How would you do this?

lapsedgamer

I am thinking of a character for Champions that I might want to play one day. When I was a kid, there was a show on TV called Exo-man about a guy who was in a wheelchair who had what was essentially a suit of powered armor. He could't move around without it, but when he was wearing it he was very strong and bullet proof. The suit would run out of power sometimes, leaving him pretty much helpless.

I want to do a variation on that theme. My guy is normally paralyzed--say he can only move his head and neck--but he has had a high-tech endoskeleton with computer controls intsalled surgically. He is stronger, faster and more durable than the average person and his reaction time is computer controlled. 30 STR, DEX, CON. Some extra BOD and heightened movement, as well as SPD of 6-7. Probably a hand attack for his titanium laced bones. I would give him some skills and Martial arts. Dardevil by way of Iron Man, essentially. My real question is how do I simulate his having an internal power cell that can run out. When his cell runs out he would not be able to move or use any STR.

I figure I would buy the most of his figured stats on a focus with no adds to figured. Would I be better off with a good sized END Battery, or should I just go with a physical limitation (dependence)? I like the END BAttery, but it would have to be pretty large. I would have to keep track of the END pretty closely, too. Every time I took an action it should drain power. What do you think?

Re: How would you do this?

The ENDurance Reserve seems to fit best (plus' date=' unless you buy the Recover otherwise, it can recharge over time). Even large ENDReserves are relatively cheap (100 END for 10 pts).[/quote']

YEP! Purchase most of his powers/characteristics with a -0 Uses End Reserve and then have the End Reserve be some form of Foci (which was actually quite a plot point iirc). I've used that idea or variations thereof for a number of characters.

To me he sounds a bit like Ultra-Man. Remember that Japanese Giant Robot show, those of you over 35 ? I think like Ultra-Man, he should have some kind of Warning Signal, like Ultra-Man's blinking light when he is running low on Power. That way he isn't caught with his proverbial pants down in the middle of a Super Battle.

To me he sounds a bit like Ultra-Man. Remember that Japanese Giant Robot show' date=' those of you over 35 ? I think like Ultra-Man, he should have some kind of Warning Signal, like Ultra-Man's blinking light when he is running low on Power. That way he isn't caught with his proverbial pants down in the middle of a Super Battle.[/quote']

I lived and died by Ultra-Man when I was a kid. That, Giant Robot and Speed Racer were my life's breath.

Ahem :rolleyes: ... I didn't even know that they (Ultra-man and Giant Robot) were any color than shades of silver and black until I was at GenCon as an adult and realized the crazy red and silver Japanese guy that looked like Ultra-Man... WAS Ultra-Man:nonp:

B&W TVs are hapily a thing of the past.

M.A.N.T.I.S., Exo-Man, Ultraman... I remember them all. Good times. :)

For the particular problem posed by this thread, another alternative would be to buy all the character's enhanced abilities with one Fuel Charge, duration as per your preference. When the Fuel Charge is activated he has access to all those abilities (including Instant ones IMO since the Fuel Charge is always running); but all those abilities are lost when the Charge is shut off or runs out. This way you only have to keep track of the amount of time the Fuel Charge is operating.

This concept should also include the Physical Limitation: Paralyzed, but probably only at the Infrequent level since his enhancements compensate for that.