Dealing with Stun, End etc in Fantasty

The Souljourner

I'm planning to run my first FH game and a few things worry me about using Hero for fantasy. The first is stun vs body damage. In hero, 99% of the time, when someone goes down, they're unconscious. How do you make battle more lethal? The Fantasy Hero supplement gives several options, but none seem very elegant. Best one seemed to be putting reduced penetration on the stun from weapons (so you split the stun in half and apply it to the target's armor twice). That would work, I think but it's a little clunky, and it doesn't help when you are fighting someone lightly armored.

I'm considering getting rid of stun from most weapons and leaving it for some spells, specifically trying to subdue someone, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions that have worked well in their campaigns?

Second - how do you deal with Endurance? I like endurance for spellcasters, but I'm not sure I like it for warriors and rogues and other people who are just running around. I mean, it's cool to have a mechanic to use to wear someone down by making them run around too much, but I'm just not sure it'll be worth all the bookkeeping.

Any thoughts on these and other topics for my first game would be very handy. For reference, I've played plenty of Champions games, so I'm pretty familiar with the rules, just haven't played Fantasy.

-Nate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dealing with Stun, End etc in Fantasty

This question comes up pretty often, and there aren't any easy answers. It's just a matter of you figuring out the feel you want, and then modeling it.

If you want to run something very D&Dish, then ditch STUN all together.

If you want to keep STUN, but have people get knocked out less often, have characters double their STUN. Or triple it.

If you want more lethal, limit access to heavy armor. Or just reduce the rDEF of armor, like make chain mail rPD 4/rED 4.

Me, I just don't get too wrapped up in the numbers. If a mook get hits by a big attack, he's done. Whether technically he's only knocked out and bleeding, or is actually dead, I dont' care. For game purposes, he's dead. Some people use a very simple method, that doens't look at the body and stun done at all. Mooks go down in 1 hit. Mid level badies go down in 2. Big Bady's Lt.s go down in 3. Big Bads go down in how ever many is appropriate.

Like I said, it's all about figuring out the feel you want, then simulating it.

As far as END, you can pretty safely ignore it for everyone except for spellcasters. And if you make a spell system that has an END Reserve or charges, you can ignore if for casters too.

If you want more help, just explain the feel you're looking for, and we'll be able to provide you more specific advice. Probably more than you'll want, actually... :sneaky:

Hmm... I really like the idea of just doubling or tripling everyone's stun totals. In a game where offenses and defenses are designed correctly, you should end up being low on stun and body at the same time... with normal attacks bringing proportionally more stun damage.... not terrible.

I'll have to look at exactly what average defenses will be like and average attacks, to work out exactly how to change stun values.

Cool :)

I was thinking of just using END for casters... I like that Hero has a way to burn Stun as END and then Body as END.... nice and dark and dramatic :)

As for not worrying about the numbers... it's the numbers that are half the fun, else why use a gaming system at all? :)

-Nate

The last FH game I ran was a mercenary campaign, and I wanted a gritty lethal feel. I used the following rules tweaks.

1. lowered the strength minimum on weapons, and in some instances upped the damage.

2. lowered the protection of all armor by 1 pt. also put social restrictions on armor, and kept anything heavier than chainmail from being purchased 'off the rack'.

3. doubled the body multiplier for all hit locations.

4. allowed hit location shifting by an amount equal the amount an attack roll was exceeded.

5. allowed critical hits (if the attack roll was made by 1/2, the attack does max effect) for called shots to a specific location only.

6. removed the teamwork roll needed to gang up on people.

7. no name NPCs (or minor named NPCs with no combat skills) that are reduced to 0 stun or body, are down and out/dead.

The net result was that fights were much shorter, and the difference of skill between experienced mercenaries and 'grunt' warriors was exagerated nicely.

