Discourse on Fantasy Hero

shentino

Re: Discourse on Fantasy Hero

To further derail, I saw a blurb last night for Conan the Barbarian that went like:

"Conan, an Ex-Pitfighter recovers his father's sword from a Snake King with the help of a wizard, a Mongol and a queen."

Keith "Wrong on so many levels" Curtis

Von D-Man's avuncular advise for Conan Screenwriters:

When in doubt, play the Anvil of Crom and keep your mouths freaking shut.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no respect left for Conan since he became governor of California...

On the meta-features of fantasy, and the ease or difficulty of using FH over Champions...

I find, as I said in an earlier post, that Fantasy Hero does the expectations of DnD better and easier than DnD does them.

I also find FH a lot less cluttered than Champions, and I personally feel the Hero system no longer scales well to super heroes, but scales perfectly to Heroic level - Fantasy Hero, Dark Champions, and so on...

There are less variables to track, and the scale of the numbers is smaller - which helps lower complexity. Further there is greater similarity among characters in vital stats like speed, which goes very far towards speeding play.

What Mardok and Killer stated,

I with out thinking to much just used the system and found that running any Grene works.

here in El Paso Tx the gamemasters have just used the rules as is (frameworks at times or not) and have not found powers or magic unblancing.

this if from half a dozen campain since 1982,

in the D&D if a charter is fireballed to death or a growth spell is cast and one is smashed people seem to except that but some people can not accept the same from HERO.

Lord Ghee

DnD has had instant 'ok, you're level 3,274 and you worked it all up fairly in 1E and now you need to roll 19+ on a d20 or lose all that in one die roll' since day one...

That's just the way DnD works.

Module S1, if I recall right, has several 'cannot be raised from this' instant traps in it.

DnD players accept that paradigm. Best DnD game I played in had on average 2 PC deaths per session - most of them attributable to the same unlucky player, he only shook that loose when he made a half-orc (a race he didn't like) barbarian (a class he didn't like), with a name and equipment he also didn't like... Half-orcs in that group had never before survived their first encounter, no matter what level they were made at. So naturally, this one survived to the end of that campaign...

But...

Hero has no 'wham bam, roll one die to end it all' - everything in Hero gets 'litigated' - once you sit down to Hero you switch your assumptions and presume that if you're going to lose our character, the GM is going to have to show all the work and prove it 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. :)

That's just the paradigm of Hero.

Heroic Level hero can be a little different. You can get a one shot kill. But it's not assumed that it will happen with regularity, and when it does you can usually see why and how and accept it because the numbers behind it are all there and can be looked at and understood...

Which, for me, actually helps Fantasy Hero over DnD... But it can for some DnD players take away the thrill of 'random character for the evening #32'.

None of the magic systems that have been hacked together to fit into HERO system rules work very well, and I have tried about 3. and read virtually all of them.

Magic is either so hobbled that no one wants it, or it is so powerful that it borders on unbalancing.

Rules that were designed to mimic superheroic combat do not translate well to sword and sorcery, unless you tweak them, and tweak them, and tweak them.

Like many others who have already posted - my experiences differ VASTLY from yours.

I started Hero in a Fantasy game. The magic system was a very simple Multipower Pool with Requires Skill Roll on all the powers. It was not unbalacing at all.

Hero, for me, is first and foremost a Heroic System, Superheroic an afterthought. It mimics the combat of S&S just fine for me. No tweaking needed.