New Bujold Novel

Curufea

Re: New Bujold Novel

This is possibly the first fantasy novel that is part of a series' date=' I've actually seen that mentions it is "volume one".[/quote']

Huh - I've seen plenty. The new Holdstock series had "First volume of the Merlin Codex" printed in largish type on the cover of the first volume (Celtika), for example, and that wasn't the first time I've seen similar statements.

cheers, Mark

This is possibly the first fantasy novel that is part of a series' date=' I've actually seen that mentions it is "volume one".[/quote']

Believe that this is currently planned as a two book series, and I believe she has also said this is the first time she had a contract for more than a single book.

Bujold is in my category "Genius Writers" for her milscifi Vorkorsigan series' date=' but I really didn't ken to her previous fantasy tries. [/quote']

Generally, I like her SF better than her Fantasy, but Paladin of Souls is certanly one of her best (her 5th Hugo award winning novel, more than any other living writer). So I am egerly awaiting this one.

And, like weak Heinlein, weak Bujold is better than 80% of what's available.

Cordelia's Honor was the best romance novel I've ever read. That's not a slam. I really enjoyed the read. I'm not really into Bujold's work - for some reason I couldn't get into her Miles books - but she's a solid writer, and clearly has a lot of talent. On the other hand, as popular as he is, I dislike most of Heinlein's work. Its too preachy, and some of the themes are overly repetitive. He wrote a few novels I liked, but most of then left me cold.

Believe that this is currently planned as a tow book series, and I believe she has also said this is the first time she had a contract for more than a single book.

Generally, I like her SF better than her Fantasy, but Paladin of Souls is certanly one of her best (her 5th Hugo award winning novel, more than any other living writer). So I am egerly awaiting this one.

I love her SF stuff, and like most of her fantasy stuff - oddly enough it is Paladin of Souls that I like the least of her books. It was too Deus Ex for me.

I love her SF stuff' date=' and like most of her fantasy stuff - oddly enough it is Paladin of Souls that I like the least of her books. It was too Deus Ex for me.[/quote']

I always felt that The Spirit Ring and Falling Free were her weakest books. And if you've heard her talk about them, the were books she needed to write.

Next book will be Part 2 of The Sharing Knife, and the book after that will be Vorkosegan. Last i heard she had two words written on that one, "For Jim."

(BTW, through the first 9 chapters, TSK is, IMHO, her second best fantasy. It's no Paladin, but is holding my interest better than Hallowed Hunt did.)

I must thank Jim sometime :)

Spirit Ring and Falling Free were her first books - in general first books are usually the poorest written ones.

Actually Shard of Honor was her first book. Falling Free was her fourth, and won a Nebula award, reenforcing what I said about weak Bujold being better than most of what's available. Spirit Ring was eighth novel, or ninth book if you count Border of Infinity.