I'm planning to run my first FH game and a few things worry me about using Hero for fantasy. The first is stun vs body damage. In hero' date=' 99% of the time, when someone goes down, they're unconscious. How do you make battle more lethal?[/quote']

I just want to say that this whole thread seems really weird to me, since the complaint I'm used to hearing is that FH is too lethal. I myself have lost several good characters to one lucky hit that kills them outright (using crits and hit locations).

I just want to say that this whole thread seems really weird to me' date=' since the complaint I'm used to hearing is that FH is [i']too[/i] lethal. I myself have lost several good characters to one lucky hit that kills them outright (using crits and hit locations).

Maybe my superhero experience and the FH book itself are misleading me... but if your rDef is 6 and you get hit by something that does 2 1/2 killing ... that's 9 body and 24 stun on average... 3 body and 18 stun get through... even someone with 10 body will take three of those and live, but how many heroic characters have more than 54 stun? not many.

It's worse for non-killing attacks. an 8d6 normal attack will do only 8 body on average (2 gets through), but 28 stun on average (22 gets through). it takes 5 hits to kill someone with 10 body, but by that point they'll have taken 110 Stun, enough to knock out even most 350 point supers!

I haven't used hit locations, so I don't know how those affect damage... maybe that's what I should be using to increase lethality.

It's not that I want people to be killed with fewer attacks... I just want the normal result of "attack until he drops" to be death not unconsciousness.

-Nate

I was using 2.66 as the average stun multiplier for killing attacks, and 3.5 as the average stun on 1d6 of normal attacks (and average body for 1d6 killing).

7d6 normal (I'm assuming you mean normal damage... that would be insane killing damage) damage is 24.5 stun and 7 body on average, subtract someone's 6PD, and you get 18 stun (rounding down) and 1 body. If he has 10 body, you'd have to do 180 stun to get up to 10 body to kill the guy.

I'll take a look at hit locations... do they only multiply body? That would help some.

How do the crit rules work?

-Nate

I was using 2.66 as the average stun multiplier for killing attacks, and 3.5 as the average stun on 1d6 of normal attacks (and average body for 1d6 killing).

7d6 normal (I'm assuming you mean normal damage... that would be insane killing damage) damage is 24.5 stun and 7 body on average, subtract someone's 6PD, and you get 18 stun (rounding down) and 1 body. If he has 10 body, you'd have to do 180 stun to get up to 10 body to kill the guy.

I'll take a look at hit locations... do they only multiply body? That would help some.

How do the crit rules work?

-Nate

I think you are forgetting the armor the target in your above example would be wearing. Your Mook has anywhere from 2-5 (or more) RDef on top of that 6 PD, so he's actually only taking (assuming 4 Def armor) 0 Body and 14 Stun. Assuming that was a heavily armored PC with 8 Def and 6 PD, they only ended up with 10 stun.

Yes, Hit Locations multiply Body (head is x2 after armor, and same for vitals, while hits to the body are x1 Body and x3 Stun). Crits are /deadly/ if you want to use them (I've never done so). If you roll the hit by less than half, you do max damage. Its got a big ol' stop sign on it for a reason! :)

For FH Killing Attacks, we use a 1d6/2 STUN Multiplier. We use the same thing for my Sci-Fi campaign, as well, and it works nicely. I understand the general desire to eliminate dealing STUN damage, but what really throws people off as they come over from d20 (or other HP driven systems) is that you aren't looking to deal BODY - you want to STUN your targets. It's a representation of bumps & bruises.

I'm very blessed that I have the kinds of PCs who will "act out" STUN damage. They recognize the difference between the two and know how to handle it.

Personally, I would like to install a penalty set per X amount of STUN Damage, but I also haven't felt the need, to be honest. If that makes sense.

The use of END depends on what you're doing - we certainly use it, and find it very good as an additional level of granularity. However, that's really a matter of our group.

Our Fantasy Hero Game always...

