COM - What does it mean?

mirkossia

Re: COM - What does it mean?

Re a character with a COM of 70.

She would have a 23- Complimentary Skill Roll based on COM that she could use with interaction skills at the GM's option. So' date=' if she had Persuasion 11-, and she was trying to persuade in a friendly manner where the GM thought her looks would be a factor, she'd be very likely to get what she wanted.[/quote']

:) Well, yeah, the mechanics are easy enough. The problem is that COM has a sort of always on limitation built in. Would she be the opposite of a convicted pedophile --banned from within 800 yards of a nursing home because of all the heart failures she induces, just walking into a room? :eek:

Could she walk down Castro Street and smile at every man she sees; and the next day there be not a single gay man in San Francisco? :nonp:

Something of a hyperbole, but really, considering what a 70 STR or EGO can do, is that too far to go with a 70 COM? :help:

Midas

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re a character with a COM of 70.

:) Well, yeah, the mechanics are easy enough. The problem is that COM has a sort of always on limitation built in. Would she be the opposite of a convicted pedophile --banned from within 800 yards of a nursing home because of all the heart failures she induces, just walking into a room? :eek:

Could she walk down Castro Street and smile at every man she sees; and the next day there be not a single gay man in San Francisco? :nonp:

Something of a hyperbole, but really, considering what a 70 STR or EGO can do, is that too far to go with a 70 COM? :help:

Midas

From a strict mechanics POV, you just get the complimentary skill roll. The other effects you name could use COM as a special effect, but don't come free with the stat.

You could always allow her to make a 14d6 COM attack, using the PRE Attack table, only against targets who would be influenced by her appearance and only for effects that could be justified as a reaction to that appearance. ;)

Well' date=' not necessarily, but remember that 70 STR costs twice as much as 70 COM. And 70 EGO costs four times as much![/quote']

Thought about that, but the way I interpret the various costs is by general usefulness. If strength is the baseline (1pt) characteristic, then EGO is twice as useful, and DEX is three times as useful. And COM is only half so. So they should all have the same effect: A 14d6 punch, mental blast, or PRE attack variant (as Oddhat suggested) would be roughly the same effect.

In the right situation, a devastating smile can do more damage than a terrific punch.

Back to my earlier post, what I am looking at is the problem a GM has with that kind of stat. Being that COM is area effect and always on (within limits), it operates something like Unluck. > How often does the local FLGS empty out, and drooling fanboys follow her helplessly as she goes down the street? Don't even think about what happens when she visits Frat House Row.

My questions are: How often should the GM make game effect use of the stat? And, what would the effects of having someone like that in the vacinity?

Midas

Thought about that' date=' but the way I interpret the various costs is by general usefulness. If strength is the baseline (1pt) characteristic, then EGO is twice as useful, and DEX is three times as useful. And COM is only half so. So they should all have the same effect: A 14d6 punch, mental blast, or PRE attack variant (as Oddhat suggested) would be roughly the same effect.[/quote']

Well, the pricing is off. EGO is worth much less than STR, which is the best deal in the game.

In the right situation, a devastating smile can do more damage than a terrific punch.

Back to my earlier post, what I am looking at is the problem a GM has with that kind of stat. Being that COM is area effect and always on (within limits), it operates something like Unluck. > How often does the local FLGS empty out, and drooling fanboys follow her helplessly as she goes down the street? Don't even think about what happens when she visits Frat House Row.

Unless the high COM character has purchased Unluck or Distinctive Features, there's no reason to mess with him that way, not unless high STR guy is breaking things when he tries to pick them up, high INT and DEX guy are both infinitely bored at all times, and high PRE guy is constantly causing people to piss themselves when he tries to chat.

My questions are: How often should the GM make game effect use of the stat? And, what would the effects of having someone like that in the vacinity?

I give high COM characters that complimentary skill role, and I role play other characters as noticing them. I might have an NPC or two struck dumb trying to talk to a high COM character. Unless he is getting points for a disad, that's as far as I'd usually go.

Yeah..."They are Super powers" so no downside at all unless taken, I'd see it maybe as being so Da** winsome, noone can resist her. Galacticus decides to eat some Other world, the castro stays fashion aware, but an occasional staying to the other team might happen.

I think of it as Ginger vs Mary anne, "Everybodys kid sister" is mary ann...but nobody trys to nail their sister. (not normally anyway) so the Hyper-com is Nonsexual. So everyone finds her atractive but they don't start acting like freaks.