibility into an EC, but it just cost so much and took away many other needed items.

I also was told by a friend that if I want to keep Denisity Increase (I thought about dropping it) then I could create a group of powers for this with limitations based on his higher mass (6.4 metric tons!) to save some points as well as a separate group of powers when I have desolidified.

Thats a bit complicated. Truthfully, based on the concept, I would have scrapped the Density control, and went for pure characteristics..but I wanted to get in everythign you listed, and the Density Increase gives you your main offense, enhances your defences.

I think the mental power limitations work well and save points. But Mind scan needs to be outside the Multipower group becasue it is used in conjunction with telepathy.

Again, points. Look at it this way--the MindScan is for finding people. Once you fidn them, get near them, go invisible, then use telepathy. But if its someone you know and is friendly, you can use he Mind Link from any range.

And I possible still need to work in a little life support, I am told some attack powers that beef up my strike, some Mind attacks (Nightmares), and maybe martial arts, or some cool tricks to use with desolidification, etc. But I am not sure. Stuff where i put a hand into someone's chest and disrupt them or something.

Well, at this point level, its hard to do that. It sort of puts your character all over the pace. The Martial Arts---I'd leave that to the Martial Artist. As for the tricks with desolidification, thats cool. Cool enought o perhaps abandon Density increase, which makes you primarily a brick when it comes to offense, and adding in ghostly touch powers. NND's and other such attacks, maybe even a few mental attacks-but that takes you away from what you wanted, a Martian Manhunter type.

The Manhunter is very hard to do at 350 points, because you are replicating a character who works at a much higher points level.

To get closer you would have to take a limitation--perhaps like Hero ID only. That takes you off the Manhunter concpt, as you become someone with a normal form then the heroic one.

thanks again for any suggetions.....i play this toon for the first time tonight.

Have fun. If I'd had more time, my advice would be to pick out a classic archetype and go with it--sometimes simpler is better. I've played one power characters just as fun as those with a ton.

Just for fun, heres the 'Hero Id version' of the above character

Player:

Val Char Cost

15/25 STR 5

14/24 DEX 12

15/25 CON 10

10/15 BODY 0

18 INT 8

18 EGO 16

10/20 PRE 0

10 COM 0

5/20 PD 2

5/20 ED 2

3/5 SPD 6

6/10 REC 0

30/50 END 0

26/41 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3"/5" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 61

Cost Power

Ghostly Form, all slots OIHID (-1/4)

8 1) +10 STR (10 Active Points)

24 2) +10 DEX (30 Active Points)

8 3) +10 PRE (10 Active Points)

16 4) +10 CON (20 Active Points)

8 5) +5 BODY (10 Active Points)

8 6) +1 SPD (10 Active Points)

10 7) +13 PD (13 Active Points)

10 8) +13 ED (13 Active Points)

8 9) Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED) (10 Active Points)

20 Ghostly powers: Elemental Control, 50-point powers, (25 Active Points); all slots OIHID (-1/4) [Notes: These

represent the ability to control form in a ghostly manner--

to pass through obkects, to change appearance, or

vanish from sight, or simply fly off the ground.]

20 1) Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4)

20 2) Invisibility to Sight, Hearing, Radio, Smell/Taste and

Mental Groups , Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4)

20 3) Flight 20", x8 Noncombat (50 Active Points)

11 Mental Powers: Elemental Control, 40-point powers, ); all

slots OIHID (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to

Activate, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

11 1) Mind Scan 8d6 (40 Active Points)

11 2) Telepathy 8d6 (40 Active Points)

10 3) Mind Link , Any Willing Target, No LOS Needed, Number

of Minds (x8) (40 Active Points); Costs Endurance

(Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

42 Form manipulation: Multipower, 52-point reserve, (52

Active Points); all slots OIHID (-1/4) [Notes: This is the

ability to alter his structure, including using his ghostly

ability to pass through others body and disrupt them.]

4u 1) Density Increase (12,800 kg mass, +35 STR, +7

PD/ED, -7" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (

3u 2) Stretching 8", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (50 Active Points); no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

3u 3) Paralyzing Touch: Drain Dex 5d6 (50 Active Points);

Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

Powers Cost: 275

Cost Skill

3 Acting 11- (13-)

3 Tracking 13-

5 +1 with HTH Combat

3 One more skill for the road

Skills Cost: 14

Total Character Cost: 350