What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Bizzarre Dinosaurs' date=' [i']Dinosaurs Decoded[/i], and Prehistoric Predators (hyaenadon and entelodont episodes) on the National Geographic Channel.

Great dream-fuel for me, possible nightmare fuel for others.

I love the one about hyaenadon! I always wondered what they looked like (had this vague image of a gigantic hyena). I'll have to catch that one.

But now I want to see someone shoot a movie about re-created hyaenadons in modern times. Just iamgine what it would be like to be walking down a country road and that comes charging out of the bushes at you!

Let the Right One In

Interesting take on a vampire tale

Ooo ooo. I keep forgetting that thats available on my cable service.

*makes note to self*

Must watch it before they take it off.

I take it the movie is a decent antidote to sparkly vampires?

Ooo ooo. I keep forgetting that thats available on my cable service.

*makes note to self*

Must watch it before they take it off.

I take it the movie is a decent antidote to sparkly vampires?

Extremely so.

I've been rewatching my DVD collection of the first (and only) season of The Flash live-action series.

I've also been looking at Classic Cinema Online - in the " Special Features" section I found both The Deadly Mantis and X The Unknown (which was the first full-length movie written by Jimmy Sangster).

I enjoyed both,despite the frequently poor image quality provided by Google Video,but (as I suspected) X The Unknown was the better movie.

A blob movie with a difference (in that the title creature comes from the centre of the earth instead of outer space) X The Unknown was Hammer's homage to The Blob,and was a movie I always wanted to watch.It lived up to my expectations.

Clone Wars the CGI movie - to which my only comment is, why is it a movie? There's nothing about it that actually looks like a movie.

The first episode of the series of the CGI Clone Wars based on the CGI movie.

What is the point of Battle Droids?

Why is everyone so stupid? For a war, it has to be the most pathetically carried out war in the history of warfare - are their generals all part of an equal opportunities for morons promotion?

A Tale Of Two Sisters - Korean horror flick (I believe the US movie The Uninvited took inspiration from this). Really slow opening and build. But it picks up the pace at the end, and then goes full throttle into the climax. My wife and I aren't actually sure how to interpret the ending, it's... out there. Top notch psychological thriller.

At the start, we see a girl in a hospital, and coming home with her quiet sister. Their mother has passed and the step mother (who was either their mothers nurse or fathers assistant, I'm not quite sure which) is living with them. The main sister has an antagonistic relationship with the step-mom. The dad is pretty quiet through out the begining.

And that's all I can say before spoilers kick in. It's a good thriller in the style of Hitchcock, worth checking out.

Mars Needs Women

Review (actually just a listing of the highlights that made this movie a bit of comical fun despite it's attempts at serious science fiction):

1. Martians, with the whole world to choose from for prime breeding stock landing in Houston, Texas! (Apparently Mars likes its women pneumatic with a LOT of hairspray)
  2. Five minutes of non-stop action jam-packed into a ninety-minute film!
  3. Women with big hair and big breasts! (And hips! Don't forget big, child-bearing hips!)
  4. Martians wearing wetsuits with headphones & antennae attached.
  5. Casual mockery of sexual equality!
  6. Martians (and everyone else sporting a Y chromosome) wearing dark pants, white shirts, narrow, and (possibly) black ties! (It was a B&W picture, after all.)
  7. Movie-style hypnosis that allows the Martians to dispense with expensive SFX and just talk people into doing their bidding!
  8. A stripper! (With really, REALLY big hair!)
  9. Yvonne Craig as the female scientist specializing in Space Genetics (no, I am not kidding!) that no-one takes seriously, even though the government paid big bucks to fly her into Houston!
  10. Tommy Kirk!

I give it three out of five sexually-deprived male martians.

This week we saw Up in 3D (good light-hearted comedy). No surprises, but very pretty.

Then we saw Inglourious Basterds (Evil, black-hearted comedy). Full of surprises - which is why I like Tarantino films. Even Kath, who doesn't much care for gore, laughed and laughed (somewhat guiltily).

cheers, Mark

Gabriel Over the Whitehouse (1933)

Synopsis: Newly-elected President "Judd" Hammond is just another cog in the party machine, and has no intention of addressing the problems facing the U.S. during the worst part of the depression. After he's injured in an automobile accident, the President shows a complete change in personality and starts "taking charge" in a dictatorial fashion. Released at a time when modern dictatorships hadn't yet fallen into disrepute, the movie was quite successful for a time (according to TCM host Robert Osborne), but quickly became a "stay away" movie as events in Europe started casting dictatorship in a bad light.

To audience sanity or the late Tezuka's reputation?

I thought it was an okay movie. The one or two things I had thoughts about depended on the surface situation which we don't really get to see beyond the Scrap Heap. The President of the Floating City also raised a lot of questions that the story didn't really get into beyond the fact he wanted a bigger gun, he was up for reelection and he wanted to start a war with the surface to get reelected.

These two things are kind of glossed over as Astro starts trying to get some friends, and then fighting for the city.

CES

Watched Astro Boy with the boy. Robot built to replace dead son becomes a hero. Lots of collateral damage going on in this movie.

CES

I saw that recently too. It was okay, with shades of Battle Angel Alita - but still not as good as the original TV series.

Mayhem of the Music Meister! the Batman Brave and the Bold episode.

Awesome.!!!! Music Meister played by Neal Patrick Harris hypnotieses everyone into being a part of his criminal Musical master piece that included dancing supervillians, a musical Deathtrap and just fun in general....

Haunted Hollywood, pretty average documentary on History Channel on haunted places in Holly wood.