Not the Dark Age -- the Dork Age!

FenrisUlf

HI all,

Just wondering if anyone here would agree with the author's definition of what constitutes the Dork Age in superhero comics.

I have heard some of those examples mentioned here before, but the one with 'Bloodball' sounds so ridiculous that even considering all the nonsense that happened with Marvel Civil War I'm still convinced it's all a joke being played on non-readers of the series.

Re: Not the Dark Age -- the Dork Age!

Uhm..

I .. uh.. kind of liked the Justice League Detroit group :o

I never read anything about them, but I'm glad you like them.

BTW, isn't the 'Steel' who appeared in that comic the very same guy whose family got killed off a little while back in the new JSA?

I never read anything about them, but I'm glad you like them.

BTW, isn't the 'Steel' who appeared in that comic the very same guy whose family got killed off a little while back in the new JSA?

The JLA Detroit character was killed at the end of the JLA Detroit run. The new Steel is related.

I am surprised that they mention neither the "black costume" of Spidey (although it is still around and causing trouble)' date=' nor the utterly unlikeable Robin (that was so bad that the fans actually voted to have him killed).[/quote']

Well they can't mention everything, and the Ben Reilly era was far worse than the black costume era. As for Jason Todd, sure he was unlikeable but in the end he was just a supporting character.

Well they can't mention everything' date=' and the Ben Reilly era was far worse than the black costume era. As for Jason Todd, sure he was unlikeable but in the end he was just a supporting character.[/quote']

At the end he was a bruise. Then dead.

Sorry Jason.

The only thing wrong with the Detroit JLA was that it was called the JLA' date=' when it wasn't. Apart from that it was a perfectly fine team.[/quote']

Agreed. It wouldn't be nearly as vilified if they'd tried a different name.

Things I did like about it.

Aquaman as leader (I've always liked Aquaman, even in his pre hook days)

Vixen and Zatanna's friendly rivalry for Gun (Lucky bastage)

Steel was a pretty cool guy, and kept his emo moments rare but appropriate.

Vibe bugged me as being too much a sterotype, until he gets hurt, and when Steel is getting him to safety, forgets his accent. That's when I realized he'd been playing it up. When Steel notices this, Vibe's excuse is "Whatchu want? I'm sick." :) After that, I liked him.

but they should have gone by a different name.

Vibe bugged me as being too much a sterotype' date=' until he gets hurt, and when Steel is getting him to safety, forgets his accent. That's when I realized he'd been playing it up. When Steel notices this, Vibe's excuse is "Whatchu want? I'm sick." :) After that, I liked him.[/quote']

I'd pretty much forgotten Vibe. I haven't read the story you described, so I still held your original view of him. I may have to take another look at him, although since I wasn't collecting JLA for most of that period, I don't have many stories involving him.

But what about a Champions Universe Dork Age? Would that be Champions: The New Millennium?

Probably...

Only there might be some who'd say in this case, it wasn't the new take on the superheroes and setting that was the problem, but the distrubution (Or whatever the mechanics would equate to ;) )

I'd pretty much forgotten Vibe. I haven't read the story you described' date=' so I still held your original view of him. I may have to take another look at him, although since I wasn't collecting JLA for most of that period, I don't have many stories involving him.[/quote']

IIRC, he's dead and his brother took up the name and powers.

Probably...

Only there might be some who'd say in this case, it wasn't the new take on the superheroes and setting that was the problem, but the distrubution (Or whatever the mechanics would equate to ;) )

They might say that but by and large they would be wrong. :D

IIRC' date=' he's dead and his brother took up the name and powers.[/quote']

Yes. I've got the issue he died in, as well as the one where Steel died.

His brother showed up as a member of The Conglomerate with the same powers but a different name. Of course by now he could be using the same name, have died, become the Spectre, returned from the dead and be using Honkin' Big Guns for all I know.

But the original Vibe still seems to be dead.

Yes. I've got the issue he died in, as well as the one where Steel died.

His brother showed up as a member of The Conglomerate with the same powers but a different name. Of course by now he could be using the same name, have died, become the Spectre, returned from the dead and be using Honkin' Big Guns for all I know.

But the original Vibe still seems to be dead.

you're right. I think he went by Reverb.

Did I hear tell that someone related to Steel is using the name now?

you're right. I think he went by Reverb.

Did I hear tell that someone related to Steel is using the name now?

There's a 'Citizen Steel' in the new JSA. He got his powers by accident when a steel-skinned Nazi named Reichsmark puked on him in a superbattle. No, I'm not kidding.

Some people get all the GOOD vomit...

Not all that good. This happened during a massacre in which we got to see Citizen Steel's entire family get greased in a scene worthy of the Authority, what with Baroness Blitzkrieg (a speedster) running right through screaming women and children, sending their limbs flying in a shower of blood, and others like Swastika* and Captain Nazi ripping them limb from limb.

OTOH, the same plotline also introduced the new Red Tornado (a motormouth redhead, Ma Hunkel's granddaughter) and the new Wildcat, who's an actual werecat*.

* -- They might sound familiar to anyone who read the legendary Kingdom Come book.

For a brief while in the comics, Superman was given a major overhaul, and turned into a type of Energy Being. His name was changed to "Superman Blue" (and Superman Red) and comics covers said "he would be different forever." Massive protest resulted in an Authors Saving Throw and he was changed back.

Hmm. When I read this, I always figured he'd eventually get changed back--meanwhile, we got to see that no matter what powers he had, he'd still be incredibly effective with them, which is yet another thing that makes Superman the Greatest Superhero Ever.

Seriously, though, I think Superman as a Champions character would have PS: Superpowers at 25 or less. Not only does he know how to use his own powers to best effect, but he'd know how to use other supers' powers to best effect.

Which might make a character like that annoying, if he were to go around all the time saying to other heroes, "You know what would be a really great way to use your powers, is if you. . ."

Or something like that.