How do you use Surbrook's Stuff?

Susano

A lot of people have told me they like the "Surbrook's Stuff" website. So I ask, "Do you use "Surbrook's Stuff" and if so, what parts?" Also, what parts do you like best, and what parts do you think need improvement? What do you want to see more of? And finally, just because it says "Surbrook's Stuff" doesn't mean you can't be part of it. I take submissions of all kinds, and since I have HERO Designer 3 now, I can take .hdc files (no exporting needed!).

Thanks for your time.

Woot! Post 5,300!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How do you use Surbrook's Stuff?

I'll sometimes dig through the character archive just for entertainment value, and I've used the characters their as inspirations for my own or as throw away villians. If I do a lost world session I've been planning, I'll be using the Skull Island write ups. I also occasionally look around in the Pics that could be Supers section; nothing like a good photo to liven up an NPC or game session.

Primarily, I use the character archive. I don't generally use the character write-ups per se, but I find the character's provide good benchmarks for certain genres, or contain useful ideas for how to build powers, or give some clues on how to adapt fictional heroes. I also like several of the same genres you do, so its cool to see write-ups for character's I like (such as REH, various hong-kong-fu characters, etc). I especially like it when more than one version of a character is presented (such as the higher and lower powered Solomon Kane), but that's probably tedious for you to do. I generally like this because I run a slightly gritter style game while you clearly run a more cinematic game. The same thing could be accomplished with a small blurb about adapting the character to various styles of play in the design notes as opposed to a second character write-up.

I liked some of your ideas about western martial arts, and really appreciated the creature write-ups from REH's Conan stories. The one thing that would be really useful would be to provide more set-dressing and setting material. For instance, how would you run magic for REH (incidentally, I found a reference to Thulsa Doom in one of the original stories - not a pastiche) - or more general ideas of adapting various genres (benchmarks, etc). On the other hand, in my opinion, the real strength of your site is in the adaptations.

I got a kick out of your european enemies rehash; and chuckled at some of the humor, but that's not really why I go to your site.

Primarily' date=' I use the character archive. I don't generally use the character write-ups per se, but I find the character's provide good benchmarks for certain genres, or contain useful ideas for how to build powers, or give some clues on how to adapt fictional heroes. I also like several of the same genres you do, so its cool to see write-ups for character's I like (such as REH, various hong-kong-fu characters, etc). I especially like it when more than one version of a character is presented (such as the higher and lower powered Solomon Kane), but that's probably tedious for you to do. I generally like this because I run a slightly gritter style game while you clearly run a more cinematic game. The same thing could be accomplished with a small blurb about adapting the character to various styles of play in the design notes as opposed to a second character write-up.[/quote']

I didn't do both version of Kane. The other Kane was sent to me. I'd like to see various version of the same character as well, which is why I'm starting to aggressively ask people for hdc files and the like. But getting a "yeah, I'll send the file" and getting the file are two different things.

I liked some of your ideas about western martial arts, and really appreciated the creature write-ups from REH's Conan stories. The one thing that would be really useful would be to provide more set-dressing and setting material. For instance, how would you run magic for REH (incidentally, I found a reference to Thulsa Doom in one of the original stories - not a pastiche) - or more general ideas of adapting various genres (benchmarks, etc). On the other hand, in my opinion, the real strength of your site is in the adaptations.

I got a kick out of your european enemies rehash; and chuckled at some of the humor, but that's not really why I go to your site.

Personally, I like the World Books you have, and I'd love to see more added to this, if there are additional notes or characters available. I also like the write-ups for effects like Fu schticks, and the character archive is also fun to peruse.

I'm a major anime fan, so anything to do with that is great enjoyment for me to read, and while there's a lot in the archives already, there's always room for more. :D

Personally, I like the World Books you have, and I'd love to see more added to this, if there are additional notes or characters available. I also like the write-ups for effects like Fu schticks, and the character archive is also fun to peruse.

I'm a major anime fan, so anything to do with that is great enjoyment for me to read, and while there's a lot in the archives already, there's always room for more. :D

I just added a new "World Book" for a Star Hero game called "Terracide."

I am also willing to host such things. Several of the world books are for local games, run by people other than me.

I like the idea of the worldbooks, and from looking at them they look well done, but I don't go to that section much because its very manga/anime heavy and I'm not huge on those genres. If there were other (heroic) genre adaptations included in the worldbook section I would probably go there more.

I like the idea of the worldbooks' date=' and from looking at them they look well done, but I don't go to that section much because its very manga/anime heavy and I'm not huge on those genres. If there were other (heroic) genre adaptations included in the worldbook section I would probably go there more.[/quote']

Hmm... right now the only other thing I think is going to be added there is stuff on my possible supers setting.

However, it might be time for me to dust and and re-post my fragments of notes for my Knowne World fantasy setting and my Cynosure Station Star Hero setting.

I use some of the worldbooks and character's that you have. I use a version of Rally Vincent as an NPC in my Dark Champions campaign, the write-up is based on your version. I have also experimented with the Hellsing stuff and several other assorted character write-ups for various games. I am a big anime fan so many of those sources are things I look for on your site.

Hmm... right now the only other thing I think is going to be added there is stuff on my possible supers setting.

However, it might be time for me to dust and and re-post my fragments of notes for my Knowne World fantasy setting and my Cynosure Station Star Hero setting.