• Use the Hit Location Table for all Killing Attacks.
  • We always use the bleeding rules.
  • We generally add +1 DC to most weapons above what the Fantasy Hero write-up says.
  • We use a critical hit rule, a natural 3, or rolling 10 less than needed is a critical hit. It also means that a natural 18 is a fumble.

The other option that I would be partial to would be bumping up the BODY multiplier on the Hit Location Table by +0.5 to +1.0 for all locations.

Maybe my superhero experience and the FH book itself are misleading me... but if your rDef is 6 and you get hit by something that does 2 1/2 killing ... that's 9 body and 24 stun on average... 3 body and 18 stun get through... even someone with 10 body will take three of those and live' date=' but how many heroic characters have more than 54 stun? not many.[/quote']

But the character who has taken two of those hits can recover his STUN rapidly. He only has 4 BOD to deal with the next combat. It's important to remember that BOD healing is also restricted in Hero, unlike the D&D model where a character can easily lose triple his hp and get them cured in the course of a typical day.

Maybe my superhero experience and the FH book itself are misleading me... but if your rDef is 6 and you get hit by something that does 2 1/2 killing ... that's 9 body and 24 stun on average... 3 body and 18 stun get through... even someone with 10 body will take three of those and live' date=' but how many heroic characters have more than 54 stun? not many.[/quote']

The thing is, you're using average figures and pretty high rPD, and you're ignoring the wearer's non-rPD. About 1 in 100 of those 2.5d6K hits will roll max damage, which is impairing damage with the armor, and disabling without it. Suddenly STUN seems irrelevant. 1 in 100 is unlikely but you'll see it if you play a few sessions, and the probability increases sharply if crits and hit locations are used.

Hit Locations make FH much more lethal...perhaps too lethal depending on what tone you want.

If you use the injury and disabling rules it gets even more gritty.

However, if you are using generalized damage, Deadly Blow is a major way to make characters more lethal.

I go into the general concept of weapons and armor here:

Armaments Notes

Also, if you are trying to get a fix on how you are going to set up your campaign you might find this worksheet useful:

Campaign Worksheet

Here is an example "High Fantasy" set up:

High Fantasy

and here is an example "Sword & Sorcery Fantasy" set up, which is grittier:

Sword & Sorcery

I'm planning to run my first FH game and a few things worry me about using Hero for fantasy. The first is stun vs body damage. In hero' date=' 99% of the time, when someone goes down, they're unconscious. [/quote']

Actually in CHAMPIONS, that's true - not necessarily in hero system. You can design your FH game to work like that (cheap, easy to cast magic, lots of armour, allowing gear to stack) but you don't have to. In my game, about 60% of the time when someone goes down they're either horribly maimed or bleeding to death. In last weeks game: of the 5 NPCs in the fight, one fell unconcious with 1 BOD left, three went to serious negative BOD and bled to death, and the leader fell over at -3 BOD and was only saved for later questioning by prompt attention from the healer. 4 of the 7 players are seriously injured - one has precisely 0 BOD. And that from a fight with two pirates, two animated broomsticks and a low-powered illusionist. It's pretty typical. How lethal do you want?

Personally I don't want to be knocking PCs off every other week.

How do you make battle more lethal? The Fantasy Hero supplement gives several options' date=' but none seem very elegant. Best one seemed to be putting reduced penetration on the stun from weapons (so you split the stun in half and apply it to the target's armor twice). That would work, I think but it's a little clunky, and it doesn't help when you are fighting someone lightly armored. [/quote']

It'd also make fights really long when heavy armour was involved and make it even more useful to have heavy armour.

I'm considering getting rid of stun from most weapons and leaving it for some spells, specifically trying to subdue someone, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions that have worked well in their campaigns?

