Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

IIRC, the Boys was put to effective use by Marine Corps Raiders in early WW2.

I wonder if the damage would be on par with an M82 (which fires the .50 BMG round).

Well, if we're posting the Boys anti-tank rifle, then we have to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnhlD0HZAm4

While searching for videos of the Boys Rifle being fired, I came across that particular training film. Man oh man...it brings a goofy tight-lipped grin to my face.

18674__96047.1416292223.1280.1280.JPG?c=

This is the Marlin 1895 SBL.

All in all, a fairly straightforward rifle. It chambers an old school strapping caliber (.45-70 Government) and utilizes a similarly venerable lever-action design, yet features some modern improvements (stainless steel finish, synthetic stock, plastic butt pad, and accessory rail).

Not a bad hunk of lead-slinging steel to tote on a primeval wilderness excursion :yes: .

The marlin is a great rifle. My dad has one. Even though I am closer to 300 pounds than I like to think, using the Hornady leverevolution ammo it took me several seconds to get back on a 100 yard target.

I would like to get a lever a tion .45 colt. At pressure levels safe in my New Vaquero I should be able to push 325 gr8 bullets nearly 1100 fps out of the carbine.

I would like to get a lever a tion .45 colt.

Like a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in .45 Colt, with a 20-inch octagonal barrel, equipped with a Marbles tang sight and given a custom action job? :D

There are better pics online, but this one is mine . . . and yes, it's fun to shoot.

I should point out that I use the tang sight without an insert, so that it acts like a ghost ring sight. I'm not sure what that would do for long-range accuracy, but it works VERY well for timed shooting at moderate ranges.

post-389-0-94444600-1426654408_thumb.jpg

The nice thing about conventional long gun designs like this is that they carry well--no protruding grips, magazines, bolt assists, or raised sights. Very comfortable to sling and very easy to stick in a soft case.

The great thing about "no frills" is that there aren't any frills to get caught on something or to be broken off :snicker: .

Oddly that was a big driving force in weapons design through the seventies and early eighties. The AUG and some other weapons were designed to have a minimum of protrusions that would get hung up on foliage in the jungle. The pendulum has now gone way over in the other direction with picatinny rails, optics, grips, and accessories, to the point where I wonder how soldiers don't get all tangled up in their weapon. Even my replica M4 had an annoying tendency to get its safety selector caught on my vest or belts and self-select a setting other than 'safe'.

Like a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited in .45 Colt, with a 20-inch octagonal barrel, equipped with a Marbles tang sight and given a custom action job? :D

There are better pics online, but this one is mine . . . and yes, it's fun to shoot.

I should point out that I use the tang sight without an insert, so that it acts like a ghost ring sight. I'm not sure what that would do for long-range accuracy, but it works VERY well for timed shooting at moderate ranges.

lucky pastiche...   I was actually thinking about a Rossi Saddle ring carbine, fitted with a peep sight.   ;-)    I should get off my patootie drag my dad out to the  shop, and convert a Martini Cadet to .45 colt.  That would take a new barrel though, and money is tight.   

Though I do have a job interview today...  :-)

This is one I am drooling over, but I still don't know what the length of pull will be.   Probably longer than Ideal for military use, not able to shorten it a bit for use in body armor. 

On the other hand, an 8 lb bullpup in 7.62x51...

http://deserttech.com/mdr.php

It certainly looks impressive.  I could see it finding its way into movies or action shows, perhaps as the weapon of a squad of elite soldiers, or what the mook guards are carrying that the good guys can take away from them.

With a 24 inch barrel, a sniper rifle...

If I had absolute power I would arrange testing of it chambered in a 6.5mm cartridge based on the European 5.6x50mm case. Using a thin stainless steel case body and aluminum case head, it should weigh only a lite more than a 5.56mm, while allowing significantly improved ballistics. A very efficient bullet design with a partial aluminum core weighing roughly 100 to 120 grains should be able to be driven 2700 to 3000fps, and roughly match the trajectory of 7.62x51mm. It would start out with right about 2000 ft-lbs instead of 2800, but would probably retain more velocity and energy as the range extends. Probably around 400 yards out it should have more retained energy.

The case head, the same size as a 5.56mm should allow for a 4 column magazine not much wider than a standard 2 column 7.62x51mm case. So instead of long 30 rounds magazines, a shorter, fatter "brick" magazine holding 40 rds in a slightly longer package than a 2" rd.

