Racial Package Deal

Guest lucky

Guest lucky

Any constructive input is appreciated.

I'm designing a near-future campaign and positing a new species of human: a evolutionary hiccup allows members of this "sub-species" to more easily communicate with computers via neuroprostheses and direct neural interfaces. Anyone can get these implants -- which essentially allow one to communicate with machines at the speed of thought -- but only members of this particular species can use them to their full effectiveness.

An examples would be powered armour: the reason that powerful exoskeletons aren't widespread is that fewer than 1% of the population has the necessary neural flexibility to properly interface with something as complicated as an Iron Man-style suit.

Is this worth generating a Package Deal for? If so, how would I model this ability? A small Telepathy or Mind Link (Machine Class of Minds) or an Aid (Succor) to a machine's SPD? Should I just handwave the whole thing and be done with it?

Re: Racial Package Deal

Is this worth generating a Package Deal for? If so' date=' how would I model this ability? A small Telepathy or Mind Link (Machine Class of Minds) or an Aid (Succor) to a machine's SPD? Should I just handwave the whole thing and be done with it?[/quote']

Sure. Any of those could work. Figure out how you'd build the equipment, then give those constructs in a Package without a Focus. Or just make it part of background (but then you might consider how to keep every PC from taking it if that's not what you want). You could make it a Perk or a Talent (like Environmental Movement, Lightning Calculator, Eidetic Memory, or some other build you find more pleasing, or even simply costed as you feel is balanced given the benefits). It's really just up to you: how do you want it to work with the story, the characters, and the setting?

Guest lucky

To me this sounds like a reason that the character can use Powered Armor with little or no training. And without the implants that everyone else may be able to get.

(shorthand: handwave it as part of the background of the story)

That's petty much what I was thinking. I'm trying to justify why technologies like powered exoskeletons and high-end nanotech implants aren't more widespread: it's because only a small percentage of the population can interface with them effectively.

That's petty much what I was thinking. I'm trying to justify why technologies like powered exoskeletons and high-end nanotech implants aren't more widespread: it's because only a small percentage of the population can interface with them effectively.

Story is just as good a justification as power. At the most I might put a Distinctive Feature: Mutant on them as they obviously have that extra gene/part of a subspecies aspect.

I've been using asimular explanation for decades...to fully use "Cyber-tech" you have to be "Cyber-sensitive"...and only a few are...I just use it for background...at most I'd consider it a perq......currently I posit that it can be tested for but is not a distinctive feature, and does not trigger "Detects"....

I think you might want to consider if being this mutant race is a significant bonus. If players have to pay significant points for it, they are less likely to take it just because it sounds cool. If it's entirely free but confers great benefits, then everyone in the party will be a mutant. You might want that to be the case, you might not.

From what you're saying, the ability to wear powered armor sounds like a nice benefit. But, are there equally powerful vehicles driven the old-fashioned way too?

Guest lucky

From what you're saying' date=' the ability to wear powered armor sounds like a nice benefit. But, are there equally powerful vehicles driven the old-fashioned way too?[/quote']

Well, it's a supers game so there are multiple sources of power: genetic mutation, "radiation accidents," specialized training and technology. Tech-based characters (powered armour, for instance) are probably all members of this sub-species.

Technically since is is a benefit, and you want to restrict it somewhat it should costs something

Might be fuzzy game logic but I have 2 ideas that might work.

Create an unusual sense group specifically for the interface then you could apply what every limitors( focus etc) you want bring the cost in line with what you feel is sane. Then apply a (-0?) limitor to your power suit interface that causes a perception modifiers to those without the require sense.

or approch it form the otherside and build in perception negative to the interface and have the players buy a perception bonus applicable only for use to conteract the negatives of the interface.

Well' date=' it's a supers game so there are multiple sources of power: genetic mutation, "radiation accidents," specialized training and technology. Tech-based characters (powered armour, for instance) are probably all members of this sub-species.[/quote']

Based on this description, I think it should cost no points. Ultimately, the choice is yours of course.