Yep. I don't ride caps on my players. If someone wants to be a bitchin' swordsman he can have a big sword, martial arts, CSLs and big bulgy muscles - and do 4d6 HKA. Of course, unless you give your players masses of XP, that's going to be his whole shtick. If he comes up against someone whose whole shtick is "light fighter, so fast they never hit me" he'll struggle, but he'll gut common foes, armoured or otherwise. The same applies to mage's spells. Mr Ubersword is going to have to think about dodging or dying when he faces an Ildarian fire sorceror.

Second, don't be too free and easy with armour. I've played in games where people wander city streets in armour and go out drinking in full plate with a two handed sword on their back. IMO, that's ..... wierd. If players spend some time out of their shells (and to be fair, so do their foes) you'll find the lethality rate goes, way, way up.

Use hit locations. Not all armour covers every location - in fact most doesn't. Even a dagger in the unarmoured face can do some nasty, nasty damage.

Third, don't give away freebies. In my game one of the limitations of "real" as in real weapon, real armour etc is that it does not stack with powers. So if you have combat luck, you can't drop plate armour on top for nigh-invulnerability. The wizard can't add his forcefield to that to get total invulverability. Likewise, he can't enchant a normal longsword by adding 1d6 HKA to an ordinary sword to get an uberkiller 2d6 +1 longsword.

In this same categorey, I'd add don't be too easy on magic. Defences are cheap and it's easy to build tankmages. I cannot express my loathing for the "divide real coast by 3 or 5 or whatever" kludge since it makes it almost trivial to build mages who are invulnerable to any normal weapons. Powerful magic is fine - as log as it's not easy to do it all the time. Easy magic is fine as long as it's not too powerful. Blend the two and disaster awaits.

Second - how do you deal with Endurance? I like endurance for spellcasters, but I'm not sure I like it for warriors and rogues and other people who are just running around. I mean, it's cool to have a mechanic to use to wear someone down by making them run around too much, but I'm just not sure it'll be worth all the bookkeeping.

Any thoughts on these and other topics for my first game would be very handy. For reference, I've played plenty of Champions games, so I'm pretty familiar with the rules, just haven't played Fantasy.

-Nate

I prefer to use END, but for the current group, most of whom were Hero n00bs, I did not initially use END - after explaining the concept and explaining that when they were more experienced we would add it - which I plan to do at the conclusion of this series of adventures.

One way to avoid much book-keeping is to require or encourage energy efficient characters who normally replenish the END they use - and then only track unusual expenditure - spells, pushing, combat feats, etc.

Last of all I deal with the "unconscious foe" problem by adding a dash of realism. A foe who has been knocked unconscious and wakes with low STUN, low END and a bleeding gash in some part of his body is probably not going to roll to his feet and charge back into the attack - he's going to play dead or crawl off somewhere to bind his wound. I've never had players going around giving the coup de grace - unless they were fighting fanatics who literally would not stop until they were dead. In that case, it was not only appropriate, but added a feeling of grimness that I wanted. To me that whole problem is simply a symptom of GM'ing like you were playing DnD - things are either dead or not dead: there's no such thing as "wounded".

cheers, Mark

Thanks for all the replies guys. I may try out hit locations after the first few adventures... I'll be playing with guys who are pretty new, so trying to get them used to the system before worrying about all the optional rules.

And Mark, you make a good point. Wounded opponents aren't a terrible thing, and with bleeding rules, unconscious and seriously wounded guys are going to die on their own anyway.

Killershrike - Thanks, I was already gobbling everything up from your site I could... it's really a fantastic (heh) resource, looks like you must have spent a hell of a lot of time on it.

-Nate

And Mark' date=' you make a good point. Wounded opponents aren't a terrible thing, and with bleeding rules, unconscious and seriously wounded guys are going to die on their own anyway.[/quote']

Remember also that without access to magic, healing BOD in hero takes quite a while. Most people don't have really high REC, so a seriously injured opponent might take a month or more to get up to full strength again. Even if they survive a fight, they tend to move into the status of possible later problem, rather than immediate threat.

cheers, Mark

The only thing I tripped over was the stacking rule; while I let regular (aka personal) PD stack with rPD for purposes of resisting STUN, I only have one PC who has both Armor & a FF; I may take MDs advice and have him pump the FF up to the level he wants and eliminate the stacking he currently enjoys. Probably a good idea overall, and one I was already playing with.

