What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

You know' date=' I've heard of this film over and over as Spielberg's great flop, but I'd never before heard what it was [b']about?[/b]

Pretty much what I said. The film has a huge cast of recognizable names, with most everyone playing an inept or incompetent (including the Japanese and Germans). Highlights include Christopher Lee as a German officer, Toshiro Mifune as a Japanese sub commander, John Belushi as Captain "Wild" Bill Kelso, Dan Ackroyd as a tank commander, John Candy, and a host of others.

While people say the film takes a tragedy (Pearl Harbor) and makes light of it, a number of the events they show really did happen in some fashion or the other -- including placing an AA gun in someone's front yard, firing into the night sky at phantom planes, the Japanese shelling California, and so on. There's a dance contest, a riot, air-to-air combat, a sub versus a tank, and assorted nonsense.

Pretty much what I said. The film has a huge cast of recognizable names, with most everyone playing an inept or incompetent (including the Japanese and Germans). Highlights include Christopher Lee as a German officer, Toshiro Mifune as a Japanese sub commander, John Belushi as Captain "Wild" Bill Kelso, Dan Ackroyd as a tank commander, John Candy, and a host of others.

While people say the film takes a tragedy (Pearl Harbor) and makes light of it, a number of the events they show really did happen in some fashion or the other -- including placing an AA gun in someone's front yard, firing into the night sky at phantom planes, the Japanese shelling California, and so on. There's a dance contest, a riot, air-to-air combat, a sub versus a tank, and assorted nonsense.

". . . Trapped like beavers!"

Tales of the Black Freighter and Under The Hood on DVD. Black Freighter was inspired. The animation was top notch and done in a very appropriate style. Under The Hood was interesting, and makes a nice companion piece to the film.

I would like to see how the film would play with the Black Freighter material included. I had always loved how the pirate narrative paralleled the plot of the graphic novel while providing a subtext of dread without interfering with the more "straightforward" proceedings of the primary storyline. However, I can see why the animated material was not included in the film's theatrical release. It would have added another thirty minutes or so to the running time of a film that already clocks in at almost three hours.

Under the Hood had some excellent work from actors who didn't get a lot of screen time in the film. Matt Frewer and Carla Gugino were standouts. I get the impression that the director just let the actors get into character and ad-lib their responses to the fictional interviewer's questions. It's a great approach. The 60 Minutes style news show they use as a setup for the featurette is an inspired choice. You also might get a kick out of some of the 80s style commercials they inserted, including one for a fictional product right out of the book.

Watching this short film, you get a true impression of the amount of background work the the cast and crew put into the film. They show a lot of handheld camera footage taken on the film's sets, as well as quite a few black and white production stills. This film short is a really nice artifact for Watchmen fans, though even in an extended cut, I think it should remain as an extra and not be integrated into the film. It would slow everything down too much. Moore was correct in placing this type of material between chapters so that readers could either skip totally it to get to the or the meat of the story or savor it between courses, based on their own inclinations.

I can't wait for the extended special edition DVD with multiple viewing options, and I didn't necessarily love everything about the film. It would be more like a great Easter egg hunt.

Izo -- a Takashi Miike film that might be the weirdest thing I have ever seen. No, wait, The Naked Lunch film was stranger, but this one sure was a doozy. Don't ask me to explain it... other than it uses the historical character of Izo Okada to present a horror-fantasy of the afterlife and the restless soul who wanders it.

Now there's a depressing movie. Made me want to stick my head in an oven.

Like any Australian film not starring Paul Hogan.

Actually I find most movies starring Paul Hogan make me want to stick me head in an oven :)

And Gallipoli is a brilliant film - hard to believe it's coming up on 30 years old. Hasn't really dated at all except for the Jean Michel Jarre music.

Kung Fu Hustle -- Stephen Chow's fantastic homage to classic Chinese martial arts films.

Per IMDB, Kung Fu Hustle 2 is due out in 2010.

THAT was a great movie. I was actually amazed the theater was full up when we went.

And reminds me I need to get my regionless DVD player hooked back up. All my Stephen Chow movies are Chinese imports.

Wonder Woman Animated Movie - Excellent, really enjoyed the story, good animation and voice work.

I have been DVRing and watching Discovery Channel's Planet Earth. Its a nice series with excellent cinematography, and for the most part the narration is good, the only thing that annoys me is that the unprecedented narration provides a majestic use of superlatives to describe everything. Also I think I have seen all of the video clips they have used in their 5 year journey and now they are just resplicing them together in a different order.

Kung Fu Hustle -- Stephen Chow's fantastic homage to classic Chinese martial arts films.

Per IMDB, Kung Fu Hustle 2 is due out in 2010.

THAT was a great movie. I was actually amazed the theater was full up when we went.

Yep. I saw it in the theatre too, and when I came out I thought, "You know that was just a perfectly made movie". Everything clicked, all the way through.

cheers, Mark

susano you tipped me off about the luche libre double feature dvd so now's my chance to return the favor by tipping YOU off about one called ATOMIC BLUE ,MEXICAN WRESTLER io just got back home with it a few miniutes ago so i haven't watched it yet but according to the synopsis a down on his luck luchadore tryie to redeem himself by aiding a familywhose eldest son was murdered and is in danger of losing thier home to a developer