Roaming bases

Robyn

Low-tech solutions: the army (assume a medieval setting, with no magic) carries around sharpened stakes with them, and other varied implements; whereever they set up camp, they can analyze the terrain (whatever that may be) and devise a plan for using what they have, then rapidly unpack and assemble their components to establish a defensive perimeter.

This is their base, until it's time to pack up and be on the march again, but they're not tied to any particular area and if you utterly annihilate the physical landmass in an area where they've been, they won't particularly care; it doesn't prevent them from settling down in the area directly adjacent.

Does the difference between this, and a standard base, justify the cost difference between building it as a base and using other mechanics? If you wouldn't build it as a base, how would you replicate the effects?

Re: Roaming bases

I would just purchase it as a base and give it the "suburban" locale (it can't be erected underwater, underground, or in space; and presumably you wouldn't erect it in a city; but you would be able to erect it on the outskirts of town, in a rural district, or in the wilderness). In a fantasy or medeival context I would consider the fact that its mobile offset by the fact that you have to strike base and reassemble it, presumably a task that takes several people several hours. As a result, if its a structure that qualifies as a base (as opposed to something less permanent, like tents and camp spikes), I would tack on the "advantage" Mobile (X Hours To Assemble/Strike) +0.

The real question is: at what point does a campsite become a base? If its just tents and spikes, then I would be inclined to call it a skill versus skill and/or perception contest. Character A erects his booby traps using relevant skill, while character B attempts to detect and/or disarm said booby trap using perception and relevant skill. Even a minor earthwork wall, which takes backbreaking labor and time to produce, is probably not worth paying points for. On the other hand, a few wagons carrying a portable house with heavy wooden walls - or even the materials for a prefab wooden keep and palisade - might approach base quality.

In a heroic game I would be disinclined to charge for this, but in a game where equipment is paid for with point then the latter examples (the prefabs) might merit being purchased as a "base." On the other hand, if the base is roaming of its own accord, you might want to purchase a dinasour of some sort.

In a fantasy or medeival context I would consider the fact that its mobile offset by the fact that you have to strike base and reassemble it' date=' presumably a task that takes several people several hours.[/quote']

Yes.

The real question is: at what point does a campsite become a base?

Or any "place to stay", really; I've also been contemplating a group of Followers who are trained to adapt to their environment, whatever that may be, and can effectively "set up camp" after just a few hours to familiarize themselves with the nuances of an area.

If its just tents and spikes' date=' then I would be inclined to call it a skill versus skill and/or perception contest. Character A erects his booby traps using relevant skill, while character B attempts to detect and/or disarm said booby trap using perception and relevant skill.[/quote']

I was thinking of spikes mounted on boards (wooden slabs), angled outward and upward to break up cavalry charges. A few of those in the right places could buy a lot of time in case of surprise attacks.

Buy whereever the base normally resides, in the case of your armies tents, the ground. I'd be inclined to leave that at no extra cost, or wilderness as appropriate.

Buy a movement power, again with your example:

Ground Movement, Crew Served (the people moving all that tent equipment, etc, around).

Buy whatever other appropriate powers the base should have.

• 1 month later...