Predators: who else found the 'Easter Egg'?

Gadodel

Re: Predators: who else found the 'Easter Egg'?

What is the Easter Egg in Dark Champions?

A disguised grenade, of course.

This is Dark Champions, after all. :eg:

Seriously, what is meant by an Easter Egg in a book? I understand the term in relation to computer games, where something can be hidden unless a peculiar series of actions is taken. I do not see how such is even possible in a book.

Could someone enlighten me, please?

\Seriously, what is meant by an Easter Egg in a book? I understand the term in relation to computer games, where something can be hidden unless a peculiar series of actions is taken. I do not see how such is even possible in a book.

The idea is similar. In a movie or TV show, an "Easter Egg" is a visual homage to some other pop culture icon. Often these are hidden in plain sight.

Example: In Watto's junkyard in The Phantom Menace, you might spot a derelict in the background that is, in fact, one of the EVA pods from 2001. But only if you're looking carefully at just the right shot.

In a book, I would suppose that such a thing would appear mainly in illustrations.

Seriously, what is meant by an Easter Egg in a book? I understand the term in relation to computer games, where something can be hidden unless a peculiar series of actions is taken. I do not see how such is even possible in a book.

It is a disguised riddle. A puzzle that you have to find before you can even try to solve it. Example: In "The Alchemy of Love" which is about the kidnapping of a successful writer by Penny Dreadful, the kidnapped writers name is an anagram of someone who wrote for Hero.

In one book I read about a cartography expert named Curtis Keith.... (I think)

It is a disguised riddle. A puzzle that you have to find before you can even try to solve it. Example: In "The Alchemy of Love" which is about the kidnapping of a successful writer by Penny Dreadful, the kidnapped writers name is an anagram of someone who wrote for Hero.

Are those "Easter Eggs", or are they part of the "donate money to get your name in the book" project? I suppose, from a reader's point of view, it doesn't make much difference, though.

I've done a few.

In one of the Viper books, a tech is sitting at a big computer screen. The names used are friends of mine. In Dark Champions, one of the heroes is sspended outside a window, tapping a mob guy's computer. The names on the screen are all anagrams of Hero employees. I have worked the names of most of my close friends, family members and pets into various maps (Star names, lake names, stadium names, etc.). The street names in Millenium City are primarily Hero Artists. (This one was Steve's idea). The adventuring party facing the lich from FH is our own group. In fact the GM was so tickled by that one, he even arranged to have that scene happen in the game.

Keith "Peter Cottontail" Curtis

Perhaps you're thinking of Curtis Keiths, from Hudson City: The Urban Abyss, who's described as "Trained primarily as a draftsman, Keiths has built a name for himself as an artist by rendering exquisite, artistically-drawn maps of peoples' homes, hometowns, favorite parks, or even fantastic locations from books."

:winkgrin:

Perhaps you're thinking of Curtis Keiths' date=' from [i']Hudson City: The Urban Abyss[/i], who's described as "Trained primarily as a draftsman, Keiths has built a name for himself as an artist by rendering exquisite, artistically-drawn maps of peoples' homes, hometowns, favorite parks, or even fantastic locations from books.":

He's a hack.