Cynosure Station?

I've thougt about doing a Cynosure based hero campaign for, oh, 20 years or so.

As to the original question... I haven't realy played in quite a while... I'm slowly recruiting a group of players, but finding common time is hard (most of the gamers I know are already totally committed, and the non gamers tend to be working ther butts off trying to afford living around here). I derive the most enjoment and probably eventual use from your Cnematic and literary adaptations, and keep thinking about trying to do a few write ups and submit them for you, just to keep my C building skills sharp. Richard B. Riddick, Cuchulainn, Grimjack and a few others lurking in my head somewere waiting to get out.

Cynosure Station?

I've thougt about doing a Cynosure based hero campaign for, oh, 20 years or so.

Cynosure Station is a Star Hero game set around something similar to Deep Space Nine. The name "Cynosure" was taken from Grimjack, especially after I learned the definition of "cynosure."

As to the original question... I haven't realy played in quite a while... I'm slowly recruiting a group of players, but finding common time is hard (most of the gamers I know are already totally committed, and the non gamers tend to be working ther butts off trying to afford living around here). I derive the most enjoment and probably eventual use from your Cnematic and literary adaptations, and keep thinking about trying to do a few write ups and submit them for you, just to keep my C building skills sharp. Richard B. Riddick, Cuchulainn, Grimjack and a few others lurking in my head somewere waiting to get out.

Grimjack is due to be heavily revised once I have collected enough volumes of the collected trade. Volume 7 is due in November (IIRC).

Well, for one, some of the character write-ups have been intsrumental in my Ninja Hero campaign. Namely, Street Fighter and Sailor Moon. With some modifications, the Doom stuff is also going to come in handy.:thumbup:

As for my Champions campaign, I'm finding that I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from "Pictures That Could Be Superheroes." The Gepanzerter photos have been applied, and now Edge City's finest are all decked out like Nazi Stormtroopers. But then again, so is the party's team leader, so :shrug:.

I was already going to stat up a VF-1J inspired Mecha :cool:(finished stats if you want them, Susano), for the US Navy, so the pic goes great. Killzone:love: is also soon to make an appearance, but I still have to finalise some stats.

Oh, and I just couldn't resist including an LV-426 lifeform in the opening adventure (modified version of Palladium's "Planetfall" scenario). Perhaps I should have resisted, but I still contend that a character that attacks a creature with a 4d6 HKA and doesn't have or activate resistant defenses is asking to be disolved into a puddle by a massive spray of molecular acid.:whistle:

Well, for one, some of the character write-ups have been intsrumental in my Ninja Hero campaign. Namely, Street Fighter and Sailor Moon. With some modifications, the Doom stuff is also going to come in handy.:thumbup:

As for my Champions campaign, I'm finding that I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from "Pictures That Could Be Superheroes." The Gepanzerter photos have been applied, and now Edge City's finest are all decked out like Nazi Stormtroopers. But then again, so is the party's team leader, so :shrug:.

I was already going to stat up a VF-1J inspired Mecha :cool:(finished stats if you want them, Susano), for the US Navy, so the pic goes great. Killzone:love: is also soon to make an appearance, but I still have to finalise some stats.

Oh, and I just couldn't resist including an LV-426 lifeform in the opening adventure (modified version of Palladium's "Planetfall" scenario). Perhaps I should have resisted, but I still contend that a character that attacks a creature with a 4d6 HKA and doesn't have or activate resistant defenses is asking to be disolved into a puddle by a massive spray of molecular acid.:whistle:

Sure! Send away!

When I was running my UNITY 2010 supers campaign, I frequently raided the site for characters to steal. When I needed a tough, fast martial artist chick, I stole Chun Li, for example.

It'd be really sweet if you included HeroDesigner files for all the writeups, just because I'm a tweaker and I always wanted to change something before I used the character... :thumbup:

Its certainly a cool and useful site. I plan on swiping the Skull Island info wholesale and tranposing it to a fantasy setting. I've always wanted to run a few scenarios on an island full of carnivorous beasties. I have copied several of the mythological critter write-ups into my own beastiary (tazelwurm, lindworm, and a few others). My preferences run towards fantasy, but I have seen other things with lots of potential. The high powered characters aren't a lot of help to me as I prefer running things on the low end, but that isn't anything a little work on my end can't take care of if needed. Mostly, I just look for background info, motivation, and personality of the characters rather than the actual power level - and that you do pretty well.:thumbup:

I have used it as others have mentioned as both inspiration and to see how builds of popular characters have been made to get an idea of proportions.

If anything could be added, I would like to see the HD files for all the writeups. Of course those could be added to the HeroDesigner Vault instead. Either way it would be nice to have some of your builds on hand as a starting point or as a prefab to add abilities to other characters that might have similar powers and the like.

When I was running my UNITY 2010 supers campaign, I frequently raided the site for characters to steal. When I needed a tough, fast martial artist chick, I stole Chun Li, for example.

It'd be really sweet if you included HeroDesigner files for all the writeups, just because I'm a tweaker and I always wanted to change something before I used the character... :thumbup:

Well... I have HeroDesigner now. So I can make a page for HD file. Hmm... has anyone entered any of my stuff into HD? If you have and could send me the files, that would be great!