Why must wolves be evil?

FenrisUlf

Re: Why must wolves be evil?

You think so? I've read the books too' date=' and I always had this image of Gurgi as a somewhat seedy werewolf type of critter.[/quote']

Nope, I always felt the books were pretty clear that Gurgi was a little furball much like in the movie. That's why he needed Taran to protect him.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gurgi was not a physical presence; at least not in the first three books which I can recall. However, he wasn't entirely helpless either; he participated in several encounters and wielded a sword in at least a few of them. There was nothing wolf like about his description; he was more monkey-ish than anything. When Taran first saw him he wasn't sure if it was a very hairy man or an animal. The old druid-esque character encountered in the first book said Gurgi was somewhere between man and animal -- the phrase was something along the lines of Gurgi no longer having the wisdom of animals nor the learning of man IIRC.

Yeah, I always saw Gurgi as apelike/ramapitithicene too.

And I must confess, since my players hadn't read the books, I shamelessly ripped both him and Flewddur Fflam off: they both made *great* NPCs - I didn't even modify them as I usually do "sourced" NPCs.

I've never watched the movie - and that's intentional

cheers, Mark

I've never watched the movie - and that's intentional

cheers, Mark

Which is smart of you. Myself, I saw it when I was suffering through a killer toothache. The whole thing seems like a drug trip or a fever dream now; I can't really remember just what was actually happening on the screen and what was just my fever-addled brain playing tricks on me.

Hmm, to try and get this thread back on track, has anyone else here ever read any of the Dragon Knight novels by Gordon Dickson? They have some good lupine characters in them (like Aragh), which struck me as unusual when I first read them.

I'm surprised noone's mentioned some of the oldest myths involving wolves. Anubis is the canine-headed god of the egyptians (you can occasionally see him on the sidebar to the left) - he was the guardian of the dead, a decidedly benevolant position in the Egyptian world-view.

Also the mythical origen of Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome, is that they were born of or at least raised by a wolf.

I know there are other examples, but they just don't leap to mind right now, and I have too much reading to do to do a websearch for 'em.

Also the mythical origen of Romulus and Remus' date=' the founders of Rome, is that they were born of or at least raised by a wolf.[/quote']

Well since the Romans also used "Lupus" as slang for a prostitute, it's possible, they were actually raised by a hooker with a heart of gold :D

cheers, Mark

The worst example of that opinion that I ever saw was in the three Redwall novels by Brian Jacques that I read. All predators are not only evil but hopelessly stupid and treacherous; and all the cute nice disease-bearing rodents (mice and squirrels and shrews) are gentle, loving, and so innocent you wind up wondering if they all had lobotomies or something. Ugh. Such utterly crappy novels.

As a former Redwall fan, I have to agree. Actually, that's one of the reasons I had plans for Redwall fanfiction. Of course, that never fell through the way I wanted because I found myself drastically altering things to the point of unrecognizability.