Defunct Comic Publishers and Licenced Sourcebooks

TheQuestionMan

Greetings HEROphiles, it appearers that SirKerry of Hommlet is really interested in Defunct Comics as Licensed Hero Sourcebooks. Here are some Resources SirKerry.

Catagory: Defunct Comics - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_comics_and_manga_publishers

The Mighty Crusaders - Defunct Comics Resources

http://www.mightycrusaders.net/

Comics you loved...but apparently no one else did - Related Thread

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42638&highlight=Comics+loved

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero Alliance (Innovation Publishing)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_Alliance

Justice Machine (Comico Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_Machine

Elementals (Comico Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementals_(Comico_Comics)

Femforce (A.C. Comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femforce

For myself I always wanted to see the Ultraverse, the Valiant Universe, and the Sigilverse as Sourcebooks. Either Fan Products or Licenced.

QM

Re: Defunct Comic Publishers and Licenced Sourcebooks

Greetings Herphiles' date=' it appeares that [b']SirKerry[/b] of Hommlet is really interested in Defunct Comics as Licenced Hero Sourcebooks. Here are some Resources SirKerry.

For myself I always wanted to see the Ultraverse, the Valiant Universe, and the Sigilverse as Sourcebooks. Either Fan Products or Licenced.

Thanks for the resources, QM. Yeah, those would be nice, but I suspect they'd have to be fan products as the rights holders are likely to want more for the licenses then they're worth. I actually came across a copy of the Ultraverse Writer's Bible last night - interesting background stuff.

Kerry

Erm... perhaps I'm just dense. But if a property couldn't thrive in the (much larger) world of comic-book fandom, why would it thrive in the (much smaller) world of RPG fandom? In other words, if the comic book failed, wouldn't RPG material based on the comic also be likely to fail?

It sorta reminds me of when I see someone open a pizza joint in the same location where another pizza joint just went out of business. If that location already drove one pizza joint under, why on earth would you risk your money opening another pizza joint there? :confused::)

Erm... perhaps I'm just dense. But if a property couldn't thrive in the (much larger) world of comic-book fandom' date=' why would it thrive in the (much smaller) world of RPG fandom? In other words, if the comic book failed, wouldn't RPG material based on the comic also be likely to fail?[/quote']

Good point.

I guess it's possible that the sales numbers you'd need to make $ would be lower, too? And you'd be able to recycle a lot of content.

But it does seem that committed fans would be more likely to spend the it would take to make what's discussed above.

SirKerry has said the plan was to release them as PDF's. Depending on what he values his time as, and the cost of the liscence, the cost of creating the book would be almost nil. It wouldn't take much to turn a profit (again assuming the IP could be obtained at a reasonable price).

SirKerry has said the plan was to release them as PDF's. Depending on what he values his time as' date=' sell one and he's pretty much made some profit...Right?[/quote']Sure, as long as (A) he was going to make them for his own amusement anyway, and figures he might as well make a buck at the same time, or (B) values his time very little. ;)

(Or I guess there could also be a ©... he is going to do something with them anyway, but with some additional effort could get them spruced up well enough to sell. Then the only cost balanced against the profit would be the time it would take to do the "sprucing up." :) )

I'd like to point out that the more esoteric defunct hero worlds function much more like "Real" champions games than many of the mainstream ones. You may find a better audience.

Heck, some of them even started as a RPG campaign ;)

there are factors that could explain the problem

1 pizza shop was run by sombody that had no business sence

2 crappy service

3 too many pizza joints in the area

4 nobody in the area likes pizza

5 ran out of the special sauce/lost the secret recipe(ran out of cool ideas/story lines)

look at Buffy the vampire slayer

movie sucked

TV show rawked

the character concepts might be cool,but the way they where presented or where the story took them killed the book

Erm... perhaps I'm just dense. But if a property couldn't thrive in the (much larger) world of comic-book fandom, why would it thrive in the (much smaller) world of RPG fandom? In other words, if the comic book failed, wouldn't RPG material based on the comic also be likely to fail?

It sorta reminds me of when I see someone open a pizza joint in the same location where another pizza joint just went out of business. If that location already drove one pizza joint under, why on earth would you risk your money opening another pizza joint there? :confused::)

I'd love to see the Crusaders, but aren't they still owned by DC under the Impact imprint?

Man I love me a good flag suit.

Actualy no, they were never DC's, but rather licenced to them by, and some will have trouble believing it

Archie Comics

Here's the Wikki entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Crusaders

& From the Archie's web site

http://www.archiecomics.com/acpaco_offices/askthearchivist/ask_superheros.htm

Also, and this might seem odd, but real world and all, if the first restraunt is in financial trouble (REasonable assumption) restrauant B might be able to get the supplies from A cheaply, decreasing overhead making for a higher chance of profitability

Also' date=' and this might seem odd, but real world and all, if the first restraunt is in financial trouble (REasonable assumption) restrauant B might be able to get the supplies from A cheaply, decreasing overhead making for a higher chance of profitability[/quote']

And if they make a better product...

Though it's a weak comparison.

PDF product, low overhead in all likelyhood, as long as one isn't expecting to make their living off of this one product...

I'd really like to see the "Malibu Comics" characters resurrected. I was very annoyed when Marvel simply purchased the line and then killed off the characters after ONE "crossover" event !

Yeah, that would be great. I doubt we'll ever see them again from Marvel.

Kerry