If *you* were the Spectre...

FenrisUlf

I'm curious: if you lived in the DC-verse, and after your untimely demise became the Spectre, the Spirit of Vengeance, just who would you go after?

Myself, old Laughing Boy (the Joker) would be at the top of the list. See how funny he still thinks everything is when I glue him into a chair, tape his eyelids open, and make him watch every episode of Squidbillies, 12 Oz. Mouse, and Assy McGee back-to-back. He'll be begging for death by the end!

Seriously, the Spectre kills the most evil people, right? So why is Mister J still sucking oxygen (aside from, of course, "we can't kill Batman's main villain!")? Shouldn't Hal have greased him years ago?

Re: If *you* were the Spectre...

The Toronto Maple Leafs. I'd make sure that they never won another Cup...

Oh. Guess that's taken care of.

Seriously, Joker is just another in a long list of run of the mill psychopaths. He might have killed more people than Ted Bundy, but this is comics, after all. Big powers call for big people: Kobra (I have not forgotten what you did to your brother you b**d); Lex Luthor, whoever is currently big, normal and bad. Darkseid, Typhon, that kind of guy if you can swing it. I mean, over at the DCU there is omnipotent and then there is omnipotent. Joker would be a long way down the "to do" list.

If I recall' date=' DC had some story where Joker was beyond Spectre's power because both Joker's insanity, and his lack of remorse. Sounds bogus to me, but I maybe getting the details wrong.[/quote']

The insanity I can see. Lack of remorse, though? That seems like the type of people he should be punishing.

This is true.The biggest problem I have with the Spectre is not his occasional ludicrous power level,it's the fact that,for a Spirit of Vengeance,he doesn't take out the people who DESERVE to be taken out.Even if you ignore Luthor and the Joker,what about the Ultra-Humanite?Why wasn't that murderous psycho taken out years ago?

If I recall' date=' DC had some story where Joker was beyond Spectre's power because both Joker's insanity, and his lack of remorse. Sounds bogus to me, but I maybe getting the details wrong.[/quote']

That was pretty much the gist of it. It was during the Ostrander/Mandrake run. In the story the Spectre finds out that the Joker isn't really evil. His actions are due to the mental changes caused by being dropped in a vat of acid. It would be the same as murdering a cat for killing a mouse.

There's a scene in there where the Spectre actually fixes his mind and the Joker breaks down and starts crying because he realizes all the terrible things he has done. Naturally, instead of keeping him fixed the Spectre returns him to his original state. Makes perfect sense. :)

There's a scene in there where the Spectre actually fixes his mind and the Joker breaks down and starts crying because he realizes all the terrible things he has done. Naturally' date=' instead of keeping him fixed the Spectre returns him to his original state. Makes perfect sense. :)[/quote']

:faceplant:

Say, anyone ever read the comic where the Spectre goes toe-to-toe with Darkseid and one-shots him? Didn't take, but man did I ever love seeing that. :thumbup:

The Toronto Maple Leafs. I'd make sure that they never won another Cup...

Oh. Guess that's taken care of.

As a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, I don't find that that funny at all. Not at all. No. I think I know my first target if I were the Spectre.

:D

I got a laugh - a sad laugh it's true - out of the Spectre in Kingdom Come (his appearance was an inspired narrative plot device, though). He spends the entire series going round saying he's going to punish the Evil, and as the series builds to a climax, his guide is going "Now? Can we punish them now? OK, well how about now?" while the Spectre waits. "No, not yet, I need to see who's really guilty"

And then when it's all goes down and people die by the hundred, the Spectre goes "Oh. I guess there's no guilty parties, actually. OK, I'm done here, THNXBY" and disappears.

So if it was me? I'd get the guy who came up with the idea of the Spectre in the first place. It's a cool idea, but an editor - like a GM - has to know when to say "That's a cool concept, but it's unplayable. Maybe if you dialed the powers back a notch or two."

cheers, Mark

So if it was me? I'd get the guy who came up with the idea of the Spectre in the first place. It's a cool idea' date=' but an editor - like a GM - has to know when to say "That's a cool concept, but it's unplayable. Maybe if you dialed the powers back a notch or two."[/quote']

That would be Jerry Siegel, co-creator of Superman. If anything, he's likely more untouchable than the Joker ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So if it was me? I'd get the guy who came up with the idea of the Spectre in the first place. It's a cool idea' date=' but an editor - like a GM - has to know when to say "That's a cool concept, but it's unplayable. Maybe if you dialed the powers back a notch or two."[/quote']The whole "vengeance incarnate" schtick might be a more workable idea in a universe where there's a common origin for ultra-baddies (even if people other than the vengeance incarnate don't realize there's a common origin). For example, imagine a universe vaguely similar to Scott Bennie's Gestalt universe, except that in this one, everyone with powers actually gets them from some supernatural spirits or some such. As the Spirit of Vengeance, our "Spectre" might be unable to exact vengeance on other Spirits; the Spirit of Vengeance might be an avenger of humans only. In such a universe, the Spectre could bring vengeance upon "regular" evildoers, but not supervillains...