One of my PCs recently "lost" his Independent armor for a session & a half. He was nekkid under his clothes, and had all sorts of problems. After that, everyone wanted Combat Luck, which I rewrote based on another poster's ideas none too long ago.

Short version: Combat Luck, Armor 3/3, Only While Aware of Attack (-1/2), Does Not Stack (-1/2). Or -1/4, the final cost was 6, same as the book. Works very nicely.

The only thing I tripped over was the stacking rule; while I let regular (aka personal) PD stack with rPD for purposes of resisting STUN, I only have one PC who has both Armor & a FF; I may take MDs advice and have him pump the FF up to the level he wants and eliminate the stacking he currently enjoys. Probably a good idea overall, and one I was already playing with.

One of my PCs recently "lost" his Independent armor for a session & a half. He was nekkid under his clothes, and had all sorts of problems. After that, everyone wanted Combat Luck, which I rewrote based on another poster's ideas none too long ago.

Short version: Combat Luck, Armor 3/3, Only While Aware of Attack (-1/2), Does Not Stack (-1/2). Or -1/4, the final cost was 6, same as the book. Works very nicely.

I do let personal PD stack with armor - or with anything, actually. But I don't let armor stack with combat luck or with magic. It doesn't sound like much, but decent armour + combat luck can actually make a character all but immune to BOD from most normal weapons - and that's without any munchkinism. Add even a low powered FF and they can easily become totally immune.

cheers, Mark

I use several things to make my Heroic level games deadlier:

Hit Locations: This is the main one. A head hit or vitals does X2 body damage after subtracting armor, thus a mere 3 Body damage becomes 6 Body. Also with Hit Locations comes sectional armor. Most enemies (esp mooks/grunts/scrubbs) won't have 6rPD on all locations...they're probably only 6rPD on Chest, Shoulders, Stomach, Vitals and Thighs. Other locations are protected by 3 or 4 rPD at best, and possibley 0rPD depending on what kind of armor they're wearing. This gives the PC's (and enemies) the ability to target unarmored areas on their opponents bodies and put them down quickly.

Critical Hits: The official "optional rule" for crits in Hero works great...if you get less than half of what you needed to hit (for example, if your chance to hit was a 14 or less, a crit happens if you roll a 6 or less) then a critical success happens...which on an attack roll means you automatically get the maximum rollable result. Any attack of 2D6K or better has a good chance of killing or seriously injuring the opponent.

Coup de Grace: The Coup de Grace rules allow a PC to kill a helpless foe. In a Fantasy Hero game, I consider stunned yellow-shirts to be helpless. I allow the PC's to Coup de Grace stunned enemies of non-importance provided they are not hounded by further enemies. The same goes of unconscious enemies of course.

Penalty Skill Levels vs Targeting: Otherwise known as "Targeting Levels" PSL's vs Targeting penalties help the PC's overcome hefty hit location OCV penalties which allows them to regularly and reliably target and hit vital areas on their opponents. This makes fights short and deadly affairs. Let it be known that skilled enemies will also make use of PSL's vs Targeting penalties!

Martial Arts: Contrary to popular belief, formalized fighting systems fit quite nicely into a Fantasy Hero campaign, even one based on occidental mythological influences. High damage Martial Maneuvers, combined with a few skill levels shifted toward Damage can go a long way toward achieving a weapons maximum damage potential. You can turn that puny 1 1/2D6k Longsword into a 3D6+1K Weapon of Destruction with a decent STR, 4 skill levels and an Offensive Strike maneuver.

Here are my tricks - listed from most important to least.