The Army seems to be looking hard at polymer cases, as well as the LSAT program's polymer cased telescopes rounds, apparently now focused on a roughly 6.5mm bore.

Hey, a geek can dream, can't he?

The fact that by changing barrel, by, and magazine well spacer it should be possible to quickly change to almost any cartridge from .204 Ruger to .358 Winchester; and any desired barrel length just adds to the attractiveness, IMO.

Depending on the exact bolt design and feed/ejection system, it might even be possible to chamber in cartridges based on the short magnums cases.

Well, if you had absolute power, would there be a need for new weapons?  Because if you had absolute power, you could abolish war as a means of settling disputes domestically and internationally, because the whole world would be one people, one nation under your absolute control.  There would be no need of weapons of war, because there would be no war.

Unless you planned to keep war going as a means of keeping the people impoverished, as per Orwell's 1984.

Just thinking about things.

Well, if you had absolute power, would there be a need for new weapons?  Because if you had absolute power, you could abolish war as a means of settling disputes domestically and internationally, because the whole world would be one people, one nation under your absolute control.  There would be no need of weapons of war, because there would be no war.

Unless you planned to keep war going as a means of keeping the people impoverished, as per Orwell's 1984.

Just thinking about things.

I was thinking internal to the nation, or more accurately just not thinking it through.   A better Phrasing would have been based on a friend's Facebook question

"If you won the largest lottery on record ..."

If it was Greg Almighty, the world's population would probably decrease rapidly, and I would be Damned.   

The Army seems to be looking hard at polymer cases, as well as the LSAT program's polymer cased telescopes rounds, apparently now focused on a roughly 6.5mm bore.

The change to polymer cased telescoped is pretty much the only way a switch to 6.5mm will happen.  Existing calibers are too entrenched; it will take a weapons system with a significant advantage to overcome the inertia.  Can't happen soon enough IMO since 5.56mm has proven to have insufficient effective range in the Stan, compounded by the switch to carbine barrels that rob the round of muzzle velocity.

The change to polymer cased telescoped is pretty much the only way a switch to 6.5mm will happen.  Existing calibers are too entrenched; it will take a weapons system with a significant advantage to overcome the inertia.  Can't happen soon enough IMO since 5.56mm has proven to have insufficient effective range in the Stan, compounded by the switch to carbine barrels that rob the round of muzzle velocity.

It looks like there are a couple cartridge designs out of the Marksmanship training unit that may be designed for polymer "more conventional" case designs, as they have unusual case and shoulder tapers, iirc.  I think they are .264 USA and .277 USA.   

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/10/usamu-264-usa/

BOth the 5.56 and the 7.62x51mm were designed for relatively short for caliber bullets, and that has handicapped them from the beginning.  If Each was set up with a magazine well at least .25 inch longer, they could handle longer, more efficient bullets.   

oh, interesting comparison of red and green laser sights.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/23/luckygunner-puts-red-and-green-lasers-head-to-head/

the new A1 loads for the 5.56 and 7.62 may have too much penetration for safe use in live fire shoot houses...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/03/23/army-stops-use-of-a1-epr-ammunition-in-shoot-houses-round-has-too-much-penetration/

pJJY6Z2.jpg

Spotted this picture the other day and was fascinated this is a Burgess folding shotgun,It's a fully functional pump action shotgun with 6 rounds that you can hidden under a coat patented in 1893 and designed for combat rather than hunting. there is More information here but the quote that jumped out at me was this,

"One of the more significant purchases for Burgess folding shotguns was secured with the aid of just such a holster. Burgess salesman Charlie Dammon – an impressive exhibition shooter – made an appointment with then New York City Police Board President Theodore Roosevelt in 1885, and arrived concealing a loaded Burgess in a holster under his coat. After exchanging a few greetings, Dammon thoroughly startled Roosevelt by whipping out the gun, snapping it shut, and blasting six blanks into the ceiling of the office. Roosevelt, always one to be enthusiastic about weapons technology, promptly order one hundred of the guns for use in the New York State Penal System"

holster-1024x726.jpg

supposedly it was very fast firing with exhibition shooters able to shoot 6 thrown clay pigeons simultaneously or have all 6 empty shells in the air at the same time.

Nice catch, freakyboy6117. I would still prefer a Remington 870 in the "Witness Protection" configuration (see spoiler-concealed image below) as my go-to concealable shotgun, but your scattergun would add a touch of distinctiveness to an old-timey gunfighter or new-age survivalist.

b9b7d3033d32a1799f29f97451c27e21.jpg