Analysis of the Red-Shirt Phenomenon in Star Trek

Susano

Re: Analysis of the Red-Shirt Phenomenon in Star Trek

Not to mention how geeky I feel knowing Morgan Woodward who played Cpt. Tracy in Omega Glory also played Dr. Van Gelder in another episode. (Not to mention about 30 different guest characters on Gunsmoke) :o

Note: And Williams Shatner was also a guest villain on at least one episode of Gunsmoke.

Not to mention that for years, Deforest Kelly was THE go to guy if you wanted villain in a western. He had the face that could do "crazy guy with a gun" with almost no effort. ie to see this in action see him in the time travel episode "City on the Edge of Forever". He plays crazed quite well in that ep.

While people DO joke about Redshirts. The reality is that a Large amount of crew wore the Red shirt with no deaths. The analysis that points out that the high Risk Factor Redshirts are Ships Security is right on the money. Basically Security on a Federation starship seems to be a cross between a Ship's troop (ie Marine) and Ship's defense force. The are obviously trained to take a bullet for the Sr Officers and other non Security Personnel sent down to the surface.

Yes' date=' many of the shipboard deaths were casualties in Engineering because it is first of all, the most dangerous section of the ship and it's the one that probably has the most personnel. But that doesn't have much bearing on his analysis of the effectiveness of Kirk liasons at reducing redshirt mortality. (Which is entirely valid of course, because Kirk liasons reduce the time in the script which could be used to kill people.)[/quote']

Actually it seemed like Gunnery deck was at least as dangerous as Engineering.

The Most Interesting Man in the World played a red shirt on Star Trek—and survived

It sounds like a bit from the Dos Equis commercials, but in this case, it appears to be true. Jonathan Goldsmith, who plays the beer company's Most Interesting Man in the World, appeared in the second episode of the original Star Trek series, "The Corbomite Maneuver." He only appears on screen for a moment, but he also doesn't get a death scene.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44973[/ATTACH]

As my ex just returned a stack of ancient materials to me, she had hidden away in a box somewhere, I happen to have my original Starfleet Technical Manualat hand. Turning to the section on Uniforms, letsee... Command:Tenne, Sciences:Blue, Engineering and Support Services: Red

Interesting. Yep, division insignia confirms the same.

Security does gets mentioned in the Org charts, tho.