What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Jet Li versus Billy Chow in Fist of Legend. Also' date=' Jet Li versus Jackie Chan in [i']Forbidden Kingdom[/i]. Or, Jackie Chan versus Benny "the Jet" Urquidez in Wheels in Meals.

For pure technical ability and choreography the opening of the fight between Phillip Rhee and Simon Rhee in Best of the Best - which is still my favorite martial arts movie of all time.

Love Best of the Best.

What I like about it is that it turns most martial arts movies (especially American ones) on their ear. Martial arts are for defense - this is stated time after time in movies. Then the hero goes and kicks butt and has a victorious ending. In this one the main character held off on revenge.. lost the match, and won a huge personal victory.

What I like about it is that it turns most martial arts movies (especially American ones) on their ear. Martial arts are for defense - this is stated time after time in movies. Then the hero goes and kicks butt and has a victorious ending. In this one the main character held off on revenge.. lost the match' date=' and won a huge personal victory.[/quote']

Yep.

I watched Booth at the End on Hulu. It was obviously done as cheaply as possible (there's only one set), but it was still excellent. Most of the actors did very well, the writing was good.

I'm guessing the 'deal maker' is doing this to get what he wants, but I have no idea what that is.

Booth at the End is a triumph of writing over budgetary considerations. Very clever, and it really holds your attention despite the limitations imposed by the set-up.

The remake of "Fright Night". I enjoyed it for the most part' date=' though I would say there's a few things that could have been tightened on the script.[/quote']

I was surprised how much I liked that movie. I only went because the reviews were good, as I didn't expect much when I heard that they were doing a remake. Tennant was really funny, and there was only one very brief moment where he seemed to be channeling Dr. Who. I hope he gets more roles in American flicks. I was also pleased with Colin Farrel's performance, and I usually hate him. The last thing I saw that I liked him in was In Bruges.

Disc 1 of "The Starlost" from Netflix. It's a low budget Canadian Sci-Fi show that was syndicated here in the States back in 1973. The show is set on a generation ship that's off course, with no one still trained on how to repair. The three leads (Keir Dullea and two others I don't recognize) must travel around looking for someone who can provide information or skills to repair the ship. It's not bad, about on par with other '70s low budget sci fi.

There are some tantalizing things for turning it into a game setting, and it does remind me of Metamorphosis Alpha, but without the mutations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starlost

JoeG

Starlost was kind of cool for what it was, if quite dated. Still, I enjoyed a great sense of nostalgia when looking at the way they handled the effects and costuming. Sometimes I miss models filmed on blue screen and little miniature cities.

Well, before Irene took out my internet connection I was watching Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes on youtube. It's actually pretty good although the voice acting for Thor and Iron Man leave me a bit cold. I've always felt both should have deeper voices. Also I wish they weren't portraying Iron Man as such a self involved jerk who never seems to think anything through.

Hitlers Secret Science.

Why was Wernher von Braun, who invented the V-2, working for NASA and putting a man on the moon? :think:

As L Marcus already said, because he was the greatest living expert on rocketry.

AND because the USA's own efforts in that direction kept exploding on the launch pad.

Fair enough, however what concerns me is:

- He is a Nazi Secret Scientist

- as inventor of weapons like V-2 which did terrible carnage; are we supposed to forgive him for this? Thinking more the British who took the brunt. And also, I'm sure that weapons he devised killed US servicemen, and I wonder how those families feel about him going from enemy to friend?

Fair enough, however what concerns me is:

- He is a Nazi Secret Scientist

- as inventor of weapons like V-2 which did terrible carnage; are we supposed to forgive him for this? Thinking more the British who took the brunt. And also, I'm sure that weapons he devised killed US servicemen, and I wonder how those families feel about him going from enemy to friend?

The V-Weapons were interesting and innovative but comparatively trivial as an actual source of casualties.

If we(the US) had allied with the Soviets to defeat the Kings of Edom during WW2, we'd have Vulshoth on secret retainer to help us develop all this "qliphothic tech" to counter the Commies. And they'd have Deizzorath in a lab somewhere in Siberia, churning out suitably horrifying "weapons of mass insanity". Try googling "A Colder War" some time to get a notion of this. ;)

You could say the same things about Nobel, Colt, and any number of people who devised new weapons.