BODY

• Bench warmers and minions get 7-8 BODY which is baseline for normals.
  • Mid-stringers get 9-10 BODY.
  • Lieutenants get 10-11 BODY.
  • First String NPCs total in at less than 15 total BODY which is something of a Characteristic Maxima for our table.

Altered Weapons & Armor

• STR Mins were lowered by 2-3 across the board.
  • Weapon DCs inched up a hair (generally one DC).
  • Resistant Piercing is incorporated into several stock weapons such as Warbows and Crossbows.
  • Plate mail isn't readily available. 6 rPD Chainmail is the most commonly available armor.
  • Most NPCs below Lieutantant rank wear - at most - a Leather Jac (+3 rPD areas 10-13).

Resistant Defenses

Magical DEF is of a low level variety or it is an instantaneous thing (i.e. Abort to Instant Force Wall). No Tank-Mages allowed.

Combat Luck and Armor can stack but may not exceed 8.99 *Whole Body DEF. This means you can have 2 levels of Combat Luck and some leather armor and a helmet, 1 level of Combat Luck and heavy armor, or any combination that does not raise your whole BODY DEF to 9 or greater.

*Whole Body DEF is the DEF of all 15 locations added together and then divided by 15. The number represents an average DEF rather than one specific location. This allows for 8 rPD helmet and Combat Luck to give you 11 rPD in the head while your hands and feet have 3 rPD armor and Combat Luck.

Optional Rules

Minion Rules: I don't have a set of codified rules for minions but I am not going to sweat over wondering if the grunt on the ground has +1, 0, -1, or worse BODY. If he is down, then in general, he is dying unless the players are trying not to kill.

The campaign uses Hit Locations, Bleeding Rules, Targeting Levels, Martial Arts, *Critical Hits, and Impairing/Disabling Rules.

*Grunts are not allowed to score critical hits on the players (rarely an issue).

Healing

Healing is a slow process even with magic. There isn't a D&D insta-health potion or cleric around the corner. This means that people end up fighting with wounds that haven't healed if they are in some hot and heavy action.

STUN

I have been toying with granting a one time bonus to STUN based on the BODY of the PC/Major NPC. This would be a one-for-one bonus - meaning that the players would get a 10-13 STUN Bonus.

My personal "Grunt Rules".

In general, Grunts have a maximum of 10 Body and 25 Stun. Most Grunts have 8 Body and 20 Stun. (this may change a bit depending on the nature of the Grunt)

Grunts have a maximum CV of 5, and it can never exceed this amount. Average Grunt CV is 3.

Grunts cannot have a resistant defense higher than 6. They don't have the budget for it.

Grunts cannot posses a SPD score higher than 3. The average Grunt is SPD 2.

Grunts cannot aim at a specific Hit Location. All Grunt-based attacks have randomized hit-location results.

Grunts cannot Push.

Grunts cannot use Martial Arts. They are limited to only the basic combat maneuvers out of the book. They do not posses the discipline necessary to learn Martial Arts (caveat; if the campaign centers on the Martial Arts, this will change, though Grunts in such a campaign will only posses 3 or so basic Martial Maneuvers)

Grunts cannot perform Critical Hits. In addition, Grunts fumble on a roll of 17 or 18, not just 18 as is the case for PC's and important NPC's.

Grunts do not use advanced tactics unless they have a non-Grunt leader to direct them. They are fairly single minded and usually only attack or defend. The one exception to this rule is that Grunts can and will make use of Multiple Attackers bonus if the Grunts involved are all a part of the same Unit.

Those are my Grunt Guidelines. As far as I'm concerned, they are there to make the PC's look hyper-competant. The average PC should be able to mow down a dozen Grunts without being in much danger of serious injury.

I use the standard FH hit locations and STUN/BOD modifiers. My players try to avoid being hit. Sometimes I fudge rolls if killing a PC off would wreck the scenario or story. It is rare that I kill a PC off with a lucky hit, I prefer to let them kill themselves off.